a-ha Sheffield Arena
Posted 25/11/2010 - 18:37
Link
Ncie shots #2 is my fav
How did you arrange access? And were you limited to the pit at the front?
I'm interested in band photography. I did some last saturday here ..
http://www.smeggys.co.uk/images_smeggy_2010-11-20_peterborough_xmas_lights_gig.p...
How did you arrange access? And were you limited to the pit at the front?
I'm interested in band photography. I did some last saturday here ..
http://www.smeggys.co.uk/images_smeggy_2010-11-20_peterborough_xmas_lights_gig.p...
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 25/11/2010 - 18:41
Link
Thanks Smeggypants, some good stuff there.
Access was arranged through the bands management, yes access limited to the front row pit. As with all arena gigs, escorted to the pit 5 mins before band on stage & then escorted straight out of the arena, after first three songs. Smaller venues they usually let you stay for the show, but arenas are a lot more restrictive.
Access was arranged through the bands management, yes access limited to the front row pit. As with all arena gigs, escorted to the pit 5 mins before band on stage & then escorted straight out of the arena, after first three songs. Smaller venues they usually let you stay for the show, but arenas are a lot more restrictive.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Posted 25/11/2010 - 19:12
Link
#2 is my favourite too. I wonder if cloning out the red light above his hand would improve it. I'm being picky I know but my eye is drawn to it.
I like the others too, but that one is definitely the stand-out shot.
I like the others too, but that one is definitely the stand-out shot.
Posted 25/11/2010 - 20:00
Link
Thanks Cabstar
I tried my 50/1.2 just for kicks on saturday and it was nigh on impossible to focus on a moving target on stage. About a 5% keep rate if that.
Gwyn wrote:
#2 is my favourite too. I wonder if cloning out the red light above his hand would improve it. I'm being picky I know but my eye is drawn to it.
I like the others too, but that one is definitely the stand-out shot.
It's because there's no cluttered background. it obviously needs something more open than 2.8 to bokeh it out. #2 is my favourite too. I wonder if cloning out the red light above his hand would improve it. I'm being picky I know but my eye is drawn to it.
I like the others too, but that one is definitely the stand-out shot.
I tried my 50/1.2 just for kicks on saturday and it was nigh on impossible to focus on a moving target on stage. About a 5% keep rate if that.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 26/11/2010 - 10:09
Link
Very nice Gary
I like them all! But especially number 4. The background is fantastic, love the little OOF circles.
I like them all! But especially number 4. The background is fantastic, love the little OOF circles.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 26/11/2010 - 14:57
Link
I'm no rock concert fan but I love the pictures I see from these gigs. The lighting and expressions are so dynamic. I know photo club friends who take pictures like these and I'm well impressed. Your's are superb Gary. Keep them coming, I can put up with the watermark. I know why you have to do this but it wouldn't look good in a print exhibition.
Posted 26/11/2010 - 16:04
Link
Not my sort of thing at all and all the better for that, Gary! Very nice to see someone shooting someting really challenging! I can appreciate the difficulties involved here: timing, exposure, shutter speed, light control in constantly changing conditions. Well done!
(I bet the new K5 would be well suited to this kind of thing!)
(I bet the new K5 would be well suited to this kind of thing!)
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 26/11/2010 - 17:55
Link
Thanks for all the nice comments, yes a pair of k-5 is next on my shopping list
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


3665 posts
18 years
Grimsby,
UK
Found out I had access 6-30 night of the show, start time was 8-30 so literally 2 hours to get ready & drive 75 miles to Sheffield.
As always first three songs no flash.
This was a really good shoot, lots of great white light & an awesome video drop back, some front stage lights & monitors to navigate around, as can be seen in the group shot, but all in all a simple gig to shoot. Third songs was blazed in the gig shooters worst light bright red, so not many shots from that song.
105 images shot, 17 uploaded to agency, 16 accepted.
Lenses used tamron 17-50mm 2.8 & Pentax DA* 50-135mm 2.8
iso 800
Aperture f/2.8
shutter speeds between 1/180 & 1/320 not often I get to shoot at that high speed & low ISO for shows so good was the lighting.
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released