A (somewhat rhetorical) ethical question.

ChrisA
Posted 21/05/2008 - 20:14 Link
Consider the following hypothetical scenario.

An amateur photographer goes pro. Instead of the amateur places he used to hang out at, he now frequents places more in keeping with his professional status.

However, every so often, he comes across something he needs help with. Presumably the professionals he now hangs out with charge for their time, and books, courses, etc, are expensive.

So he heads back over to where the amateurs hang out, knowing them to be a generous-hearted and helpful bunch, and asks for help.

As usual, the amateurs are very helpful, and freely give of themselves and their time to answer his questions as completely as possible.

Armed with the knowledge thus acquired, our pro 'tog heads back off to ply his trade, his income and doubtless status amplified from the help and advice freely given by so many.

Until the next time....
______________________________


I can't think of the question now. It was something like, "Is this nice?"
amoringello
Posted 21/05/2008 - 20:34 Link
Why not? Plenty of technology websites out there, for example, that charge for their information. But you can get the same information from plenty of free blogs, forums, etc...

Depending on the subject matter, are you willing and/or able to discern the good information from the chaff that might be given by well meaning, but perhaps less than fully knowledgeable folks?
Can you afford the time to investigate and to potentially be given wrong information?

For example, I feel free to offer advice where I feel I have something contribute here... although a few times (hopefully not too often), I have been corrected or others have filled in gaps left by my explanations.

If I happen to give advice in line with what a pro could have given, excellent. Hopefully I will also get the same in return -- some day.

I think in some cases it is just quicker and easier for some people to go directly to a paid source. I prefer the more friendly atmosphere of places like this.
Malo1961
Posted 21/05/2008 - 21:08 Link
I guess I know were you are coming from Chris. And to answer your last question, It could be nice, if that person should gives as much as he takes. But........,if he just takes and then runs of to his new ,,Pro friends'',and forgets were he came from...............(fill in the blanks :wink
Hypothetical speaking I could sometimes answer a question ,and think afterwards: Why bother any longer.
In fact......maybe I did ,not so long ago
Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.


Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.
Father Ted
Posted 21/05/2008 - 22:28 Link
Quote:
, if that person should gives as much as he takes. .
I think, when it comes to forums, they should be open to anyone. Although, it should be a two way street. If you don't know something, then ask, BUT if you learn something, then share it.

But, that's just my opinion.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
chirpy
Posted 21/05/2008 - 23:24 Link
IMO, it should always be give and take - or rather take and give.

I am involved (and moderate) in professional technical forums and get irked when all I ever see from someone is "take" when those that "give" do so freely of their time. I'm always happy to help anyone, but without something in return from those that never make any effort to give back to the community, I put them into my "rude" book and tend to ignore them.
iceblinker
Posted 22/05/2008 - 00:02 Link
I enjoy "giving" on forums and don't expect anything in return from a poster - except a reply if I ask them a question in return.

Makes no difference to me if they are pro or am. Does make a difference (on this forum) if they have no longer have interest in Pentax equipment.
~Pete
Argee
Posted 22/05/2008 - 00:06 Link
Quote:
Consider the following hypothetical scenario.
Well, it isn't hypothetical, as we know, but a diplomatically-phrased comment by ChrisA on the latest posting. I'm fairly sure that the reason we are visited in this way is that the "professional" forum he belongs to have swiftly worked out the level of knowledge, expertise and courtesy and found them all to be lacking.

I spent many hours answering in the past (mostly by PM to prevent public retorts), but without either effect or acknowledgement. Most advice was initially accepted then argued over, a common trait by this (hypothetical) poster, seen here many times.

I no longer even read any of his posts now, but having seen this thread - and the subject being so obvious - I briefly scanned the latest (hypothetical) thread. Nothing has changed, nor will it ever. It completely baffles me why anyone bothers to acknowledge someone who has, in effect, become nothing more than a troll.
Z1, K10D, D-BG2 Grip, DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL, DA 1:3.5-6.3 18-250mm ED AL(IF), AF540FGZ Flash, FA 1:1.7 50mm, DA 1:2.4 70mm Limited, Wireless Remote (Did I offend you? Click here).
Don
Posted 22/05/2008 - 00:56 Link
To quote an old maritial arts instructor, I once studied under...

(as he held me down in a chokehold....javascript:emoticon(''))

"Here's the thing....
You know everything I taught you....
You know that I know everything I taught you....
But you'll NEVER know, if I taught you EVERYTHING that I know..."

one would hope that by sharing, your teaching your pupils to share.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
photo*ist
Posted 22/05/2008 - 04:47 Link
Quote:
Until the next time....

August 7, 2007
http://tinyurl.com/5a4yaq
gartmore
Posted 22/05/2008 - 11:51 Link
ChrisA and Argee, I couldn't agree more with what you have said
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
MattMatic
Posted 22/05/2008 - 13:19 Link
Quote:
It completely baffles me why anyone bothers to acknowledge someone...
Because sometimes others can learn from the answers
Personally, though, I've done enough "hand-holding"
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Don
Posted 22/05/2008 - 14:15 Link
Quote:
Because sometimes others can learn from the answers
javascript:emoticon('') been saved from embarrassment many a time when somebody else asks the right questions. javascript:emoticon('')
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
hefty1
Posted 22/05/2008 - 14:41 Link
I think forums like this one need people like pe... er, the hypothetical poster, in order to survive. It's truly great to have a resource like this where there are so many willing and able to give good advice, however, that advice can only usually be given as long as there is a steady supply of people who ask for it.

To have one without the other would see the forum wither and die like so many before it. If I happen to give advice to somebody who finds it useful and then profits from it then I wish them all the best and I'm happy to have been of some service. Karma normally ensures that I'm repaid by receiving good advice in return, whether it be here or on one of the other (non-photography) forums that I frequent.

This forum (like my other favourite, saabcentral.com) has an excellent balance of people asking for help and people willing to give it - thus ensuring that it doesn't become stale. Long may this continue!
Joining the Q
Argee
Posted 22/05/2008 - 16:40 Link
Quote:
... that advice can only usually be given as long as there is a steady supply of people who ask for it.

... Karma normally ensures that I'm repaid by receiving good advice in return
Of course, but ask sensible questions and have the courtesy or common sense to look stuff up in the manual, etc. first.

When were you - or anyone else, come to that - repaid with an answer to the simplest of questions by this poster? Did we ever get an answer to the music copyright issue?

Someone who seems to believe that you can buy professionalism and results with equipment and software, without taking the trouble to learn even the most basic principles first is a just time-waster, in my view.

Quote:
Because sometimes others can learn from the answers
Granted, but a question like "Need urgent help on how <fill blank> works" when the answer is to be found in the manual, or in other parts/posts of this forum is just lazy.

Enough - it should be obvious that I feel strongly about this and I will not fall out with other respected members of this forum by continuing in this vein.

Ray.
Z1, K10D, D-BG2 Grip, DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL, DA 1:3.5-6.3 18-250mm ED AL(IF), AF540FGZ Flash, FA 1:1.7 50mm, DA 1:2.4 70mm Limited, Wireless Remote (Did I offend you? Click here).
Don
Posted 22/05/2008 - 16:58 Link
Quote:
Enough - it should be obvious that I feel strongly about this and I will not fall out with other respected members of this forum by continuing in this vein.
It takes alot more than a difference of opinion to "fall out" with the good people here.

It helps to remember that the opposite of love is not hate.
love and hate are too similar. they are both forms of passion.
the opposite of love is apathy.


so it would appear that failing to respond (to anybody in particular) out of apathy is the best revenge!
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo