Yesterday's Butterflies

Lubbyman

Link Posted 25/08/2019 - 22:39
A butterfly expert friend led a few of us photographic types on a wander round a butterfly reserve yesterday (Alners Gorse, Dorset). Lots of standard 'from above, wings flat open' or 'from the side, wings raised' shots - not to mention plenty of the 'why doesn't it look my way?' and 'why did it land behind that leaf?' experiences .

Expert friend gets them all as a reward for his time and expertise, this forum gets a few that are a bit different. Enjoy!

K3 + DA*300mm + 1.4TC

Thoughts, comments welcome as usual.

1. Painted Lady (lots of them around)

2. Brimstone

3. Small Copper

Steve

davidwozhere

Link Posted 26/08/2019 - 00:16
Some of those 'head square on' shots can be really effective, as you show with the small copper. Nice set.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

drofmit

Link Posted 26/08/2019 - 11:39
My favourite is the Brimstone head-on shot... nicely different!!
Never be afraid to talk about your techniques...
"Give a thousand photographers...
the same camera, lens and scene...
and you'll always get a thousand different takes!!"
Anon.

wombat101010

Link Posted 26/08/2019 - 11:43
I like the Brimstone shot too, different.
Regards
Steve

Hypermodern

Link Posted 26/08/2019 - 18:14
Iím going to try this for myself next week. Was the 1.4 TC helpful? I was planning on just K3ii and DA*300 but I do have the HD TC.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 26/08/2019 - 22:14
Hypermodern wrote:
Was the 1.4 TC helpful?

The DA*300 and K3ii are OK for butterflies and I've got good pictures without the 1.4 TC. Minimum focus distance is 1.4m so you'll end up cropping if you want the butterfly to be big in the picture (unless you're photographing big tropical species!). The lens is plenty sharp enough and the camera has plenty enough pixels for that. What the 1.4TC gives that cropping can't is a bigger image of the butterfly in the viewfinder. I find that helpful for focus and composition, particularly for smaller species. But perhaps your eyesight is better than mine!

Try shooting both with and without the TC and see what suits you best.

Steve
Last Edited by Lubbyman on 26/08/2019 - 22:22

pschlute

Link Posted 26/08/2019 - 22:27
Brimstone for me too.
Peter

My Flickr page
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.