Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

WTB FA* 200 macro

fsge
Posted 24/05/2018 - 10:06 Link
Hello Everyone,

I guess topic is self explainative,
Looking for this one for maybe 3 years, pristine condition and price within acceptable range...
Thank you in advance and best regards.
Fred
Pentaxke
Posted 24/05/2018 - 12:13 Link
have a look at the following link:

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/audio-tv-en-foto/fotografie-lenzen-en-objectieven/m...

I don't know what he's asking, but it is worth the question.

He is from Holland but speaks English. I would mail him, because they don't show up very often.
(I would have bought it myself already if money weren't an issue...)
Cheers! Marc

Comment Image
ilovesaabs
Posted 24/05/2018 - 12:25 Link
I guess he will hold out for >€2500 as it is a wanted lens. If money was no object I'd bid that much and go and collect it.

Alternatively, look for deals for flights to Tokyo. When I went the shop I got my FA77Ltd from was very well stocked with FA* glass.

Cost of shipment and insurance will be an important factor (unless Fred happens to live in North Holland), hence the Tokyo suggestion
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Pentaxke
Posted 24/05/2018 - 12:39 Link
If you don't ask, you won't know what he asks for it...

What shop did you go to in Tokyo? I did some second hand shops in Tokyo but didn't see anything as exotic as the FA* 200 macro.
Cheers! Marc

Comment Image
fsge
Posted 24/05/2018 - 17:32 Link
Hello and thank you very much for your messages,

I know the question was not intended for me but I twice had opportunities to come back from Shinjuku with some nice gear I notably bought a 85mm there, also a 35 ltd, sigma 8-16 etc I remember BIC cameras, also Map camera with new and old gear, and there are many more shops in the surrounding area.
FA*200 macro is not easy to find even there ; back in 2015 I inquired and there was no copy available in the maybe 15 shops I visited. I was offered 2 copies of A* 200 instead but condition was not perfect at this time and I was undecided.
I will contact this Gentleman on marktplaats.
Have a lovely evening.

Fred
ilovesaabs
Posted 24/05/2018 - 19:12 Link
Pentaxke wrote:
If you don't ask, you won't know what he asks for it...

What shop did you go to in Tokyo? I did some second hand shops in Tokyo but didn't see anything as exotic as the FA* 200 macro.

I'll have to check my paperwork, my DFA Macro came from Osaka I think - perks of working for a japanese company...
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
xandos
Posted 24/05/2018 - 19:21 Link
To translate the most important parts of the marktplaats post:

- The lens is in overall very good condition, but does have some extremely light fungus on one of the elements, which is basically invisible.
- The seller will not ship it. You'd have to go get it.
- The seller also says he will not accept bids from abroad, but I'd assume that if you are willing to go get it and pay in euros, he might be okay with it.
- It will probably go on Ebay at the end of the month if he does not get a good bid.
MarcW
Posted 25/05/2018 - 13:54 Link
Hi all,

I'm the seller, second owner as far as I know. Lens is in near mint condition, only a small scratch on the hood. See pics on the original add on Marktplaats.

The light signs of fungus is not the reason I'm selling this lens, however reluctantly. Reasons is I don't use it enough since I do street mostly. It's somewhat heavy and not wide enough for the purpose. Moreover I'm too afraid of damaging it along the way since it's so incredibly rare. And we can also use the cash.

I'd be hesitant to ship it, again since it's rare and irreplaceable. However, within some EU countries I might consider it, after payment. I'd prefer this lens to go to a true Pentaxian, not someone in it for the money. Quality is absolutely stunning.

I'm already talking to three people interested, but the lens is still there. Highest bid at the moment is €1500. Please get in touch if you're interested, we might be able to work something out if you live overseas.

Thank you Xandos for your translation above.

Marc
Mike-P
Posted 25/05/2018 - 14:29 Link
xandos wrote:
- The lens is in overall very good condition, but does have some extremely light fungus on one of the elements, which is basically invisible.

Heartbreaking but that kills any interest I had in the lens, however light it may be.

The fear of this was one of the reasons I sold my FA* 250-600mm f5.6 (along with lack of use, value and fear of it becoming faulty)
ilovesaabs
Posted 25/05/2018 - 16:36 Link
Kudos for admitting to the fungus issues, sadly it is something that can worsen....Like Mike we have lenses we love but use very sparingly - my Limiteds and FA primes get little use, as do my Nikkor primes (except the 300) and I worry what long term storage does (even when taking precautions).
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
xandos
Posted 25/05/2018 - 16:44 Link
I also tend to avoid anything that mentions any type of fungus myself, however I am not anywhere near having the kind of budget that is necessary for this type of glass. What I wonder is, both for the seller and any possible buyer, would it not be worth getting the lens serviced and cleaned as its so rare and valuable?
fsge
Posted 25/05/2018 - 16:54 Link
xandos wrote:
I also tend to avoid anything that mentions any type of fungus myself, however I am not anywhere near having the kind of budget that is necessary for this type of glass. What I wonder is, both for the seller and any possible buyer, would it not be worth getting the lens serviced and cleaned as its so rare and valuable?

That is exactly what I am trying to figure out!
Pentaxke
Posted 25/05/2018 - 17:25 Link
I think everyone wants fungus free lenses, although if I would happen to have a donkey who s***s money I would go for it. It obviously doesn't affect the IQ and placing the lens in a space with lots of ventilation and dry air and lots of light should be enough to prevent the fungus further developing...
Cheers! Marc

Comment Image
MarcW
Posted 25/05/2018 - 20:19 Link
hi all, I've considered having the lens cleaned. First with a company in Rotterdam, who didn't dare to touch it since they didn't have the right machinery to calibrate the lens after cleaning (fungus is in the first lens part).

So I could still send it to Hamburg where they could probably clean it, but first they don't give a price estimate before seeing it and worse, they don't give guarantee in case something happens to the lens.

I'm not sure what to do with it myself to be honest. As for now, I'm planning to sell it "as is" and leave possible repair (costs and risk) to buyer. However, I'm not sure if it really needs cleaning. It doesn't show in the results at all and if treated well, the fungus isn't likely to grow. If treated better (direct sunlight, good ventilation) I understand it might even go away.

I do however understand this is something that would stop someone from taking the chance. Here's how I managed to capture it using the very bright LED light from my phone and a macro lens (FA 100mm 2.8 ). Comment Image
Edited by MarcW: 25/05/2018 - 20:20
angerdan
Posted 27/05/2018 - 23:32 Link

How did you manage to find this?
When i enter the title in the search box, i didn't get the lens listed...

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.