Wtb A Tele-converter for Da* 300

derek897

Link Posted 06/06/2013 - 08:16
As the title says, im thinking of getting a converter for my Da*300mm f4
If anyone has one that works with this lens. Im looking for something that wont affect the i/q too adversely. Which one is the best to look for.
derek
I know what i like, If not always why.

MartynUK

Link Posted 06/06/2013 - 12:42
Personally, I wouldn't bother Derek. I've got the DA*300 and acquired the 1.7x TC (not the pentax one admittedly) that most people recommend - but the quality doesn't really surpass that which can be obtained from a crop of the basic lens.

But then....maybe someone knows different!
Martyn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northamptonshirecouk/

Blythman

Link Posted 06/06/2013 - 13:25
MartynUK wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't bother Derek. I've got the DA*300 and acquired the 1.7x TC (not the pentax one admittedly) that most people recommend - but the quality doesn't really surpass that which can be obtained from a crop of the basic lens.

The gannets in this thread were taken with the DA*300 and Pentax 1.7xTC. While the Razorbills were without the TC
For info, the Fulmar was with the Sigma 150-500
https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/a-selection-from-bempton-cliffs-41670
Alan

PPG
Flickr

gwing

Link Posted 06/06/2013 - 13:35
Blythman wrote:
MartynUK wrote:

The gannets in this thread were taken with the DA*300 and Pentax 1.7xTC. While the Razorbills were without the TC
For info, the Fulmar was with the Sigma 150-500
https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/a-selection-from-bempton-cliffs-41670

There doesn't seem much wrong with the 1.7x from those piccies Alan. In fact, not that anything definitive can be said from random examples, but there is something about rendition of those gannet shots with the 300/1.7x that is more pleasing to my eyes than either the Sigma or the 300 on its own - which doesn't make sens, but its my eyes

Great shots as well.

percy

Link Posted 06/06/2013 - 14:07
The Tamron 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 is quite highly regarded, link but is no longer in production and it's difficult to find one nowadays. I managed to get hold of one, and am not planning to let it go.
It does autofocus quite well on the DA* 300 - not as easily as it does without the teleconverter fitted, but still quite acceptably. I find there is no noticable loss of image quality.
I would say that if you regularly want the extra range then you might be better just getting a longer lens, but for infrequent/occasional use and travelling light then this TC is more than up to the job.
Last Edited by percy on 06/06/2013 - 14:07

stevejcoe

Link Posted 06/06/2013 - 14:08
Hi Derek , you have a pm.

Regards Steve

derek897

Link Posted 06/06/2013 - 15:54
Thanks for the info folks. All help greatly appreciated.

derek897

Link Posted 06/06/2013 - 17:05
Pm replied to Steve.
Cheers
Derek
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.