Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Wotcha!

davey
Posted 31/12/2010 - 21:12 Link
Hi there,

I thought now was a good time to make my first post here - I can wish you all a happy new year!

Pentax and I go back quite a few years - I still have my first - a Spotmatic F. I don't run much film these days but its nice to have around. I've a couple of more recent Pentax film cameras but really prefer the 'F'.

For the last couple of years I've been using a Samsung GX10. Lovely camera and nicely built. But, its low light performance isn't great - this is vital to me as I mainly shoot live music events - often in badly lit clubs!

I decided a few days ago an upgrade was required. Part because of the usual difficulties shooting in very low light, and also because I have a progressive neurological condition - one symptom of which is a pretty interesting tremor - this is certainly not compatible with photographing performers moving around in the dark, with settings of F2.8 and 1/30th second! If I'm completely honest about it my tremor has progressed to a point where I haven't really been getting results I want on the GX10 - it was a choice of either upgrading so something more capable or giving up.

So, a couple of days ago I bought me a shiny new K-r. I'm rather hoping its impressive (on paper at least) low light performance will buy me a stop or two and perhaps even reduce the inevitable noise! Had a quick play with the new toy today. First impression is its really pretty straightforward - I always shoot manual and its layout of vital controls is quite similar to the GX10.

I think I might have struck lucky too. Auto focus is vital to me as I have damage to both eyes which isn't correctable. My lens of choice is a Sigma 50-150 F2.8. I bought it about 6 months ago and while it is capable of clear sharp results it has always back focussed badly - the best it can achieve is 'AutoNearlyFocus'! On first tests it appears my new K-r forward focusses badly - not good individually but perhaps this camera and lens are a match made in heaven! With maximum use of the camera's autofocus fine tune it's pretty close - only about a cm out - I might be able to live with that!

I tried the live view with its sensor based contrast af - alas not compatible with my lens. Tried my Sigma on my new camera and on the shop demo body, also tried the shop copy of my lens on both bodies and the contrast af has a 100% failure rate in all combinations even though it works nicely on the kit lens!

So there you go. There's a little about davey. I'm looking forward to chatting on the forum - I'm sure there is much I can learn.

If you want to see any of my pics there are a few on my flickr page:
link

Thanks for reading. All the best for 2011, and speak soon,

davey.
i-Berg
Posted 31/12/2010 - 22:21 Link
G'day and welcome. Check out the rest of the site then, as there has been plenty of discussion about various cameras being corrected for autofocus. My K10 needed a substantial adjustment, but now that is done (thanks to a firmware hack) the autofocus is quite useable.

I don't have the Kr, so look around here and ask. You're likely to get plenty of advice.

All the best!
snappychappy
Posted 31/12/2010 - 22:23 Link
Hi and welcome to the fold.
tomkeet
Posted 31/12/2010 - 22:28 Link
Welcome to the forum.
Regards
Tom

K-1ii,K-3iii's.
SMC PENTAX-DA FISH-EYE 1:3.5-4.5 10-17mm ED [IF], SMC PENTAX-DA* 1:2.8 16-50mm ED AL [IF] SDM,
SMC PENTAX-DA 1:4 15mm ED AL Limited, SMC PENTAX-DA 1:3.2 21mm AL Limited,
SMC PENTAX-F 1:2.8 28mm, SMC PENTAX-FA 1:2 35mm AL,
SMC PENTAX-FA 1:1.4 50mm, SMC PENTAX-DA 1:2.4 70mm Limited,
SMC PENTAX-D FA MACRO 1:2.8 100mm WR, SMC PENTAX-DA* 1:4 300mm ED [IF] SDM,
SMC PENTAX-FA* 1:4 600mm IF & ED,
HD PENTAX -DA 1.4x AW AF REAR CONVERTER,
PENTAX AF160FC Auto Macro Ring Flash.

https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artist-gallery/?artist_id=20168301
StephenLewis
Posted 01/01/2011 - 14:01 Link
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Cheers,

Stephen
I gladly welcome C & C's. Being foggy minded they really help me learn.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.