'RAW' did not work 'Magic'

Peter Elgar
Posted 11/02/2017 - 16:32 Link
I was let down by the battery in my Mecablitz 43CL3 so i had to take Publicity Photos by Avaliable Light at our Club when our President gave his Lecture on all his Monochrome prints from 'Beginner' to his 'ARPS panel.
I set 'RAW DNG', ISO 1600 and 'Tungsten Balance' and used my 24mm f2.8 SMC Pentax-A lens at f4.
Where the print easel was on the monochrome print came out all .Blue. and the front illumination was by diffused room lights of 'Energy-Saving Bulbs' so there was a conflict of Colour Temperature. I used my 'Posh' version of Photoshop, the 21st Anniversary Edition as it will open 'RAW' -- I could not understand most of the settings such as 'Clarity' , Vibrance. etc and I tried 'Lasso' and selected the Blue part but no matter what I did I could not get it to 'monochrome' I 'Inverse Selected' and did a little Levels on the Front Illumination. The 'NOISE' or 'Grain' as I call it being a FILM Fan was terrible bit good enough to send to local newspapers and put on 'Flickr' and other Photo sites -- 'RAW' did not seem any different from JPeg !!
Comment Image
Been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED?
Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
smudge
Posted 11/02/2017 - 17:08 Link
One method to try is selecting the blue section and de-saturate it. That should give an acceptable monochrome.
Regards, Philip
DOIK
Posted 11/02/2017 - 17:35 Link
Or do a Colour Pop in reverse. Mixed lighting will always be a problem.
Comment Image


John
JAK
Posted 11/02/2017 - 20:13 Link
Now that DOES look odd! Peter's original seems OK to me.
John K
Peter Elgar
Posted 12/02/2017 - 11:05 Link
OK Folks -- many thanks -- you are all more 'Expert' at Digital stuff than me !
Been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED?
Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 13/02/2017 - 07:50 Link
I would select only the print on the easel, not the easel itself, to adjust the colours. The print will then be B&W as intended and the easel will simply look blue. The lines separating the print from it's surroundings are all straight so it shouldn't be too hard.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
pipinmels
Posted 21/02/2017 - 19:37 Link
Just cheating a bit, but convert to black and white...colour hue sorted..

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo