yet more from Florida

womble

Link Posted 22/02/2010 - 19:19
I keep returning to the pictures I took on the beach in Florida. Remarkably, I managed to get a reasonably sharp photo of a bird (not my forte as regulars will know!). Anyone know what this wader is (remembering this is Florida in January).

Taken with the Tamron 70-300mm @ 300mm, f/8 @ 1/1000 sec.

K.

Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Hardgravity

Link Posted 22/02/2010 - 19:44
It looks like a Sanderling to me Kris.

As far as I know they're spread out along the shorelines the world over...

...but I could be wrong.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

jackitec

Link Posted 22/02/2010 - 20:01
Where is the purple fringing then Kris and I sold mine, nice shot though

Jack.

womble

Link Posted 22/02/2010 - 20:08
I guess there is no PF as it isn't a very high contrast shot. As I have said before, for a 40 quid lens I am not complaining!

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

GivingTree

Link Posted 23/02/2010 - 00:05
They're also called sandpipers.
I call them fun to watch.

Nice shot.
"Just put your eye to the camera and push the button-thingy."
Flickr page:
link
Last Edited by GivingTree on 23/02/2010 - 00:05

womble

Link Posted 23/02/2010 - 00:51
There were two varieties of bird scooting along the shore. Quite small ones which were very quick (bit bigger than a robin, a little smaller than a blackbird) and these ones which were bigger (bigger than a blackbird but leggier and thinner than a pigeon) and seemed less anxious to run away when I pointed my lens in their direction!

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear

My website

Utopia Poppy

Link Posted 23/02/2010 - 13:06
I think what you have captured there is a Sandpiper. Sanderlings are slightly smaller with shorter beaks, and have mottled markings on their backs and wings for most of the year. See, I knew being a member of the Young Ornothologists Club during my childhood would come in handy one day!

Nice shot by the way, I like the detail in the foaming water around it's legs.

Fiona
"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep". ~Scott Adams

Q | Various Q lenses & filters | KP | 35mm 2.8 Macro

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 23/02/2010 - 13:25
£40 for a lens that can do this? You had a bargain, Kris. Very nice shot. Did you have to boost the contrast much or is this pretty much what you got out of the camera?

Regards,

Andrew

P.S. I think a couple of weeks in Florida would do all shivering contributors to these pages a power of good!
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

womble

Link Posted 23/02/2010 - 14:24
bwichmawr wrote:
£40 for a lens that can do this? You had a bargain, Kris. Very nice shot. Did you have to boost the contrast much or is this pretty much what you got out of the camera?

Regards,

Andrew

P.S. I think a couple of weeks in Florida would do all shivering contributors to these pages a power of good!

I upped the vibrance a little, tweaked the curve a little, cropped a little to get the chappie on the thirds, and sharpened. All fairly minor tweaks.

Although this was on a beach in Florida, it was minus 1C at the time. Brrrrrrr...

The £40 was because Jessops were selling off all their Pentax gear. They sold out of the lens I wanted but offered me the Tamron at the same price so I took it. One day I'll splash the cash for a DA* 300 but for now the Tammy does me fine, thank you.

K.
Kris Lockyear

My website

womble

Link Posted 23/02/2010 - 15:52
This is the smaller of the two species of bird on the beach. Much quicker and more skittish than the first type, and more often in groups.

Best wishes, K.

PS. Yes, I know it isn't all that sharp!

Kris Lockyear

My website

pschlute

Link Posted 23/02/2010 - 16:03
The main picture is a cracker Kris
Peter

My Flickr page

royd63uk

Link Posted 23/02/2010 - 17:55
Great shots kris..the last one is either a knot or ringed plover of some sort

Roy
regards
Roy

Pentax K3 gripped,and some lenses
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentaxroy/

my pbase gallery

Aero

Link Posted 25/02/2010 - 12:32
To narrow down identification of the bird in the first pic, my bird-watching mate Andy reckons it's a willet, which is indeed a member of the sandpiper family link. He says he's seen quite a few of them in Florida. Excellent shot, Womble.

Al

womble

Link Posted 25/02/2010 - 12:36
That looks like the right one, many thanks indeed.

K.
Kris Lockyear

My website

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 25/02/2010 - 17:02
"I upped the vibrance a little, tweaked the curve a little, cropped a little to get the chappie on the thirds, and sharpened. All fairly minor tweaks." Kris

Kris, excuse my ignorance, but what's "vibrance". I looked for it on my antidiluvian version of PS CS but can't find it. Perhaps it was a later enhancement.

Best wishes,

A.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.