circleofconfusion

Joined: 1st March 2006

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

circleofconfusion
Mannesty, I agree, I see no reason why the wireless triggers can't relay the "stop" signal. It should be easy enough to home-brew something but I'm not sure I've got the time these days (sadly I have a business to run...grrrrr....it always gets in the way of having fun...)

Don, thanks for the link to the Quantum unit. It's slightly out of my price range but at least I know such a beast exists! And thanks for the flash meter suggestion, that hadn't occurred to me but I can see it having advantages.

I bought a long PC-cord and hotshoe adapter at the weekend just to give it a try. It might be that the sort of 'home studio' setups I want to do will come out just fine with the basic kit.

Comment by circleofconfusion posted on Off camera flash at 04/09/2006 - 09:06

circleofconfusion
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Your help is much appreciated. I think I'll go for a cable solution as I would like to keep the TTL dedication.

On another forum I was pointed to http://www.paramountcords.com/ they make customer cables but don't seem to do anything for Pentax. I've emailed them to check and if I hear anything I'll let you know.

Thanks

Comment by circleofconfusion posted on Off camera flash at 01/09/2006 - 09:59

circleofconfusion
Hi

Thanks for your reply. Just to clarify, I want to get the flash head up to 5m from the camera.

I've just had a quick look at the wireless kit in ebay, I'm a bit dubious about it as it is so cheap but it could be worth a go. Has anyone here tried one?

I've seen the pentax hot-shoe adapter but I was a bit surprised that they were £30 each and a long cable was £50! Over £100 to move my flash seems a bit steep!

Comment by circleofconfusion posted on Off camera flash at 30/08/2006 - 08:39

circleofconfusion
I've got a Pentax SuperA and a Cobra D550 dedicated flashgun. I'd like the get the flash off the camera. I was pondering just using a PC sync lead but I'd quite like to keep the TTL dedication working.

Any suggestions for a cable or wireless solution that would do this? I only need a 5m reach.

Thanks

Comment by circleofconfusion posted on Off camera flash at 29/08/2006 - 16:04

circleofconfusion
Colour management and monitor setup are tricky on Linux as few manufacturers support it directly but with persistence is is possible to live without Micro$oft

Have a look at Argyll ( http://www.argyllcms.com/ ) and LittleCMS( http://www.littlecms.com/ ).

For monitors check out http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

and

http://www.pcbypaul.com/software/monica.html

You should also look at CinePaint ( http://www.cinepaint.org/ ) This is undergoing a major rewrite at the moment and the current stable build is a bit out of date. It can handle 16bit images and ICC profiles, something lacking from the Gimp.

Hope this helps

Comment by circleofconfusion posted on Linux colour management at 15/06/2006 - 09:04

circleofconfusion
LEDs are a very interesting light source. They can be very bright and stable (being DC there is no flicker). The higher power ones do kick out some heat but it's nothing like as bad as a tungsten lamp.

Newer white LEDs usually use ultra violet light which is converted to a blue-ish white by a phosphor inside the LED. Some types use multi-coloured LEDs to generate white. Colour rendering can be a bit poor but it is getting better all the time.

For the more adventurous you can get IR versions (should be fun with HIE or SFX) or you can strobe them to make a flash unit.

I'd say give 'em a try!

Comment by circleofconfusion posted on LED Lights at 12/04/2006 - 11:52

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo