Fairford...The Crowd

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 28/07/2019 - 16:53
Some images to hopefully convey the atmosphere of the event via crowd. All with K-50 / DA HD 55-300WR as I didn't want to be changing lenses back and forth.

1. Early arrivals set up

2. Breitling No.6

3. Old Bike

4. Ice Cream van

5. Feel the Force

6. Canadian Ramp Queue

7. Thanks Dad

8. Taking a break

9. Eyes Left

10. Eyes Right

11. Big Wheel

12. The Italians are coming

13. Full House (over 170,000 visitors over three days)

14. The French are coming

15. Spanish Navy Harrier

16. Blue smoke

17. A400M

Mike-P

Link Posted 29/07/2019 - 15:58
Having never actually been into the show I have often wondered what it is like. Not sure I could put up with that amount of people tbh, I'm suprised they are allowed to put up tents there.

Can just imagine a row of tents along the crowd line along with numerous pairs of step ladders.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 29/07/2019 - 17:52
Mike-P wrote:
Having never actually been into the show I have often wondered what it is like. Not sure I could put up with that amount of people tbh, I'm suprised they are allowed to put up tents there.

Can just imagine a row of tents along the crowd line along with numerous pairs of step ladders.

The tents / ladders aren't allowed within 10m of the fenceline for obvious reasons and tents/brollies are limited to 1.5m in height.

This year for the first time my son and I didn't make a frenzied dash to get to the fenceline but found a slightly raised spot just in front of one of the twee premium catered tents/paddock. Other than when stuff was taking off (nosewheel lift off type shots) didn't really lose out and it was a bit less stressful with no-one trying to elbow their way in or leaning over your shoulder. a lightweight plastic caravan type step about 10-12" high is the only 'improvement' I would add if we did the same again.

jeallen01

Link Posted 30/07/2019 - 17:02
Some good shots, especially some of those of the crowds and the static planes - and hopefully the brolleys/tents probably didn't get too much use at the weekend.

I agree with not forcing your way right to the front at Fairford, but hanging back ten yds or so from the crowdline because the ground rises slghtly there and so you can look over the tops of those shoulder-to-shoulder at the front.

OTOH, bought (expensive!) tickets for Friday as I couldn't face the weekend days traffic jams - and then obviously didn't go because we could not face all the rain on that day (not that we actually missed much as most of the flying display that day was cancelled)!
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 30/07/2019 - 17:02

Mike-P

Link Posted 30/07/2019 - 17:20
jeallen01 wrote:

OTOH, bought (expensive!) tickets for Friday as I couldn't face the weekend days traffic jams - and then obviously didn't go because we could not face all the rain on that day (not that we actually missed much as most of the flying display that day was cancelled)!

I have seen some absolutely cracking shots from Friday of the Harrier doing a vertical take off in the pouring rain with all the spray going everywhere. I would have given up all my shots on the Sunday for that one.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

jeallen01

Link Posted 30/07/2019 - 17:59
Mike-P wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="jeallen01"]...I have seen some absolutely cracking shots from Friday of the Harrier doing a vertical take off in the pouring rain with all the spray going everywhere. I would have given up all my shots on the Sunday for that one.

More "dedication to the cause" than I have (and certainly that SWMBO has)! Just couldn't face getting soaking wet (and probably pretty cold as well) for a long period, and then having to drive home again in the same condition! Not being very mobile ATM wouldn't have helped either (a knee Arthroscopy 3 weeks prior to that day).
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 30/07/2019 - 17:59

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 31/07/2019 - 12:28
Agree Mike, the Harrier in the wet did provide the opportunity for some excellent shots. Also a bit of moisture in the air does sometimes turn what might have been a nice but unspectacular shot into something more interesting...BUT have to feel for Jeallen and others who spent a lot of money on tickets they didn't end up using. One of the major disadvantages with the advance purchase system these and other events rely on these days. Had we been faced with heavy rain for all or most of day on saturday I doubt we would have done a round trip of 280 miles for the experience either and would have lost 116 just on two tickets.

Am keeping one eye on the weather for Duxford in September as a strong possibility as we haven't been there yet and I personally prefer the balance of aircraft types likely to display there...too many near identical fast jets at Fairford...would prefer more variety of aircraft types.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.