mungoray

Joined: 3rd December 2004

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

mungoray
I've got a matched pair of Qs Black & White ! Bought a Black with standard lens and a free Toy wide from Park Cameras about six weeks ago. Then decided I should have gone for a zoom. Silly price as a standalone but great White standard plus zoom twin lens deal at Park last week ( £279! ) looks like they are gone now. Can't understand why white was £100 cheaper than the equivalent black twin lens. Get some funny looks when I use both cameras at once to compare the zoom against the standard f stop! My K5 has been resting at home for the last few weeks!

Comment by mungoray posted on how many Q owners? at 02/08/2012 - 16:36

mungoray
Hi Tyr

I bought my K10D as a body only and I am currently using the 18-55 and 50-200 from my istDS. Quite happy with the 18-55 and the 50-200 gives excellent results for its price.

I can't resist buying the 16-50 when it is available, so that will become the standard lens soon

There is no battery in the grip, I bought a spare pentax battery with the grip, but have also bought a couple of 'clone' batteries from 7dayshop.com at a much reduced price. Performance of the batteries appears to be comparable with the Pentax originals

Comment by mungoray posted on I was thinking (K10D) at 26/04/2007 - 20:14

mungoray
I have received my lens back from Sigma, a week turnaround as an urgent repair. The technician has replaced and adjusted the gears, which he assures is the best solution to the problems that I have been experiencing but if the fault should re-occur Sigma will replace the unit.

Well the Airshow season is approaching so I will be out and about using the Bigma in anger with my K10D. Plenty of time left on the warranty, so I am happy unless it fails again!

The only gripe is the £20 Royal Mail Special Delivery charge ( Bigma is over 2 Kg!) to send the lens back for repair!

Comment by mungoray posted on Problem with K10D and Bigma combination? at 26/04/2007 - 20:04

mungoray
Thanks for your comments

I should be hearing from Sigma early next week, and will report back the findings!

The results I had with the Bigma (before the failures) were excellent, Luckily I still have my Sigma 170-500, as a reserve, which is working fine on the K10D!,

Comment by mungoray posted on Problem with K10D and Bigma combination? at 21/04/2007 - 14:47

mungoray
Hi everyone, I traded up my Pentax isDS and Sigma 170-500 to a K10D and Sigma 50-500 (Bigma) Combination a few months ago.

Looks like I have a problem, as the Autofocus has now gone for a second time on the Bigma and it is back with Sigma for repair.

Something nasty is happening inside the lens resulting in a small geared cog coming loose and dropping out of the lens mount on detaching from the body ( both times) . I have spoken to the Sigma technician today who suspects that the K10D motor might be quite 'torquey' resulting in the probelm. The retailer / sigma have offered to repair , replace or refund, but ideally I'd like to know what is going on before I decide.

Has anyone got a similar combo, and if so any problems?

Comment by mungoray posted on Problem with K10D and Bigma combination? at 20/04/2007 - 17:38

mungoray
Still learning how to use my istDs, as I only got it yesterday

PENTAX K-, KA-, KAF- and KAF2-mount 35mm-format lenses can be used without an adapter or modification. PENTAX screw-mount 35mm-format lenses and PENTAX 645- and 67-system lenses can be used with an adapter. Some functions may not be available with certain lenses.

Have tried out various early K lenses from my collection including 40mm pancake + Tamron SP500 with K adaptor and they work fine

Not obvious at first what to do, but camera comes with 'Using Aperture ring' set to prohibited on custom menu. This means the camera won't function if aperture set to anything other than A ( or no A setting as on early lenses). Set to permitted and there is no problem.

Page 101 and 179 in the manual give the details



Hope that helps

Comment by mungoray posted on K lens on DS at 04/12/2004 - 15:48

mungoray
Got mine yesterday ( 2 Dec 04)

Ordered 6 weeks ago from Camerworld in London , I guess stocks became available 1 Dec 04, arrived well packaged and good price with 18-55 lens.

Excellent bundle, not sure how much my MZ-S will be used now!

Still debating whether the 24-90 from the MZ-S is a good option instead of the 18-55

Comment by mungoray posted on istD S at 03/12/2004 - 18:16

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo