A Day Out with MX-1

Gravelrash

Link Posted 18/05/2014 - 13:20
Just a bit of a photo diary really.

I bought the MX-1 as a convenient way of grabbing pictures when I'm out on the bike. It fits in the pocket of my leather jacket and won't stand me at a grands loss if I have a spill.

There's still interest in this pocket marvel so I'll share as much for my own benefit as for others.

Not yet out of the garden but sunshine and pretty colours.

First stop at the sailing club at Belmont. Looks like a nice idea.

Bolton Moor on a sunny day reminded me of a Spaghetti Western...hit the Cinema Scope button in Picassa

The hill don't seem so steep with an engine but he's smiling.

Going down the hill looks more like it.

The next 3 pictures have to be documented. I parked my bike at a 90 degree bend in the road to shoot a favourite road of mine in the Trough of Bowland. Gravel. When I set off the back end went, I put my foot down to stop the bike falling and my foot was on that same gravel. Cue 300kg of Superglide on it's side!

Well you've read about mothers lifting cars off toddlers? At this point I needed one of them. At the point of typing I'm still aching from the lift. Thankfully the bike is unscathed.

Moving on, further into the Trough, I'm rewarded with some beautiful vistas. At this point I've been very happy with the detail and lack of flare shooting into the sun.

Personally very happy with my pocket camera and a great day out in God's country. Shame a certain Member of the Lord's wants to Frack it 'cos it's industrial waste land!
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?

percy

Link Posted 18/05/2014 - 14:23
Nice pics - I'm tempted by the MX-1 for similar reasons to yours

(p.s. I know how you're feeling after a similar incident and needing to pick up an RT 1100 fully loaded with touring gear and a full tank of fuel!)

Gravelrash

Link Posted 18/05/2014 - 14:27
Don't be put off by the seeming lack of detail in some. I think it may be an artifact of the forum compression. The same resized pics look much more detailed on flickr.

And no fun dropping a bike.
Steve

Sometimes I'm serious and sometimes not, but I consider sarcasm an artform. Which is it today?

Stuey

Link Posted 18/05/2014 - 23:30
Nice shots

I don't have a motor cycle as I am awful on them, then off them then usually injured - I leave my cameras at home when I am on my mountain bike though - it just seems like I may as well leave my cameras on the washing machine and save the effort

I appreciate that a motorcycle on a road is very different and the mx1 looks like a great option
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

Gravelrash

Link Posted 19/05/2014 - 01:06
Well thanks to both of you for calling by. The MX-1 is up to the task I'm just working on representing the gorgeous sights. I'm a little disappointed that the resolution didn't quite come across in the resize. There's been a lot of interest in the MX-1 since it got to around the 200 mark.
Steve

jeffstclair

Link Posted 19/05/2014 - 08:12
The MX-1 is a a star ,and you are showing that with your stuff, 9 and 10 show the beauty of the place ...I dont really do landscape stuff (or motor bikes anymore) , but I know the Trough of Bowland from when I lived in Lancaster... (I'm back there next month )...jeff...

dpm

Link Posted 19/05/2014 - 08:32
No pics of the bike on it's side?

Nice set. I must admit, I occasionally think about something small to pop into the GS's tank bag, but the moby does most of what I'd like...

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 19/05/2014 - 08:50
Gravelrash wrote:
Well thanks to both of you for calling by. The MX-1 is up to the task I'm just working on representing the gorgeous sights. I'm a little disappointed that the resolution didn't quite come across in the resize. There's been a lot of interest in the MX-1 since it got to around the 200 mark.

It's a more realistic price for a compact (about half the original price, actually) but I still don't understand how they get it to work as it does given the tiny sensor. I've just been using the Digital Photography Review page where one can compare enlarged sections of the same still life scene shot with different cameras at varying ISOs. The MX 1's performance defies belief up to about 400ASA and RAW files are even more detailed. It's very tempting...
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

MattMatic

Link Posted 19/05/2014 - 09:40
Quote:
I still don't understand how they get it to work as it does given the tiny sensor

Excellent optics goes a long way
It is rather astonishing for a compact
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Phil1022

Link Posted 19/05/2014 - 16:19
Would echo everybody's comments about the MX 1 . An outstanding piece of kit for when big is inconvenient. Had some outstanding results in badly lit museums with it which is a bonus .

judderman62

Link Posted 19/05/2014 - 22:00
Yep only had mine a few days and love it already .. it's such a joy to use - to me feels very like using a DSLR in a smaller form.

already my fave, non DSLR, camera I own .

I oft wondered if people exaggerated the pleasure in using it or were being fanboys but it really is a joy to use
- -
Mike

Pentax K5 / Pentax K5 11/ Pentax K200D / Canon Rebel T1 i / Canon 650D / Pentax MX-1 / Fuji XF1 /Fuji X 10 / Canon EOS-M / Canon G10/ Pentax Mz-7 x 2

davidstorm

Link Posted 19/05/2014 - 22:33
These shots are impressive for a compact camera, albeit a high quality one. Details, colour, contrast all seem spot on to me.

I love my K-01 and often use it 'one-handed', I just wish it was a little more 'compact' than 'DSLR'! I can see the attraction in this little gem.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Gravelrash

Link Posted 20/05/2014 - 00:48
Well I've not heard any rumours of a MKII and they're now discountinued so hold on to it if you have one. Feeling we may have a future classic and I don't say that lightly.

It has succeeded for the purpose it was bought but I feel the need to push it a little in the future and see if I can get some more "artistic" work from it.

I'll be checking on you other MX-1 owners for inspiration so don't be shy on the forum posts peeps.
Steve

CiderDrinker

Link Posted 20/05/2014 - 14:19
Yep the MX-1 seems to have a bit of a cult following.

I can get the some point of view using the MX-1 as I do with the Mamiya C330, plus you can set it to a nice square format

In to the light This was taken a couple of days after getting my MX-1, just wondering around town.
Digital: Pentax K-1 II + Grip, Pentax K3II + Grip, Pentax MX-1.
Lenses: Pentax D-FA 24-70mm 2.8, D-FA 15-30 2.8, D-FA 70-200 2.8*, Pentax 35mm 2.4, 50mm 1.8, 18-135mm WR, 55-300mm HD, Sigma 70-300mm (macro), Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.
Film: Mamiya C330 Medium Format, Pentax Super ME.

percy

Link Posted 20/05/2014 - 14:35
I wonder how many MX-1 purchases this topic will create?

I'm getting closer to biting the bullet!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.