15mm f4

asgr

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 09:24
Hi There,

I'm thinking of getting the 15mm f4.0. I think the lens is one I would love to have, so my main interest is what sort of price people think it is sensible to spend on it new/ second hand. I haven't seen any appear on ebay for auction, so I'm really not sure about second hand value.

Thanks,

Aaron
K7 + wet weather gear Some of my pics

johnriley

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 09:33
If you check out the Leads to Deals section, plus www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk that will give you some options. Check the Classified Ads section as well to see if anyone is offering one for sale.
Best regards, John

smudge

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 10:01
This is a fairly new lens, so used examples will be hard to find. I bought mine new from ebay seller Kerso a few months ago for 449 but the price of U.K. stock has come down recently and the SRS price of 469 looks good to me.
Regards, Philip

johnwhit

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 10:09
When I was thinking of selling mine recently I was offered 390 but decided to keep it.

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.

walkeja

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 10:54
I've searched everywhere on this site and I can't find the "Leads to Deals" section! Where is it?
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member

Charlotte

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 10:56
walkeja wrote:
I've searched everywhere on this site and I can't find the "Leads to Deals" section! Where is it?

https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/view/leads-to-deals-19
Pentax Photo Gallery
Photography blog

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 11:12
Have you been using it a bit more recently John? I'm still conflicted about getting this lens. Sample images online seem a mixed bag.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

johnwhit

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 11:24
Pentaxophile wrote:
Have you been using it a bit more recently John? I'm still conflicted about getting this lens. Sample images online seem a mixed bag.

Hi Will, yes I used in at Cheshire Steam Fair, I had to force myself not to take the Siggy 10-20 I'm still undecided whether to keep it or not. I need to get out more

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.

DaveN

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 14:27
The Sigma 10-20 is so much more versatile I think esp considering price/ sharpeness

I am hoping for a 13-55 macro lens so time in the future ... well hoping ...
Discovering the joys of photography with Pentax
Last Edited by DaveN on 13/08/2011 - 14:55

Mike-P

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 14:49
NikonToPentax wrote:

I am hoping or a 13-55 macro lens so time in the future ... well hoping ...

You have as much chance of getting that as I have the DA* 200mm f4 macro lens I want.
. My Flickr

DaveN

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 14:56
We live in hope ...
Discovering the joys of photography with Pentax

obione

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 16:13
worth every penny, you don't find many secondhand, because if you have one you wouldn't part with it, superb lens,
go the sigma way if you want, but if quality is your goal pick pentax.
k-5, K-5ii,60-250 f4, 50 f1.4 af,17-70 f4, 100mm macro wr,siggy 10-20 siggy 100-300f4

Fletcher8

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 18:29
As the price has come down to a more fair one, why not buy one brand new? The advantages are 12 month guarantee, if you are unlucky and get a bad copy, exchange it. I personally love this lens for lots of reasons, but the size enables me to take a few lenses out in my bag for different purposes and keep weight down. I have found the 15mm limited is great for landscapes and architecture, and its sharp and has great colour rendition.

If you are really unsure why not rent one for a weekend!

Gareth
Fletcher8.

Managarm

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 19:51
Hi,

I bought mine (used, in perfect condition) a few weeks ago for about 450 pounds on ebay. For me a very good deal as new ones are significantly more expensive over here and all sorts of imports almost for sure add a tremendous tax premium to it...
They aren't often seen second hand on ebay, but if you have the time you can just check regularly and might get lucky.

Pentaxophile wrote:
I'm still conflicted about getting this lens. Sample images online seem a mixed bag.

I also wasn't really sure about the optical quality by reviews alone, but just wanted a small ultrawide for travels so I jumped for it.
Very happy with it so far. Build quality, handling etc. is as wonderful as with all the other limiteds.
Optical quality is also great. Wide open soft corners - well that's the curse with most ultrawides - but once stopped down to f/8.0 the corners are quite sharp, as is the center at any aperture.

Here are early testshots I did when I got the lens in order to find the best aperture for landscape shots. I'd say f/8.0 hits the sweet spot, unless maximum sharpness across the whole frame is not the primary goal (e.g. greater depth of field for very close objects or smaller depth of field for a slightly blurred 3D-look). Mind the diffraction limit kicking in at about f/11.
K-5, basic RAW conversion via ACR:

- Extreme corner
- Central portion on the upper border

Some prefer even wider angles with one of the Sigmas or "greater" zoom range in general. But for me, it's once again the high quality supercompact prime, perhaps together with one or two other limiteds. I guess anyone who feels the same will hardly go wrong with the 15mm f/4.0.

Greetings
Last Edited by Managarm on 13/08/2011 - 20:23

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 13/08/2011 - 23:21
I don't mind softish corners at f4 - I had seen some samples which were quite surprisingly soft around the at smaller apertures, with lots of CA as well. Could be they had a bad sample, or perhaps 'user error'. My Sigma 10-20 can deliver wonderfully sharp images with a little care, but if you don't watch out the focus can be really off.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.