50-135 DA*

VividArt

Link Posted 02/02/2015 - 21:43
I have a question about how people use this lens. I find this lens to be super prone to flaring. Do the users of this lens operate it without a UV filter to prevent this? Do others have the same issues with this lens?
Of all the lenses I have, I have a few, this one is the worst for looking into light. The best I have tried is the Da15. It loves the light.
Any thoughts or experiences with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

JMD

spinno

Link Posted 02/02/2015 - 22:11
Do you use a hood?
David

cabstar

Link Posted 02/02/2015 - 22:13
Always used it with a hood and never with a filter I always thought flares where we'll controlled with this lens.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

VividArt

Link Posted 02/02/2015 - 22:19
Hello,

I do use the hood - always. It's worked well with the sun at my back, like really well, but for sunsets or portraiture with the sun behind the subject. Flaring. Must be the filter...

JMD
Last Edited by VividArt on 02/02/2015 - 22:23

davidstorm

Link Posted 03/02/2015 - 00:05
I would never use this lens with a filter, I suspect this to be the primary cause of the problem. I've never seen any flaring with my 50-135.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Nigelk

Link Posted 03/02/2015 - 09:56
My experience is the same as yours VividArt. Love the lens, I don't use filters, always use the hood, if there is direct sunlight in the frame I get bad flaring, which is annoying as I enjoy using this lens for landscape. I guess it helps explain the very deep hood. The only lens I have which is worse for flare is my Tamron 90mm macro which is a good lens until you get direct light coming down the barrel. The 16-50 DA* on the other hand is a joy to shoot into direct light sources.

Papa_Lazarou

Link Posted 03/02/2015 - 10:06
I personally have no issues with the 50-135 and find the 16-50 more prone to flare. Go figure.
My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/philnmorgan/

VividArt

Link Posted 03/02/2015 - 10:11
Hello,
Thanks for your reply. I guess I should dare to remove the filter....I know a guy that bought some aftermarket hood that was much bigger for his 50-135.
Yeah the 16-45 was great for that, great lens. The lens that impresses me is the da15 f4 for direct sunlight. Quite an impressive lens in every respect. so many great lenses

Regards,

JMD
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.