Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

645D ponderings

LennyBloke
Posted 25/03/2014 - 09:16 Link
With the upcoming 645DII (or 2014, or whatever it's to be called) I expect to see the price of the existing 645D start to fall, but how far do you think it is likely to fall, and how much better will the new model be?

My photography is primarily landscape and travel, but I wouldn't rule out a return to wedding photography and possibly portraiture in the future. The current 645D seems ideal for "static" stuff, whereas the new model is likely to be significantly better at higher ISO (so generally more flexible) - so I doubt there would be any revolutionary advances for my stuff.

I'd guestimate that when the new one arrives the price difference will be about £4-5k (with the 645D at around £4-5k and the 645DII sub £10k) - so on the face of it the existing model looks to be a good buy?

Any thoughts?
LennyBloke
johnriley
Posted 25/03/2014 - 09:39 Link
The price has fallen considerably already. The only thing that stops me buying one right now is a lack of the £6299 to do so. There's nothing I could justify it for unfortunately.
Best regards, John
Fletcher8
Posted 25/03/2014 - 09:56 Link
I am really looking forward to seeing the 645DII, I get the feeling it will be a superb camera. I can really see the advantages of MF, but like John, unfortunately I don't have the funds. But its nice to dream about if I win the Lottery.

Lenny, If you purchased a 645D, what would you do with all that FA glass you have? Lol.
Fletcher8.
Edited by Fletcher8: 25/03/2014 - 09:59
LennyBloke
Posted 25/03/2014 - 10:08 Link
Fletcher8 wrote:

Lenny, If you purchased a 645D, what would you do with all that FA glass you have? Lol.

The 24 and the 85 would stay with me. The surplus 85 plus the 2 zooms (28-70/2.8 and 80-200/2.8 ) would have to go, as would some of the DA lenses

johnriley wrote:
The price has fallen considerably already. The only thing that stops me buying one right now is a lack of the £6299 to do so. There's nothing I could justify it for unfortunately.

Yes the prices have fallen, and I think they have started again (you can knock £1300 of your price currently) - what I'm not sure of is how much further they would fall.
LennyBloke
aliengrove
Posted 25/03/2014 - 11:29 Link
I would imagine that when the new model comes out a few second hand old models will appear on the market.
LennyBloke
Posted 25/03/2014 - 12:59 Link
aliengrove wrote:
I would imagine that when the new model comes out a few second hand old models will appear on the market.

I expect so, but it's hard to guess what sort of price they would be....

...the advent of the MkII will probably reduce the price of the MkI (New) which in turn should reduce second hand prices - but I would expect a fair number to be traded in against the new model, after all if the new 645D price drops to around £4k (body) then second hand they are going to struggle to get more than £2.5-3k for them on the open market, whereas it's easier to do a trade with some incentives maybe?

I might go for a second hand 645D from a dealer, but I'd find it quite a difficult decision to buy one privately, with no guarantee - presumably the price of repairs, shutter replacements, etc. is quite high compared to APS-C bodies
LennyBloke
LennyBloke
Posted 27/03/2014 - 08:52 Link
LennyBloke wrote:
...I might go for a second hand 645D from a dealer, but I'd find it quite a difficult decision to buy one privately, with no guarantee - presumably the price of repairs, shutter replacements, etc. is quite high compared to APS-C bodies

There's currently one on Ebay (UK) with an FA55-110 lens at £3999 from a "recognised" member - but he's not accepting offers in the region of £500
LennyBloke

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.