"Why Pentax and not Nikon?"
Posted 05/06/2010 - 21:56
Link
I think it may just be that anyone who thinks a given brand of camera is necessary for capturing EM radiation and possibly that EM radiation looks at the marque of a camera before travelling down the lens just doesn't quite 'get' what photography is really about.
C
C
Posted 05/06/2010 - 22:03
Link
I chose Pentax because they use all capitals in their logo. Unlike either Canon or Nikon.
Lurking is shirking.!
Posted 05/06/2010 - 22:05
Link
robbie_d wrote:
The guy, a Nikon user, seemed perplexed that I hadn't purchased a Nikon......He still couldn't understand why I hadn't bought a Nikon. I stopped talking to him.
What an idiot. Canon also make great cameras too.
The guy, a Nikon user, seemed perplexed that I hadn't purchased a Nikon......He still couldn't understand why I hadn't bought a Nikon. I stopped talking to him.
Matt
GX20; DA 17-70 F4; 18-55 kit; Ricoh 50mm F2; Vivitar 75-205mm F3.8
GX20; DA 17-70 F4; 18-55 kit; Ricoh 50mm F2; Vivitar 75-205mm F3.8
Posted 05/06/2010 - 22:19
Link
dougf8 wrote:
I chose Pentax because they use all capitals in their logo.
Now I've heard it allI chose Pentax because they use all capitals in their logo.
Jack.
Posted 05/06/2010 - 22:28
Link
dougf8 wrote:
I chose Pentax because they use all capitals in their logo. Unlike either Canon or Nikon.
And the decider between SONY and PENTAX was?I chose Pentax because they use all capitals in their logo. Unlike either Canon or Nikon.
C
Posted 05/06/2010 - 22:29
Link
I chose them for pretty much the same reasons as the OP. Plus the K-m was the best camera around for the money at the time I bought it.
All manufacturers offer much the same modes and image quality is probably pretty similar, but all Pentax bodies will work fully with all of their current lenses (unlike Nikon) and they never make the base model feel crippled or cheap. The K-m feels solid and well made, as though they've just left a few features out rather than skimping on the build quality. The fact that any K mount lens will fit, work, and benefit from shake reduction just makes life so much simpler than Canon or Nikon users who seem to have to choose legacy lenses incredibly carefully.
All manufacturers offer much the same modes and image quality is probably pretty similar, but all Pentax bodies will work fully with all of their current lenses (unlike Nikon) and they never make the base model feel crippled or cheap. The K-m feels solid and well made, as though they've just left a few features out rather than skimping on the build quality. The fact that any K mount lens will fit, work, and benefit from shake reduction just makes life so much simpler than Canon or Nikon users who seem to have to choose legacy lenses incredibly carefully.
Matt
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Posted 05/06/2010 - 22:30
Link
I onli learned the first 23 letters of the alphabet?
Lurking is shirking.!
Posted 05/06/2010 - 22:46
Link
Dangermouse wrote:
I chose them for pretty much the same reasons as the OP. Plus the K-m was the best camera around for the money at the time I bought it.
The fact that any K mount lens will fit, work, and benefit from shake reduction just makes life so much simpler than Canon or Nikon users who seem to have to choose legacy lenses incredibly carefully.
Yet my Nikon works with every Nikon lens since 1977 and all AF Nikon lenses since 1986. How far back do we need to go? I chose them for pretty much the same reasons as the OP. Plus the K-m was the best camera around for the money at the time I bought it.
The fact that any K mount lens will fit, work, and benefit from shake reduction just makes life so much simpler than Canon or Nikon users who seem to have to choose legacy lenses incredibly carefully.
The majority of buyers will not be buying a new Pentax body to use with a legacy lens.
Regards
Too far from a shore.
Posted 05/06/2010 - 23:01
Link
K10D wrote:
The majority of buyers will not be buying a new Pentax body to use with a legacy lens.
Regards
Does your Nikon also stabilise those old lenses? Dangermouse wrote:
I chose them for pretty much the same reasons as the OP. Plus the K-m was the best camera around for the money at the time I bought it.
The fact that any K mount lens will fit, work, and benefit from shake reduction just makes life so much simpler than Canon or Nikon users who seem to have to choose legacy lenses incredibly carefully.
Yet my Nikon works with every Nikon lens since 1977 and all AF Nikon lenses since 1986. How far back do we need to go? I chose them for pretty much the same reasons as the OP. Plus the K-m was the best camera around for the money at the time I bought it.
The fact that any K mount lens will fit, work, and benefit from shake reduction just makes life so much simpler than Canon or Nikon users who seem to have to choose legacy lenses incredibly carefully.
The majority of buyers will not be buying a new Pentax body to use with a legacy lens.
Regards
When I said "Amazing legacy lens support" it stretched further than just being able to fit the lenses on the camera.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.
Apparently.
Apparently.
Posted 05/06/2010 - 23:13
Link
discounting the fact that by the time I bought my first DSLR I already had a number of K fit lenses, it was because at the time the Pentax entry level model had the best viewfinder of any entry level DSLR.
you don't have to be mad to post here
but it does help
but it does help
Posted 05/06/2010 - 23:17
Link
In my professional days 35 years ago there was no such thing as anti shake, stabilized lenses, vibration compensation and whatever other names they have for it, I managed pretty well then, but I will say that when you can see the anti shake lenses working in the viewfinder it does give you a little more confidence in the photos you have just taken,
Jack
Jack
Posted 05/06/2010 - 23:41
Link
jackitec wrote:
...when you can see the anti shake lenses working in the viewfinder it does give you a little more confidence in the photos you have just taken,
Jack
I can see the advantage to this, from a visual point of view....when you can see the anti shake lenses working in the viewfinder it does give you a little more confidence in the photos you have just taken,
Jack
However, I was using a Nikon at odd times today, and have to say the whine the VR makes when it's active drives me up the wall. Am I the only one that can hear it?
Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Posted 05/06/2010 - 23:50
Link
Don't use Nikon so can't comment, sorry,
Jack.
Jack.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1569 posts
17 years
Victory Mansions
I replied:
In body stabilisation, effective for any lens I mount
Amazing legacy lens support
Weather sealing on bodies within my price range
Great ergonomics
Pancake lenses (had to show him the DA 21mm as he didn't know what I was talking about)
Great value for money
He still couldn't understand why I hadn't bought a Nikon. I stopped talking to him.
Apparently.