LincolnshireNed

Joined: 6th April 2009

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

LincolnshireNed
My HD is about two years old, a WD 200GB SATA and yes I could use it as a backup. But first I will try a memory upgrade in fact an email has just popped up telling me it's been despatched

Quote:
Think the progress and cost of computer items is staggering, my first true PC had a hard drive of 64k and cost about £1200.00 and we thought that was amazing
Back in '96 I bought a P100 PC, with a massive 1GB HD, DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11, 16MB RAM all for £1911.73 pence

btw that's 1996

Comment by LincolnshireNed posted on A PC for RAW at 09/04/2009 - 20:08

LincolnshireNed
iceblinker wrote:

Have you seen the prices of hard drives lately? Remarkably inexpensive for the capacity.
I know, it's ridiculous To think I paid 120 quid for a 1GB not that long ago and now they are half that for a terabyte

Comment by LincolnshireNed posted on A PC for RAW at 09/04/2009 - 15:43

LincolnshireNed
I would build another totally new PC if I could guarantee that my existing 200GB hard drive would work with it

Comment by LincolnshireNed posted on A PC for RAW at 09/04/2009 - 15:16

LincolnshireNed
Thanks both for your comments. I do have a more modern Acer laptop with 1GB of RAM but not a big HD so perhaps will try that. On my PC it perhaps takes around 30/40 seconds to process a 10MB RAW image.

I'm always cleaning up the HD and defragging However, I have ordered a 1GB module so will add it to one of my 250s and see what happens!

Comment by LincolnshireNed posted on A PC for RAW at 09/04/2009 - 14:57

LincolnshireNed
I have just ventured into using RAW on my K-m and of course produce far better images when printing. However, my 5 year old (1.8GHz Sempron with 512MB PC2700 DDRSDRAM) PC is rather slow at processing RAW data. I would be grateful for recommendations for a minimum spec PC for this purpose please or would a straight memory upgrade suffice?

I am using the supplied Pentax editing software and also IrfanView on my XP machine and also looking for some Debian based Linux applications.

Comment by LincolnshireNed posted on A PC for RAW at 09/04/2009 - 13:58

LincolnshireNed
TGK wrote:
Hi and welcome
Thanks for the welcome Tracey. You certainly seem to have a good selection of wildlife down in Deeping St. James Hoping to get down to Freiston Shore soon to capture the Avocet!

Comment by LincolnshireNed posted on Hello from Hilly Lincolnshire! at 09/04/2009 - 08:31

LincolnshireNed
Hyram wrote:
Welcome

Looking forward to seeing some of those Lincolnshire hills
Well there's one here http://highbeacon.www.idnet.com/Pentax/ towards the bottom of the page, finished off with my contrary granddaughter leaving me

Comment by LincolnshireNed posted on Hello from Hilly Lincolnshire! at 07/04/2009 - 19:58

LincolnshireNed
Never heard of Gimpshop, thanks! Downloaded it on my XP box and it keeps throwing up 'exception' errors : Will try on one of my Linux machines later to see if it behaves there.

Comment by LincolnshireNed posted on PhotoScape at 07/04/2009 - 17:42

LincolnshireNed
Thanks for comment. Photoscape actually has quite a few hidden attributes that aren't obvious until you get into it!! I have GIMP on my Linux PCs and find that rather hard work as I lack the patience to learn

Comment by LincolnshireNed posted on PhotoScape at 07/04/2009 - 13:10

LincolnshireNed
Has anyone tried free PhotoScape www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php and have any views on its abilities? I've been trying it for a week or so and find it quite effective compared with my rather old version of PSP8.

Comment by LincolnshireNed posted on PhotoScape at 07/04/2009 - 11:58

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo