Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

A few macros

pschlute
Posted 14/03/2017 - 04:48 Link
derek897 wrote:
So hopefully now new tubes are on the way I'll be able to get more Dof.
Cheers

I think it is the lack of DOF that make these images.
derek897
Posted 14/03/2017 - 07:13 Link
pschlute wrote:
derek897 wrote:
So hopefully now new tubes are on the way I'll be able to get more Dof.
Cheers

I think it is the lack of DOF that make these images.

Mmm I know what you mean. But another stop or 2 would make it easier to focus, and should be a little sharper without losing the Look, I hope.
I know what i like, If not always why.
derek897
Posted 14/03/2017 - 08:12 Link
davidwozhere wrote:
Try scraping the anodised black paint off where the tube touches the camera contacts. I tried a normal set and got the same problem you describe and then I tried a scraped Vivitar 2x converter tube (with the glass removed) when it all worked properly. Also, it helps to have the camera set to 'M'.

I used to have a de-glassed 2x as well. I don't trust myself to scrape the paint, id probably end up frying my camera.
I always shoot manual anyway
Cheers
Derek
redbusa99
Posted 15/03/2017 - 00:34 Link
Derek, i think you will find using a Macro lens plus ext tubes will give a very narrow DOF no matter what aperture you use purely because of the high magnification which is why macro shooters now tend to use focus stacking to get sharpness all the way through the shot.
this is Nass's site , a lot of excellent information and help are in it including relevant links to what equipment, kit and methods he talks about. a very good read.
http://extreme-macro.co.uk/
odd lens or 2

Flickr
davidwozhere
Posted 15/03/2017 - 00:56 - Helpful Comment Link
That is indeed a fantastic site which got me started down the macro road - including his instructions for taking the glass out of an 'A' series 50mm lens
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
davidstorm
Posted 15/03/2017 - 19:12 Link
redbusa99 wrote:
Derek, i think you will find using a Macro lens plus ext tubes will give a very narrow DOF no matter what aperture you use purely because of the high magnification which is why macro shooters now tend to use focus stacking to get sharpness all the way through the shot.
this is Nass's site , a lot of excellent information and help are in it including relevant links to what equipment, kit and methods he talks about. a very good read.
http://extreme-macro.co.uk/

I agree to a point, but at F16 it would be nowhere near as extreme as Derek's images in this post are, not as extreme as the one I've uploaded to the post.

I've done a lot of work on this type of photography, F16 produces a usable DOF, even with tubes attached.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
derek897
Posted 15/03/2017 - 21:40 Link
Thanks for the links and tips guys.
I do know that with tubes I wont have a huge dof, but I often like the weird resulting effect that extreme narrow dof gives.
Looking forward to trying out the new tubes with contacts with my kit.
I also have a raynox dcr 250 and 505. The 250 is useful but so far I've yet to find a subject to shoot with the 505.
These can of course be stacked with tubes as well.
Havent done any focus stacking at all as most of my shots are handheld and not well planned
davidstorm
Posted 15/03/2017 - 22:43 - Helpful Comment Link
Hi Derek

Just so everyone can see, I've taken a shot tonight at F16, 200 ISO with a softbox attached to my manual flashgun. The lens is a Pentax 100WR Macro on the end of a full set of extension tubes with aperture contacts. The shot is just my Marshall Guitar Amp knobs, not very exciting, but I can tell you that each knob is 2.5cms (1 inch) apart. So you can see what depth of field F16 gets you on the end of full tubes.

Comment Image

This is far more usable for general macro work than F2.8!

Hope this helps.
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Edited by davidstorm: 15/03/2017 - 22:44
derek897
Posted 16/03/2017 - 22:19 Link
Excellent example David, cheers for that
derek897
Posted 18/03/2017 - 00:13 Link
Here is one without the tubes but with the ring flash at f10 1/160th and iso 200

Comment Image
IMGP0974crpedsm by dr.shutter, on Flickr
redbusa99
Posted 18/03/2017 - 09:48 - Helpful Comment Link
re scraping the coating off, i did it with a reversing ring to get CIF to work correctly with no camera fry up. you also have to take some off even with tubes with contacts unless they have a non coated face. this is a Jessops branded set showing where the coating needs removal (on all 3 tubes)

Comment Image
odd lens or 2

Flickr
Edited by redbusa99: 18/03/2017 - 09:50
Algernon
Posted 18/03/2017 - 10:47 - Helpful Comment Link
That's a bit of a mess. Use sandpaper it's cleaner and doesn't remove any metal.

Check carefully after sanding that the aperture info is being correctly transmitted.

Also with any lens check that you aren't getting too much diffraction at say f/16

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 18/03/2017 - 10:48
redbusa99
Posted 18/03/2017 - 15:11 Link
i know its a mess but did not have any emery paper so a knife had to do , it works so thats all that matters
odd lens or 2

Flickr

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.