18-55 - AL vs AL II
Posted 14/02/2012 - 13:57
Link
The AL II version was introduced around the same time as the K20. It's said that it was needed to suit cameras with larger pixel counts. Optically it is a different construcion. AL = 12 elements in 9 groups. AL II = 11 elements in 8 groups.
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 14/02/2012 - 14:17
Link
It gets confusing, because the DA-L (which came with the K-x) IS the same optically as the SMC DA F3.5-5.6 ALII version.
The SMC DA F3.5-5.6 ALII was bundled with the K20D and K200D. It is exactly the same as the DA-L version which came with the K-x, but has a metal mount rather than plastic.
Both lenses supersede the original 'mark 1' version which came with the K10D and previous cameras, and have (slightly) improved optics. The DA-L or SMC DA F3.5-5.6 ALII versions would be better choices.
Stretching to the DA 16-45mm would be even better, if you like wide angle shots!
The SMC DA F3.5-5.6 ALII was bundled with the K20D and K200D. It is exactly the same as the DA-L version which came with the K-x, but has a metal mount rather than plastic.
Both lenses supersede the original 'mark 1' version which came with the K10D and previous cameras, and have (slightly) improved optics. The DA-L or SMC DA F3.5-5.6 ALII versions would be better choices.
Stretching to the DA 16-45mm would be even better, if you like wide angle shots!
Posted 15/02/2012 - 10:49
Link
Thanks for the replies. That helps a lot. I'll go for a DA-L or an ALII.
Looking at the amount they are going for on ebay I think I might have made a mistake letting that lens go for as cheap as I did.
Oh well! I have time to wait for a good deal.
Looking at the amount they are going for on ebay I think I might have made a mistake letting that lens go for as cheap as I did.
Oh well! I have time to wait for a good deal.
Posted 15/02/2012 - 10:56
Link
Edward.
Have a look on SRS, web site.
Take care.
Have a look on SRS, web site.
Take care.
Chris R.
I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
Posted 15/02/2012 - 11:02
Link
Thanks for the suggestion. I have actually never been on there before. Good site.
I just found this one: http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/7360/Used-Pentax-18-55mm-f3-5-5-6-Lens.html
Do you know which one this is likely to be? I guess probably the Mark 1 kit lens?
I just found this one: http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/7360/Used-Pentax-18-55mm-f3-5-5-6-Lens.html
Do you know which one this is likely to be? I guess probably the Mark 1 kit lens?
Posted 15/02/2012 - 11:21
Link
Not sure, but give Chris at SRS a call.
Rembember to tell him that you are a Pentax User member, then postage will be foc.
Take care.
Rembember to tell him that you are a Pentax User member, then postage will be foc.
Take care.
Chris R.
I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
Posted 15/02/2012 - 11:26
Link
I would guess the Mark 1.
You may also come across the 18-55mm WR lens. That one is the same as the MkII but is weather sealed. Although your camera itself is not weather sealed, if you find one at a good price, i.e. under 50 quid, you should go for it as it will provide some moisture / dust protection, and would come in useful if you bought a weather sealed camera in the future. It's also a rather smart looking lens.
You may also come across the 18-55mm WR lens. That one is the same as the MkII but is weather sealed. Although your camera itself is not weather sealed, if you find one at a good price, i.e. under 50 quid, you should go for it as it will provide some moisture / dust protection, and would come in useful if you bought a weather sealed camera in the future. It's also a rather smart looking lens.
Posted 15/02/2012 - 11:30
Link
Sorry, read Rembember as Remember.
Take care.
Take care.
Chris R.
I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
Posted 15/02/2012 - 11:31
Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
I would guess the Mark 1.
You may also come across the 18-55mm WR lens. That one is the same as the MkII but is weather sealed. Although your camera itself is not weather sealed, if you find one at a good price, i.e. under 50 quid, you should go for it as it will provide some moisture / dust protection, and would come in useful if you bought a weather sealed camera in the future. It's also a rather smart looking lens.
Would second this.
I would guess the Mark 1.
You may also come across the 18-55mm WR lens. That one is the same as the MkII but is weather sealed. Although your camera itself is not weather sealed, if you find one at a good price, i.e. under 50 quid, you should go for it as it will provide some moisture / dust protection, and would come in useful if you bought a weather sealed camera in the future. It's also a rather smart looking lens.
Chris R.
I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
Posted 15/02/2012 - 12:28
Link
Park cameras are selling brand new Samsung D-Xenon 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL II (New) pk fit lens`s for £39 plus postage. Just another option to think about, regards, tim.
Ps: It says AL II but not 100% sure if this is true ?
Ps: It says AL II but not 100% sure if this is true ?
Posted 15/02/2012 - 12:37
Link
Thanks for the tip! Down from £155.99!?
That is quite a deal.
Are these generally considered to be good lenses? Would they be better than the DA/DA-L/ALII?
That is quite a deal.
Are these generally considered to be good lenses? Would they be better than the DA/DA-L/ALII?
Posted 15/02/2012 - 12:41
Link
As far as i`m aware they are just rebadged pentax, ive owned a samsung 16-45 in the past which was superb in every way.
Posted 15/02/2012 - 12:43
Link
Eddy, the Samsung lens is identical to the DA L or the DA II in optical terms. The only difference is the colour of the metal strip on the lens and cosmetic branding etc.
Don't pay any attention to the price reduction, these lenses are widely available in Pentax or Samsung form for £40 or less and you can get the WR (weather sealed) version for £60 brand new.
The mark II version is very good optically for a kit lens and I use it extensively for all types of pictures, especially landscapes (have a look at my portfolio or on PPG for examples). However, it is not in the same league as the DA 16-45mm which you can buy new in Samsung guise for £180 from Park Cameras, or you may find some second hand Pentax examples between £140 and £200. Well worth stretching to if you can afford it; you will get better image quality.
Regards
David
Don't pay any attention to the price reduction, these lenses are widely available in Pentax or Samsung form for £40 or less and you can get the WR (weather sealed) version for £60 brand new.
The mark II version is very good optically for a kit lens and I use it extensively for all types of pictures, especially landscapes (have a look at my portfolio or on PPG for examples). However, it is not in the same league as the DA 16-45mm which you can buy new in Samsung guise for £180 from Park Cameras, or you may find some second hand Pentax examples between £140 and £200. Well worth stretching to if you can afford it; you will get better image quality.
Regards
David
Posted 15/02/2012 - 13:24
Link
Thanks for the explanations guys!
So good to have a guide through all this stuff
The DA 16-45 is tempting but sadly out of my price range at the moment. At least I know what I should be saving up for. I guess I will go with the 18-55 2nd hand and then I can at least sell again if I decide to go for the 16-45.
Thanks for all the advice
So good to have a guide through all this stuff
The DA 16-45 is tempting but sadly out of my price range at the moment. At least I know what I should be saving up for. I guess I will go with the 18-55 2nd hand and then I can at least sell again if I decide to go for the 16-45.
Thanks for all the advice
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


78 posts
14 years
London
I recently sold my K-x and upgraded to a K-r. The K-r I bought was body only so I am looking out for an 18-55 lens to replace the one on my K-x.
The one on the K-x was the standard kit lens. I think it was the
'F3.5-5.6, 18 - 55 mm Pentax D-AL lens'.
I have seen another 18-55 for sale but it is the:
'Pentax 18-55mm SMC DA F3.5-5.6 ALII'
So my question is: what is the difference between the AL and the ALII? Also is it worth paying more for the ALII version?
Any help would be great.