zoo trip
Posted 23/09/2008 - 18:54
Link
Nice shots, these.
I also find that my 18-55 kit lens behaves best close-in like this, not wide open (f4), or at its widest (18mm).
I think you've found the best use for it with these pictures.
It does a credible job with colours, doesn't it?
For longer range shots, I try to use Aperture Priority (AV) at at least f8, and focus manually if possible.
Cheers,
I also find that my 18-55 kit lens behaves best close-in like this, not wide open (f4), or at its widest (18mm).
I think you've found the best use for it with these pictures.
It does a credible job with colours, doesn't it?
For longer range shots, I try to use Aperture Priority (AV) at at least f8, and focus manually if possible.
Cheers,
Mac from Montreal
SP, SPII, SPF, PZ-10, P30, SFX, K110D, istDS, Optio 60, Z-10, H90, RZ10, I-10, f3.5 28mm, f1.8 55mm, f1.4 50mm, f3.5 135mm, f2.5 135mm, f4 50mm Macro, f4.5 80-200 F, f4 35-70, f3.5 28-80, f3.5 35-135, f3.5 18-55, f1.8 31mm Ltd., two Auto 110's, Auto 110 lenses and filters, tubes, bellows, Manfrottos and a sore back.
SP, SPII, SPF, PZ-10, P30, SFX, K110D, istDS, Optio 60, Z-10, H90, RZ10, I-10, f3.5 28mm, f1.8 55mm, f1.4 50mm, f3.5 135mm, f2.5 135mm, f4 50mm Macro, f4.5 80-200 F, f4 35-70, f3.5 28-80, f3.5 35-135, f3.5 18-55, f1.8 31mm Ltd., two Auto 110's, Auto 110 lenses and filters, tubes, bellows, Manfrottos and a sore back.
Posted 24/09/2008 - 10:58
Link
I have to say - I'm a bit amazed about the kit lens here. Very good shots. I have to dig my kit lens out of the bag now.!!
To answer you question - you will need a flash (or better 2 flashes) to get better closeup/macro shots. It will give you more light to play with - and give you the oppertunity to use f8-f16 - which suits macro work better.
The second shot lacks a bit of sharpness on the head - which would have been better with f8-f11 I recon.
To answer you question - you will need a flash (or better 2 flashes) to get better closeup/macro shots. It will give you more light to play with - and give you the oppertunity to use f8-f16 - which suits macro work better.
The second shot lacks a bit of sharpness on the head - which would have been better with f8-f11 I recon.
Posted 24/09/2008 - 16:25
Link
Thanks for the comments and tips, I would've never guessed f8-f16 for closeup.
BTW, those garden spiders are cool creatures -- about 2 inches (sorry not in centimetREs), always sew in a zigzag in their web, and when something lands in the web the spider will bounce it like a trampoline to further ensnare its prey.
BTW, those garden spiders are cool creatures -- about 2 inches (sorry not in centimetREs), always sew in a zigzag in their web, and when something lands in the web the spider will bounce it like a trampoline to further ensnare its prey.
Posted 24/09/2008 - 17:51
Link
Well done my friend!,,,,,,,,,Im into macro at the moment!....as for the kit lens(18/55)..mines a cracker,every bit as good as my 16/45!.......again very well done............Ken
K20D...ist DS ,DA18/55,DA16/45.DA* 50/135,"A"1.7 50MM..."A" 70/210..M 50mm f2...Tamron 90mm macro,28/300 Tamron,200/500 Tamron 6.9....A Pentax DA*300... Sigma10/20,FA31mm 1.8 Ltd*********,FA 77mm Ltd!
Posted 24/09/2008 - 17:51
Link
Lovely pictures!
Re. closeups, you know that the closer the range, the shallower the DOF. Hence the requirement for a higher f-stop to get a reasonable sharpness.
So far I only have the kit lens for general work and will have to do with its performance, which I sometimes find a little less than satisfactory. On close ranges, however, it appears to give good results, consisting with what you have found.
Re. closeups, you know that the closer the range, the shallower the DOF. Hence the requirement for a higher f-stop to get a reasonable sharpness.
So far I only have the kit lens for general work and will have to do with its performance, which I sometimes find a little less than satisfactory. On close ranges, however, it appears to give good results, consisting with what you have found.
Best regards
Terry
K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Terry
K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Posted 24/09/2008 - 17:59
Link
Try it at F22 for landscapes!.....you will be suprised!..............Ken
K20D...ist DS ,DA18/55,DA16/45.DA* 50/135,"A"1.7 50MM..."A" 70/210..M 50mm f2...Tamron 90mm macro,28/300 Tamron,200/500 Tamron 6.9....A Pentax DA*300... Sigma10/20,FA31mm 1.8 Ltd*********,FA 77mm Ltd!
Posted 25/09/2008 - 19:45
Link
Spider looks like an Argiope species, rather like our Argiope bruennichi, or Wasp Spider. Can bite, but won't do you any (unless you're very unlucky) harm. Think it's an Argiope aurantia.
Dan
Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


415 posts
18 years
Memphis,
TN USA
Butterflies and a garden spider (for the insect-o-freaks):
55mm, f 6.7, 1/60 sec
55mm, f5.6, 1/250 sec
50mm, f6.7, 1/250 sec
Flickr page:
link