How to Post Images

Topic Lock(s)
  • Topic Locked - You will not be able to post to this topic. To keep guidlines clear
  • Edit Lock Enabled - You will not be able to edit/delete your posts in this topic.

johnriley

Link Posted 05/04/2008 - 13:59
Images can be posted in the forums using hot-linking. This means that the image must already be somewhere on the web - a web hosting service such as Photobucket or perhaps on your own website. Please ensure images are no wider than 800 pixels for the competitions and also wherever else possible to reduce side-to-side scrolling on the forum.

First upload your image to your hosting service, such as Photobucket. Copy the Img URL, which on Photobucket is the last option in a short list of different URLs. Left click this link to select it and then right click it and selct Copy. This will copy the URL to your computer.

Now come to this forum and click in the message box so you get the flashing cursor. For some hosting services click the "Img" tag shown above the message box. Paste (Ctrl +V) the URL. Click the "Img*" tag again. This is simplified with Photobucket, and you only need to paste (Ctrl+V) as Photobucket inserts the Img tags automatically - they are already included in the URL.

Continue with the text of the message and submit when ready.

This will show the forum where to look for the image and it should be displayed.

Possible reasons for it not working are sites that do not allow hot-linking (such as ePHOTOzine) and browser settings, especially Firefox. Internet Explorer and Safari appear to be OK.
Best regards, John
Last Edited by johnriley on 11/08/2009 - 17:55

Peter Bargh

Link Posted 16/07/2008 - 20:22
We now have a dedicated gallery, where images can be uploaded and they are automatically assigned to your profile so no more searching for pics by a particular user. You can set a category, you can add tags so others find it easier to search. We feel this is a big step forward for Pentax User but it's got overlooked in the heat of the moment.

Hope you use the new system. We've limited it to one upload per day to keep ensure everyone's pictures get seen rather than the flickr approach where everyone can dump their entire memory card of images. I've uploaded my first to the gallery. It's one that I was really proud of and shows the brilliantly competent metering of the K10D.

fatspider

Link Posted 02/08/2008 - 20:14
How do we link to images assigned to our profiles?
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

ChrisA

Link Posted 02/08/2008 - 23:35
Peter Bargh wrote:
We've limited it to one upload per day

Hmm. How were Pschlute's Amur Leopard and Southern Ground Hornbill added on '30/07/2008 - 23:52' and '30/07/2008 - 23:57' respectively, then?

I'm delighted they're both there; don't misunderstand me. Just wondering how the limitation works.

It can't mean 'within a 24 hour period' either, since his Palmer Sport Jaguars were added on '31/07/2008 - 00:02'.

I do like the leopard. Sharp, yet quite fluffy.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
Last Edited by ChrisA on 02/08/2008 - 23:36

Malo1961

Link Posted 03/08/2008 - 00:11
Maybe he is a paying subscriber Chris. I am also and I can upload several pictures within minutes of each other. It is explained by Peter (PUT) in a earlier post.
Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.

ChrisA

Link Posted 03/08/2008 - 00:20
Malo1961 wrote:
Maybe he is a paying subscriber Chris. I am also and I can upload several pictures within minutes of each other. It is explained by Peter (PUT) in a earlier post.

Yes, now you mention it, I recall something along those lines. If this is the case, then the 1 image per day is clearly an arbitrary limit imposed purely as an incentive for people to subscribe.

Or so it seems to me. If it's one-a-day max for non-subscribers, and as-many-as-you-like for subscribers, then I can't square that with Peter's explanation here:

Peter Bargh wrote:
We've limited it to one upload per day to keep ensure everyone's pictures get seen rather than the flickr approach where everyone can dump their entire memory card of images.

I mean, that either is the reason, or it isn't. If it is, why give subscribers a higher limit?
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

Malo1961

Link Posted 03/08/2008 - 08:16
ChrisA wrote:

I mean, that either is the reason, or it isn't. If it is, why give subscribers a higher limit?

It is considered normal to give certain advantages to subscribers. Not only here, but everywhere you visit websites. I guess that the balance between paying and non paying members is largely in favor of the latter. And the meaning of the gallery is to show only your best ones.(with the possibility to showcase your work in the Magazine.)
And that is a different and understandable reason. The gallery isn't the place meant for C & C, as is the traditional your "Photos Section".
Where as you know there have been a lot of "photo dumps" with the request of C & C.( 5 or more pictures in one post)
So....., in this case i think it is a valid and understandable rule/limitation.

Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

pschlute

Link Posted 03/08/2008 - 08:29
Hi all

Yes I am a subscriber, only recently renewed it after having let it lapse many moons ago. I do remember reading about the limits to gallery loading (not the reason I renewed), and I have to say I tend to agree with ChrisA. Perhaps a general 2-4 per day limit would be better.

The gallery should be somewhere where we can place what we feel is our "best" work, and not backup storage !

Glad you liked the photos Chris, I do appreciate the comments.
Peter

My Flickr page

ChrisA

Link Posted 03/08/2008 - 09:48
Malo1961 wrote:
It is considered normal to give certain advantages to subscribers. Not only here, but everywhere you visit websites....(snip)

Yes, absolutely. I completely understand giving advantageous terms to those that pay. And just to reiterate - I have no objection at all to people posting several pictures when they're as fine as Peter S's.

As with other things where abuse is unlikely, I think it's similarly unlikely that many will abuse the gallery, and it would soon attract comment if any did. A simple statement at the top of the gallery saying something like "this should be for your best work", would do it I think.

I guess my gripe is that when there are statements of policy being made by the powers that be, I think those statements should be clear and complete.

Saying "We've limited it to one per day for this reason" is incomplete, and therefore a bit misleading.

The assumption may be that subscribers to the mag are less likely to be ignorant of the purpose of the gallery, but this is just nonsense. My dad and brother are both subscribers, but hardly ever visit the forum, where discussions like this take place. And I was an active member here long before I started subscribing to the mag.

Gwyn

Link Posted 03/08/2008 - 10:07
It is my experience on other forums with a separate gallery with no upload limits that they do get abused, used as online storage, and get the entire contents of "my pitures" dumped in them regardless of the quality of those photos. Plus they are used by members who never contribute to the forum and ultimately do not take kindly to criticism by members who are active in the forum.
I left one otherwise very good forum due to such issues, and being flamed for a comments I made in the gallery there. The owner of that forum could not be bothered to moderate correctly when it came to the gallery.
I am completely in favour of a one per day limit for the gallery, though it is nice as a subscriber to get a little perk such as multiple uploads.
I think the gallery should be for your best photos, the ones you are truly happy with. C&C photos should be in the forum, so that everyone can learn from them.

johnriley

Link Posted 03/08/2008 - 10:11
Is this really an issue? Non-subscribers can post one image per day. Subscribers have the advantage that they can post whenever they wish to. I think that's fine. That's freedom!

ePHOTOzine also has a restriction of one per day. However, e2 members can upload the first 16 pictures as they wish to. I think that's fine as well.
Best regards, John

ChrisA

Link Posted 03/08/2008 - 10:35
johnriley wrote:
Is this really an issue? Non-subscribers can post one image per day. Subscribers have the advantage that they can post whenever they wish to. I think that's fine. That's freedom!

It's only an issue when things aren't clear.

You've made it clear here, but where's the clear statement of what's allowed and what isn't in the gallery itself?

Also, before I linked my forum membership to my subscription, I tried to upload a photo to the gallery. I messed it up, and deleted it. It let me reupload - but I realised I'd messed that up too, so I deleted it again, and then it wouldn't let me upload the final correct version, saying I'd exceeded my limit.

So what is the policy? Is it one image, that you can replace once but not twice if you've made a mistake?

Anyway, sorry if this is all mountains out of molehills. None of it applies to me since it's very unlikely I'll be uploading one a month, let alone more than one a day.

johnriley

Link Posted 03/08/2008 - 12:32
Most systems on Internet sites will lock you out if you repeatedly fail to do something. I guess it's a safety feature against repeated "attacks".

EPZ is the same. If you upload one image you can replace it, but it won't let you replace it again and you have to wait for the next day.

The gallery has been left for users to use to display their images that they want people to see - it's as simple as that. There are no rules as such, although some types of images would certainly be removed. Use it to show your best work.

You're right that to take advantage of more than one upload per day you need to link your membership to the forum. This is how the system knows you are allowed to do this, and I agree that it was not quite clear from the outset. As this was a new feature no doubt its implementation was lower on the list than the other problems being experienced.
Best regards, John

fatspider

Link Posted 03/08/2008 - 17:28
All this discussion of uploading and been a subscriber is all well and good, but it doesn't answer my question, "How do I link to images in my gallery? I tried inserting the URL from my profile gallery as you do for photobucket etc but my image just didn't show, I eventually linked it to photobucket to get it to work.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Malo1961

Link Posted 03/08/2008 - 17:41
Hi Spider,
I'll take a wild guess now, but I think this site doesn't allow hot linking.
Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.

Topic Lock(s)
  • Topic Locked - You will not be able to post to this topic. To keep guidlines clear
  • Edit Lock Enabled - You will not be able to edit/delete your posts in this topic.