Comment Image
_IMG2134ed2sm by dr.shutter, on Flickr

And a different fly

Comment Image
_IMG2130ed2sm by dr.shutter, on Flickr
I know what i like, If not always why.
walt
Posted 02/08/2018 - 14:43 - Helpful Comment Link
I think it's amazing how wonderful the macro world looks. I like your lighting on the last one, no hotspots or shadows and the focus on the eye is great.
Walt
My newer photos google photos
My older Flickr photos Flickr
Even older ones Picasa
Tyr
Posted 02/08/2018 - 14:44 - Helpful Comment Link
The detail on the fly is just stunning!
LennyBloke
Posted 02/08/2018 - 15:08 - Helpful Comment Link
They just get better and better!

That last shot is pretty much perfect
LennyBloke
Chrism8
Posted 02/08/2018 - 15:37 - Helpful Comment Link
LennyBloke wrote:
They just get better and better ! That last shot is pretty much perfect

Totally agree, the last fly is superb.
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
derek897
Posted 02/08/2018 - 20:32 Link
Genuinely appreciate your comments,
I am aware that sometimes I sacrifice composition for detail, but with bugs I think it's a case of taking what you can get.
I'm still learning but am enjoying the journey.
davidstorm
Posted 02/08/2018 - 21:18 - Helpful Comment Link
Excellent again Derek. I noticed your comment about sacrificing composition for detail, which is something that has to be done when using extreme levels of magnification, i.e. when the subject completely fills the frame. However, on shots where there is space around the subject I think the composition is important and can make the difference between an outstanding shot and a very good one. Sometimes it can be better to reduce the magnification a bit in order to provide some compositional interest. This is something I constantly battled with when I was shooting a lot of macro.

I would highly recommend everyone taking a look at the shot posted in the Gallery today by DrOrloff, see link below.

link

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
derek897
Posted 02/08/2018 - 22:27 Link
Hi David. Again I appreciate the advice, much needed.
Dr Orloff, now there's a standard to aspire to.
😣😣😣😣
I do understand composition, but feel that at the minute I'm concentrating on detail, next step may well be composition over detail, at the minute I'm enjoying the detail that the bellows offers. Still learning on that front.
Maybe one day I'll get to the point where I don't feel the need or desire to post, maybe not substandard but shots that don't tick all the boxes, but at this time I don't mind.
I'd like to think that at some stage I will get to your or Dr Orloffs level, but I don't mind sharing how I'm getting there.
The good the bad and the downright ugly.
davidstorm
Posted 02/08/2018 - 22:46 - Helpful Comment Link
derek897 wrote:
😣😣😣😣
I do understand composition, but feel that at the minute I'm concentrating on detail, next step may well be composition over detail, at the minute I'm enjoying the detail that the bellows offers. Still learning on that front.
Maybe one day I'll get to the point where I don't feel the need or desire to post, maybe not substandard but shots that don't tick all the boxes, but at this time I don't mind.
I'd like to think that at some stage I will get to your or Dr Orloffs level, but I don't mind sharing how I'm getting there.

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself Derek, you're already at an advanced level and clearly have the skills for superb macro photography. What I was trying to say is that sometimes the quest for detail cannot be the 'be all and end all', sometimes it's nice to concentrate on the artistic aspects of the images. I deleted countless shots that were pin sharp and detailed, but had little compositional merit, but this doesn't mean I was right or wrong to do this, it was just my personal preference and feeling for what I was trying to achieve. I certainly went down the detail route on occasions, but always preferred the shots that looked nice!

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
derek897
Posted 02/08/2018 - 23:55 Link
davidstorm wrote:
derek897 wrote:
😣😣😣😣

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself Derek, you're already at an advanced level and clearly have the skills for superb macro photography. What I was trying to say is that sometimes the quest for detail cannot be the 'be all and end all', sometimes it's nice to concentrate on the artistic aspects of the images. I deleted countless shots that were pin sharp and detailed, but had little compositional merit, but this doesn't mean I was right or wrong to do this, it was just my personal preference and feeling for what I was trying to achieve. I certainly went down the detail route on occasions, but always preferred the shots that looked nice!

Regards
David

Cheers David. I do genuinely get that, I thought that was the point I was confirming. But apparently not 🤕🤕🤕
My fault.
We had some awful news this day last week. And that may still have my head in a bit of a muddle.
As some of your own recent macro postings and Dr Orloffs have shown is that it's not all about the detail,
Realistically composition will win out over detail, this I know, I suppose the point I was making was that at the stage that I am at (detail) at the minute I'm happy being able to get the detail, once I know that I can get the detail if I want it, i might be comfortable moving on to composition over detail.
I suppose it's just my own personal learning curve.
But I do genuinely get your point, even if I'm not articulating it well.
As ever your thoughts and advice are much appreciated

Derek.
pschlute
Posted 03/08/2018 - 11:33 - Helpful Comment Link
The detail in these is amazing

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.