Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

A couple of Q10/05 pictures and a question...

Aitch53
Posted 29/07/2019 - 10:10 Link
I as having a browse through the usual web-sites and found a used 05 Toy Lens Telephoto for £20 - list price is about £70, though Wex do them new at £35. What the heck I thought, why not? Of course, the day after, I found SRS were selling new ones for the same price!

Anyway, between showers, I had a couple of quick test runs in our 'garden':
Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

The Q series really need an EVF for manual focusing! Especially when the sun is over your shoulder.

Anyway, the question. When I have the standard zoom on the Q10, there is a slight noise from the camera which I assume is the IS moving the sensor about. Not a problem, I get the same with my Olympus EM10 - they even refer to it in the manual as the 'ocean' noise. However when I put the 05 lens on, there are also a lot of bleeping noises, including something like Morse code. Quite loud, too - audible from a foot or so away. Anyone else noticed this or know if it's normal or a fault?
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
Lubbyman
Posted 29/07/2019 - 14:35 Link
For a £20 new lens, that's not bad at all.

It might be better to ask your questions in the Mirrorless Cameras section. But since I'm here, here are some thoughts.

I don't have the Q10/05 but can confirm that Q and Q-S1 bodies with 03 'toy' fisheye lens do not give the Morse code sounds you describe. Do you have AF and the focus the combination bleep switched on in the Q10? If so, it might just be a strange and harmless quirk of the Q10 when using a lens that cannot autofocus.

MF by looking at the screen is indeed a pain with the Q series. The 03 'toy' fisheye became usable for me when I found that someone had calibrated the focus distance marks on the lens and put the results online. It's now a simple matter of judging distance to subject, choosing appropriate distance mark and letting the large DOF from small aperture and small sensor take care of having the right things in focus. If might perhaps be worth spending some time calibrating the 05 then using the same focus technique rather than trying to use the screen. Don't be surprised if some distance marks on the 05 focus beyond infinity, they certainly do on the 03.

Good luck!

Steve
Aitch53
Posted 29/07/2019 - 16:50 Link
Thanks.

The focusing automatically changes from AF to MF in the settings, so I'll have to check through all the other settings to see if anything else has changed. Oh joy!
SteveH!

SteveF
Posted 30/07/2019 - 11:17 Link
For what it's worth, I can confirm what Lubbyman said in his post above, as I have the same combinations.
Aitch53
Posted 30/07/2019 - 12:59 Link
Aha! Sorted!. It was the Shake Reduction Option in menu C1 - set to Mode 2 rather than Mode 1.

All is now quiet!
SteveH!

Lubbyman
Posted 30/07/2019 - 18:37 Link
Well done. I'd forgotten that there was more than one SR option.

Looking forward to hearing that you've callibrated the focus.

Steve
Aitch53
Posted 30/07/2019 - 20:22 Link
Have to calibrate my eyes first!
SteveH!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.