Your Views Welcome.

duroo72

Link Posted 30/07/2008 - 02:23
Hello All , id appreciate your views on my Hdr photography ive not been taking pics for very long so any positive or constructive criticism will be greatly received , my shots can all be found on the link below.
www.duroo.co.uk

Nimitz

Link Posted 30/07/2008 - 07:13
Overall I tihnk you have a high quality. Well done.

Hard to comment on all of those. Post a few you want comments on.

I love you animal shots. I guess it is not real HDR but tonemapped single files. Never the less I like these kind of images.
www.mieritz.net

duroo72

Link Posted 30/07/2008 - 15:15
Nimitz wrote:
Overall I tihnk you have a high quality. Well done.

Hard to comment on all of those. Post a few you want comments on.

I love you animal shots. I guess it is not real HDR but tonemapped single files. Never the less I like these kind of images.

Thanks Nimitz very kind, ill have to start posting a few , i checked your website its very impressive.
www.duroo.co.uk

johnriley

Link Posted 30/07/2008 - 15:23
Why not post a couple of your favourites to start with? Trying to comment on them all is a bit of a task!
Best regards, John

duroo72

Link Posted 30/07/2008 - 17:25
Okey Dokes , well first up is my personal favourite so far , ive not had my K10d very long and im really enjoying it and digital manipulation - dont be to harsh with your comments!!

1. Tiger (1 frame pseudo hdr shot at Howletts June'08

2. Never Ending BoardWalk - 5 frame hdr shot taken at dungeness July 2008

3. London Tower Bridge (a proper photo! my first proper go at a night shot 18-55mm F22 3 minute exposure).

4. Lottery Win (5 frame hdr shot at Ightham Mote June 200

www.duroo.co.uk

johnriley

Link Posted 30/07/2008 - 18:36
I like the last one best. It really suits the technique. It's hardly a natural looking shot, but I think it's really good. Well done.
Best regards, John

duroo72

Link Posted 30/07/2008 - 18:44
Thanks John , has anyone started a topic on night photographry? as much as it makes me sad to say we are almost into august then autumn and then winter and ill be doing a lot more night shots, im interested to see you if you guys had thrashed a benchmark to begin with when taking this type of shot?
www.duroo.co.uk

Prieni

Link Posted 30/07/2008 - 19:33
Hi Duroo,

I like the tiger shot, it might not look realistic but nonetheless it's looking great.

On the second one I would have been bolder with the sky (I think most HDRs lend themselves to boldness somehow, as many of your samples demonstrate).
I hope you don't mind me having a quick go at that:

I added a black gradient to the sky with layer mode "soft light" and increased the saturation of the blues.

No. 3 is a good effort at night shots! What I don't understand is why you didn't use the HDR here as night shots are a classical target genre for HDR. You might want to give it a go. I like that area of the boardwalk but think it might have been better to aim a bit higher so that the lamp in the foreground would have fit in completely.

The last one also is a very nice HDR rendering (and showing the boldness in colours again that I mentioned above). I would crop out the darkish streak on the right hand edge, though.

Overall I think the tiger is my favourite.

On night shots: I'm sure it has come up in the past but that shouldn't hold you back to start a new thread on it.
Reading your question I did upload one of my night shots to the gallery (not that I am claiming this to be a benchmark; night shots are not really my speciality)

Best regards,
Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page

Helpful

duroo72

Link Posted 30/07/2008 - 19:55
Hi Prieni,
Thanks for your comments , im interested in other peoples points of view and i have taken your points on board and can see what you are saying.
I would have liked to of created a more dramatic sky on "never ending boardwalk" but the sky was virtually empty of clouds and i had just missed this really interesting cloud passing over there - o well!!

Wow the shot you have posted is fantastic - a hdr done subtly can be fantastic , id like to experiment more with hdr night photography but am not sure what a good base setting is for exposure and the five frames, how do you create your night hdr shots ie aperture settings.For daylight hdr photography i generally found that to set the middle frame of the 5 i left it on green button half pressed the shutter to focus and checked the display to see what the camera had chosen as its aperture i would then take this figure and use it as the midway point with the camera set to aperture priority and dial in 2ev in either direction but im not sure this theory could be used at night or could it?
www.duroo.co.uk

Prieni

Link Posted 30/07/2008 - 20:15
Thanks Duroo for giving me my first "greeny" point

I haven't really done much HDR so far and what I tried out were mostly developed from one raw file. The shot of the ship is not HDR but mainly straight from SilkyPix (though one could argue that the highlight controller is some sort of HDR) and further brightening up in Photoshop. The moon is taken from a separate shot as the one in the shot was hopelessly blown (however, that left the nice light on the clouds around the moon).

Your theory for the night shots does sound sensible to me. I usually leave it on aperture priority and use -ev (between 1 and 2; the ship was shot at -1ev). So I think what you are suggesting is a good starting point.

Cheers,
Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page

duroo72

Link Posted 30/07/2008 - 20:25
My Pleasure!

Ill have to do some experimental shots.
www.duroo.co.uk

GivingTree

Link Posted 31/07/2008 - 06:03
The tiger's my favorite - I like the pose. Very nice.

As far as HDR, I think the boardwalk is the best - not too much, still realistic looking.
"Just put your eye to the camera and push the button-thingy."
Flickr page:
link

Nimitz

Link Posted 31/07/2008 - 07:01
Thanks for the comment.

The tiger is an excellent shot - well framed.

I love the boardwalk - but I think you should have added more impact to the sky. Prieni did a great job. On the other hand you could have pushed the levle of black in the tonemapping to create a better and more contrasty sky.

Still - again - excellent composition.
www.mieritz.net
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.