16-45 lense

Karl
Posted 10/04/2009 - 12:34 Link
Probably been asked before on here, but I want to upgrade my kit.
Eventually I would like to get a K20, (currently have a K100D) but in the meantime, is the 16-45 lense worth getting to replace the standard kit lense that I have or is there not much difference?
https://pentaxphotogallery.com" target="_blank">https://pentaxphotogallery.com/images/black_link_small.jpg" alt="See my photos featured in the PENTAX Photogallery" />
johnriley
Posted 10/04/2009 - 12:37 Link
I found it to be a distinct step upwards from the 18-55mm MkI but it's very dependent on how big the prints will be that you want to make.
Best regards, John
Dr. Mhuni
Posted 10/04/2009 - 13:36 Link
Don't know if I had a poor copy of the 18-55 MkI, but I found the 16-45 to be a significant upgrade in terms of sharpness, IQ, bokeh and most of all performance at wide apertures and wide focal lengths (where the 18-55 was poor). Also, the extra 2mm is very nice. At £199 (at SRS) it's a snip.
Mhuni

500px
dmjjr
Posted 10/04/2009 - 14:37 Link
My 16-45 is really lousy-very soft-my kit lens puts it to shame.
Anvh
Posted 10/04/2009 - 15:11 Link
dmjjr wrote:
My 16-45 is really lousy-very soft-my kit lens puts it to shame.
I would sent it back to the shop then if I were you.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
iceblinker
Posted 10/04/2009 - 15:16 Link
Yes, there's something wrong with dmjjr's lens. My 16-45 was certainly better than my mk I 18-55, though not very much different from my mk II 18-55, except in terms of vignetting and distortion at the wide end, where the 16-45 is definitely superior.
~Pete
Ratcatcher
Posted 10/04/2009 - 17:25 Link
You won't be dissapointed with the 16-45 it's an excellent lens.
Karl
Posted 10/04/2009 - 18:03 Link
But having seen some of the images on a in praise of the kit lense thread, is it worth £200 to upgrade or should I spend it on the 55-300 which looks like a good lense and will give me a wider focal range?
https://pentaxphotogallery.com" target="_blank">https://pentaxphotogallery.com/images/black_link_small.jpg" alt="See my photos featured in the PENTAX Photogallery" />
johnriley
Posted 10/04/2009 - 19:00 Link
If that's the choice, then the extra lens will be more versatile rather than essentially replacing your existing focal lengths.
Best regards, John
Karl
Posted 10/04/2009 - 19:22 Link
Cheers John. Lots to think about.
https://pentaxphotogallery.com" target="_blank">https://pentaxphotogallery.com/images/black_link_small.jpg" alt="See my photos featured in the PENTAX Photogallery" />

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo