whatsthisbuttondo
Posted 13/06/2016 - 12:10 Link
Got my first airshow next week Cosford any reccomendations as in what to take
fatspider
Posted 13/06/2016 - 12:31 - Helpful Comment Link
Quote:
any reccomendations as in what to take

Take planes, there'll be plenty of them

Seriously though, you'll need an assortment of focal lengths and especially a mid to long range zoom, I've only ever done one airshow but I took the Sigma 50-500 so was well covered, most of the flying shots were taken round about 300mm there weren't many static planes about so the 50mm ends was a bit useless, suppose that depends on the show.

One thought. given the recent concerns over public safety etc the flying display may be further away so the longest lens you have would be the best bet.

I found finding the plane as a speck at the short end of the zoom and then zooming in on it a lot easier than searching the sky at long range.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Edited by fatspider: 13/06/2016 - 12:31
stu62
Posted 13/06/2016 - 17:39 Link
A camera would be a good start as well preferably a pentax
whatsthisbuttondo
Posted 13/06/2016 - 21:24 Link
Got the pentax camera and lens, dont know if its crowded or room for tripod never having been to one before
kea828
Posted 13/06/2016 - 21:40 Link
fatspider wrote:
I found finding the plane as a speck at the short end of the zoom and then zooming in on it a lot easier than searching the sky at long range.

An alternative approach that I found worked at my first airshow is to keep both eyes open, not just the one looking throught the viewfinder. The other eye (usually the left one), gives you the position of the plane(s) in the sky whilst the other one sorts zoom and focus.
Regards,
Kea828
fatspider
Posted 14/06/2016 - 00:11 - Helpful Comment Link
whatsthisbuttondo wrote:
Got the pentax camera and lens, dont know if its crowded or room for tripod never having been to one before

I would forget the tripod, it will be busy.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.