3rd party battery - K5

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 16/10/2012 - 23:30
As yet I've not run out of juice 'in field' despite only having the one battery...
I'm sure it'll happen at some point though and want to be prepared for it...
The Pentax battries however are really expensive (what is the justification for this?) so I'm thinking 3rd party for my spare battery which hopefully I'll rarely use...
Are there any particular brands I should look at or avoid? (have seen one made but Hama who incidently made my tripod which is ok)
Is the a cheap supplier? (The Hama batteries are only 15 cheaper than the Pentax version in my local store)
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

johnriley

Link Posted 16/10/2012 - 23:34
I always buy the proper battery . I was talking to a professional the other day and he felt the same.

However, there are those who disagree.

I would shop around for the best price you can find for the Pentax battery.
Best regards, John

CMW

Link Posted 16/10/2012 - 23:47
You might try the Maxsima battery available on Amazon. Unlike some of the others offered as 'replacements', it has the same capacity as the Pentax branded battery. I've used one for two years interchangeably with my Pentax one. In terms of performance the two seem indistinguishable to me.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 16/10/2012 - 23:48
I've looked around and the best price I can find is still around the 55 quid mark (a dubious looking ebay shop)

How do they justify these kind of prices??... It's a battery...

The Pentax battery I have seems to last forever so a second one is really 'just in case'... I'll charge it once a month and leave it in the bag but for the most part just use the pentax one....

Wish the K5 had an AA-tray option like the K-r does as I always have eneloops for flashes (still have 4 sets - gave 2 sets up with the K-x when I sold it)
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Film:

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 16/10/2012 - 23:49
CMW wrote:
You might try the Maxsima battery available on Amazon. Unlike some of the others offered as 'replacements', it has the same capacity as the Pentax branded battery. I've used one for two years interchangeably with my Pentax one. In terms of performance the two seem indistinguishable to me.

Thanks. I'll check this out now
Digital:
Flash:
Film:

johnriley

Link Posted 16/10/2012 - 23:57
Looking closer to home here are some better battery prices:

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/c/211/Pentax-Camera-Batteries.html
Best regards, John

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 17/10/2012 - 00:06
Cheers John...

55 quid for the Pentax
30 quid the Hama
the Maxsima as recomended by CMW comes out at just over a tenner http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxsima-Battery-Li-replacement-warranty/dp/B004BLLZQM/re...

I'm pretty poor right now so will most likely go for the cheapest option...

Thanks again
Dave
Digital:
Flash:
Film:

johnriley

Link Posted 17/10/2012 - 00:09
I know the feeling, bought too many cameras....and every time they need extra batteries.

The best one for batteries has been the K20D, which lasts for ever on a charge. I exaggerate, but it's pretty amazing.
Best regards, John

InFESTation

Link Posted 17/10/2012 - 00:40
I use some 3rd party batteries in my K-r, what I have found with them is they are better after a recent charge (within 7 days), they will give me loads of extra shots, the genuine pentax battery will hold its charge alot longer.

I work away often, up-to 6 weeks in a stint I can put the Pentax battery in and shoot away for a respectable amount of time, but the 3rd party ones 20-30 shots and am showing amber on the indicator and empty not many later.

It just means I need to remember to put the 3rd party battery when I get back, so as long as you don't do similar leaving battery for extended period can't see you being to disappointed with a 3rd party battery.
Pint o' rough & a game o' darts anyone

Smeggypants

Link Posted 17/10/2012 - 04:41
I have 2 x pentax branded batteries and 4 x 3rd party batteries for my K-5s

I got the 3rd party batteries off Ebay for about 7 each. They perform just as well as the Pentax batteries. I get over 2000 shots per battery, unless I start using live view in which case the drain is a lot quicker
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Smeggypants

Link Posted 17/10/2012 - 04:42
johnriley wrote:
Looking closer to home here are some better battery prices:

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/c/211/Pentax-Camera-Batteries.html

All of those prices are a rip off IMO
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

McBrian

Link Posted 17/10/2012 - 08:18
I've not had my K5 for very long but I bought a couple of 3rd party D-L90 batteries from Amazon for 5.85 and to date I've had no problems, I don't see any discernable difference in performace compared to the official Pentax battery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002WDEGIA/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

jeallen01

Link Posted 17/10/2012 - 08:38
For the K-5, I have the original Pentax battery and then bought 2x InoV8 batteries at the begining of 2011.
Having used them, in no particular order, the Pentax one is still OK as is one of the Inov8s and they give a very good life - but the other one began to go flat very quickly after 1yr. Luckily the supplier had given a 2-yr guarrantee and replaced the faulty unit without argument.

OTOH, the smaller batteries in the K-R don't last ever so near as long - but then I haven't had the camera for long enough to make any real comparisons between the original battery, the two spares I bought from the UK and the spare that came with a multinational-use charger from the Far East.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

johnriley

Link Posted 17/10/2012 - 08:50
I think part of the problem in judging other peoples' comments on batteries is that their behaviour will depend very much on how they are used, and we all probably have very different patterns of use.

Some will take a few shots over a long period, so it will suit a battery that holds its charge. Some will do a massive studio shoot all in one go, so it will suit a battery that has plenty of power but long term staying power won't be so important.

Then again, we know what a Pentax battery is, and also a handful of other recognised makes. We have no idea what the cheap batteries are, so you could buyt a good one and I might not. The next time we buy a battery labelled the same it might be an entirely different one.

So I'm sure that we're all right in our own particular circumstances, with our own particular shooting patterns.
Best regards, John

dougf8

Link Posted 17/10/2012 - 09:55
My value for money approach is.

Keep the Pentax battery for "special" moments/shoots and a guaranteed capacity.

The eBay batteries have all been fine. Seemingly identical but from different sellers. The Hahnel batteries more expensive but seemingly identical to the eBay batteries.

It is rare I use an ebay battery and exhaust its capacity. So they work for me 97.522% of the time. They save me 45 a time. The price of a Vivitar 135mm f2.8 close focus lens or an aw camera bag.

Looking at it another way, Why would I pay 10 times as much for battery capacity I don't need?

(I'm happy taking the risk that the ebay battery will explode or that it will run out when the squirrels I'm shooting decide to form a squirrel pyramid! )
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 17/10/2012 - 10:09
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.