WTB - Enlarger copying frame

jeallen01

Link Posted 13/01/2020 - 19:18
Evening

Looks like I'm going to need a copying stand on to which to fit one of the cameras (Pentax, of course!) so as to archive a huge pile of prints which would take too long to scan.

Anyone have one of those for sale, and if so a few pics and a price would be appreciated?
(NB: could collect in the Western areas of Greater London)

PS: Best thing I can find on ebay is around 50 quid (new) delivered, so as to indicate where the "price limit" might be
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

Benz3ne

Link Posted 13/01/2020 - 21:38

jeallen01

Link Posted 13/01/2020 - 23:12
Benz3ne wrote:
https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/fs-pentax-copipod-63030

Is this the sort of thing you mean?

Could be - OTOH, the enlarger-based approach with a fixed column (preferably angled) and a height-adjustable bracket for the camera might be more stable and flexible as the prints to be copied are in a range of sizes.

Members' experiences with both types would thus be appreciated.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body) , & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 13/01/2020 - 23:15

womble

Link Posted 14/01/2020 - 09:54
The copipod is great because it is small and light. You do need a firm surface to put it on, and make sure you use a remote and the delay. I've happily copied A4 pages that way.

The copystand approach would be less fiddly as it would be sturdier, and if you get a good one would have lights too (mine does). BUT, it takes up an awful lot of room.

There are smaller copystands that fold into a box. I have a Pentax one, probably from the 1960s, but they are hard to find.

With all three approaches the best thing to do is to sort your images into sizes. Set-up for one size, photograph the lot quickly, set-up for the next and so on. Zooming in and out for every image will slow you down no end.

Good luck, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Last Edited by womble on 14/01/2020 - 09:55

smc

Link Posted 14/01/2020 - 11:06
"!With all three approaches the best thing to do is to sort your images into sizes".

This is an excellent idea (and obvious I suppose)!

I have a Krokus stands with lights on each side. The main issue is avoiding reflections from photos and trying to get colour temperature/white balance right first time rather than in post.

womble

Link Posted 14/01/2020 - 22:24
smc wrote:
This is an excellent idea (and obvious I suppose)!

Many years ago I was helping a friend print hundreds of photos of archaeological artefacts (and by print I mean in the darkroom). Artefact photos are printed at 1:1 so you have to match the scale in the photograph to a scale on the baseboard of the enlarger. He'd zoomed in and out for every artefact meaning that I had to adjust the height of the enlarger head for every print. ARRGGHH. Since then, I've made sure that anyone photographing artefacts does them by size! Even digitally, its much easier if things are in batches size-wise.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

jeallen01

Link Posted 14/01/2020 - 22:41
Not yet figured out what I'm going to buy/do - but many thanks for all the inputs and experiences

And so please keep them coming.
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 14/01/2020 - 22:42

smc

Link Posted 15/01/2020 - 12:05
The cost of proper copy stands on ebay is amazing. You might be better off buying an enlarger with the right fitting.

jeallen01

Link Posted 15/01/2020 - 18:46
smc wrote:
The cost of proper copy stands on ebay is amazing. You might be better off buying an enlarger with the right fitting.

Good idea - any suggestions as to what to look for?

smc

Link Posted 15/01/2020 - 21:29
Lots of ideas here:

https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/replacing-enlarger-head-with-dslr.142642/

jeallen01 wrote:
smc wrote:

Good idea - any suggestions as to what to look for?

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.