A few line, shape and form images

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 25/01/2021 - 17:42
For uni, part of my oblique narrative. These are set to private on Flickr so I hope they show here!

1-3 are K1 & DA* 60-250mm
4 is K1 and 50-500mm

Uni Oblique Narrative by Gareth Williams, on Flickr

Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

PRYorkshire

Link Posted 25/01/2021 - 18:09
Really like number 1. Looks like there is lots of potential for different perspectives with the spiralling ladder and those diagonal supports, however I'm guessing access is somewhat restricted.
Paul

K1000, istD, K70

Helpful

Lubbyman

Link Posted 25/01/2021 - 18:14
Yep, oblique and there's line, shape and form .

To be picky (well, it is a uni project ), and all my own opinions of course (others may disagree):
- they all look rather grey, which weakens the impact.
- No. 1 has a bit too much blank tank on the RHS, perhaps a diferent crop would help.
- No. 2 I'd rather see just one pylon, the two don't seem to play well together.
- No. 3 stronger image to me if cropped to remove the part of the pylon on the LHS.
- No. 4 I think I see what you're aiming for, but it still says 'aircraft' to me, rather than oblique or line, shape, form. I wonder if rotating so the aircraft is diagonal and a tight crop might be stronger.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Helpful

LennyBloke

Link Posted 25/01/2021 - 20:40
I think Steves comments are pretty spot on - especially the overall greyness, that was what struck me.

No.1 has the greatest potential for me, a less standard crop maybe?
LennyBloke

Helpful

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 26/01/2021 - 15:28
Thanks all! 2nd time I've written this now as I accidentally closed my browser tab down

I would have preferred these as as square crop as in my minds eye I can see all these working in that format but we have to upload to the uni's insta account and they all have to be landscape format. As a square, like you said, that right hand side of the tank would be taken care of but from the roadside and at 250mm I was at full capacity and I've cropped this down already!

Pic 2 I have a few others taken tighter but I then lost all those lovely sweeping lines you see

Re the greyness, this was done on purpose. It helped that it was a very wet, dull grey day and you can't see from these images but on the others I shot on the day, when zoomed in, you can see the sheer amount of sleety rain that was falling at the time! More so, as we have just come out of a module that was looking at modern and postmodern images and as a rule a lot of the modern images from back in the day were this slightly silver looking grey and weren't a punchy monochrome, I have tried to emulate that look in these.

The plane shot was taken the following day when the weather had improved and was a nice clear day but has also been processed to match the others. I agree if I hadn't have lifted the shadows then the form would be better but I couldn't help it as it's a stunning plane!

Here's a few more from the wet day when shooting the other images:

Appreciate all the comments as always
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm OS HSM - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

Sry

Link Posted 27/01/2021 - 23:13
Keep up the good work Gareth, Uni seems to be positively affecting your photography.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.