Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

365 (or 52) project

Gwyn
Posted 14/12/2013 - 13:25 Link
Has anyone done a 365 project, or a 52 project if 365 was too daunting to do?
If you have did you have a theme or just photograph something, anything every day/week? Did you manage to complete the year, or did you fall by the wayside after a week or two?

I am considering starting such a project for myself, in an effort to kick start my photography again. Any hints tips, suggestion, inspirations are welcome.
Posted 14/12/2013 - 13:57 Link
I have done two 52 projects now through a Group on Flickr. No theme as such, just the goal to produce one good photograph each week. This years 52 is coming to an end, with only two weeks to go and I will probably give it a go again next year. Generally, I've not struggled to get a photograph but sometimes I have left it to the last minute to take the photograph within the deadline time for each week.

Committing yourself to a 365 takes a lot of dedication and it is very easy to fall by the wayside with the 365. I know I've tried it. It's not just the taking the photograph, its the processing and then posting to the web so that someone sees your work. That all takes time to complete each day.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do
Daniel Bridge
Posted 14/12/2013 - 14:52 Link
Tried doing a 'Photo Friday' on my blog before, but just didn't keep it up, and it was as much to try and have regular images appearing on there as anything, so they weren't always (in fact increasingly rarely) shots I'd taken that week.

Here's a photographer I've met a few times who's been doing a 365 project for the last 6 years! Don't know how she does it, to be honest.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
gartmore
Posted 14/12/2013 - 15:06 Link
Tried a 365 and lasted about a week to my shame. Maybe time for a New Years resolution
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
bettyswolloks
Posted 14/12/2013 - 15:38 Link
Did a 365 last year, it got to a burden at times but very rewarding. This year I did a 52 which is a lot more easy going, started a flickr group and a few people joined in and made it even more fun. We're hammering out the weekly theme list for next years 52 as we speak. My lad wants me to do a 365 again so he can join in, but I'm not keen to do it again, YET!
I'd start with a 52 if I was you, with the power of hindsight I should of started that way round myself.
I'm toying with doing a 50-50, 50 shots with a 50mm, along side of next years 52. I also fancy doing a 100 people project at some point, 100 portraits in a 100 days, all being strangers!!

The 52 flickr group I/we use
One day you'll find, 10yrs have got behind you.
Edited by bettyswolloks: 14/12/2013 - 15:39
Smeggypants
Posted 14/12/2013 - 17:13 Link
For last three years, every day I've taken shots from 2 positions out the front and 2 positions out the back of my house. Eventually I aim to compile them into a time lapse.

[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Stuey
Posted 14/12/2013 - 21:31 Link
A colleague of undertook a 365 project a few years ago and it pretty much ruined his enthusiasm for photography but he did complete it and then didn't pick a camera up for 6 months

I guess it depends on the person as to how it will pan out
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Gwyn
Posted 15/12/2013 - 10:07 Link
That is rather what I'm afraid of Stuey, but I need something to kick my bum and get me out take photographs again.

Thanks everyone for the responses and links. I shall ponder this some more before I commit myself to it.
johnha
Posted 15/12/2013 - 17:54 Link
I've tentatively signed up for this:link 52 project (one roll of film every week). My plan is to try and shoot medium format (10-15 images per roll) but I may look for some 24 exp. rolls of 35mm (I usually have at least a compact with me most of the time).
alig
Posted 15/12/2013 - 20:56 Link
Gwyn, last year, 2012, I started a 365 project, first one ever... wow, the number of times, I've jumped out of bed to get that image before midnight.

I made it to the end of July, I had 1 subject that I had to place doing different things... nightmare.

I have a full-time job, doing shifts, collecting kids, other hobbies... perhaps too much for a 365 just now.

Anyway, this year, I decided to go for a Project 52, way better. I still have been running around on a Sunday on the odd occasion, trying to get the weekly image, but have enjoyed it SO much better this year. It has been great for getting me off my backside and having to go take an image a week.

I have no subject as such, just really my fav image from the week, but mainly landscape.

I'd go for it next year, I'm already planning my nest Project 52.

Here is a wee link, just in case you are wanting a wee look at mine Project 52 - 2013

Look forward to hearing about your one next year Gwyn.
Cheers

Ali

ist* DS & Ricoh GR
Stuey
Posted 15/12/2013 - 21:34 Link
I meant a colleague 'of mine' not great typing

Maybe pick particular subjects and take shots of those Gwyn, landscapes when icy, travel to a falconry centre etc - possibly better that a 365
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
tyronet2000
Posted 16/12/2013 - 16:07 Link
I think I may be getting a book called "52 projects" or some such. I'm looking forward to seeing what the projects are, it could well be a teaching sort of thing. A friend in Aberdeen sent me a 12 dvd course which covers everything from buying a camera to studio work and turning pro. So far I've burned one copy of this course for someone who as far as I know has never taken another photo since
Regards
Stan

PPG

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.