35mm f/1.4
Posted 16/09/2010 - 12:49
Link
It's manual focus though, isn't it? Wouldn't that restrict it's usefulness as a "normal" prime?
Of course I realise that all lenses used to be manual focus and people could still take pictures etc etc
However, I'd have though that if people were after a Pentax, manual focus, normal prime they would have lots of second hand options which will likely be cheaper?
(10 mins later)
Ok, I've had a quick look and maybe the older lenses aren't as fast. Still, there's likely to be a big price differential.
Of course I realise that all lenses used to be manual focus and people could still take pictures etc etc
However, I'd have though that if people were after a Pentax, manual focus, normal prime they would have lots of second hand options which will likely be cheaper?
(10 mins later)
Ok, I've had a quick look and maybe the older lenses aren't as fast. Still, there's likely to be a big price differential.
You will only prise my 43Ltd from my cold, dead hands...
Posted 16/09/2010 - 14:27
Link
WobblyGoblin wrote:
It's manual focus though, isn't it? Wouldn't that restrict it's usefulness as a "normal" prime?
Of course I realise that all lenses used to be manual focus and people could still take pictures etc etc
However, I'd have though that if people were after a Pentax, manual focus, normal prime they would have lots of second hand options which will likely be cheaper?
(10 mins later)
Ok, I've had a quick look and maybe the older lenses aren't as fast. Still, there's likely to be a big price differential.
I see it as an ideal indoor lens at weddings etc. AF is generally too slow in those situations on AF lenses, so it may have a place?It's manual focus though, isn't it? Wouldn't that restrict it's usefulness as a "normal" prime?
Of course I realise that all lenses used to be manual focus and people could still take pictures etc etc
However, I'd have though that if people were after a Pentax, manual focus, normal prime they would have lots of second hand options which will likely be cheaper?
(10 mins later)
Ok, I've had a quick look and maybe the older lenses aren't as fast. Still, there's likely to be a big price differential.
As for price, it will be cheaper than this
link
Regards
Too far from a shore.
Posted 16/09/2010 - 14:55
Link
That could be an interesting one. Samyang's offerings have so far been pitched at around the £200 mark, all evidence suggests that the Pentax will be cheaper and have AF.
I tend to find that AF struggles on the slower lenses (as in f5.6 slow), with things like the old Pentax-F 35-70mm it's rapid even indoors.
I tend to find that AF struggles on the slower lenses (as in f5.6 slow), with things like the old Pentax-F 35-70mm it's rapid even indoors.
Matt
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Posted 16/09/2010 - 18:38
Link
I suspect flare and ghosting issues won't be up to Pentax standards, still it would be interesting for d-slr video work.....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 17/09/2010 - 20:26
Link
This will be interesting.
Samyang 35mm F1.4 with MF
Vs
Pentax SMC-DAL 35mm F2.4 with AF
Large lens V small lens.
Similar price? (well Samyang are regarded as bargain price)
A recent AP put the Samyang 85mm F1.4 against the Nikon 85mm F1.4 and it came out well. It didn't beat the Nikon, but they did say is was excellent. For this reason Samyang are coming on leaps and bounds, and if they decide to go AF, look out Sigma and Tamron!
However I think it will go down to what you want, discreet and AF with the Pentax, or, Shallow DOF and manual focus, yet more noticable with the Samyang....
Tough choice.
Samyang 35mm F1.4 with MF
Vs
Pentax SMC-DAL 35mm F2.4 with AF
Large lens V small lens.
Similar price? (well Samyang are regarded as bargain price)
A recent AP put the Samyang 85mm F1.4 against the Nikon 85mm F1.4 and it came out well. It didn't beat the Nikon, but they did say is was excellent. For this reason Samyang are coming on leaps and bounds, and if they decide to go AF, look out Sigma and Tamron!
However I think it will go down to what you want, discreet and AF with the Pentax, or, Shallow DOF and manual focus, yet more noticable with the Samyang....
Tough choice.
Some Cameras
Posted 17/09/2010 - 20:32
Link
if in the same price range you could afford both.
I'd use Pentax for general use (color consistency reasons) and the samyang for low light video...
I'd use Pentax for general use (color consistency reasons) and the samyang for low light video...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 20/09/2010 - 14:34
Link
I think the bigger competitor for this will be the Sigma 30mm f1.4 - users of this seem to love its optics whereas most reviewers (particular Klaus at Photozone) slate it. Will this be optically superior to the Sigma, and if so will it be optically superior enough to make users forego AF?
I don't think the Pentax is really an alternative: it's one-and-a-half stops slower.
I don't think the Pentax is really an alternative: it's one-and-a-half stops slower.
Posted 20/09/2010 - 14:45
Link
MrCynical wrote:
users of this seem to love its optics whereas most reviewers (particular Klaus at Photozone) slate it.
Very Interesting, that, isn't it...users of this seem to love its optics whereas most reviewers (particular Klaus at Photozone) slate it.
shows photography is not all about shooting test charts or brick walls... although, amusingly, a quick glance at the last shots I took with mine are in fact of brick walls...! (was a site visit, not art though).
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


6419 posts
17 years
Pentax fit
link.
Price tba. So we now have a choice of two 35mm lenses.
Regards