Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

workflow suggestions

johna
Posted 07/01/2009 - 10:24 Link
Hi

I have just installed Elements 7 and am presently going through the book " The Missing Manual", However I am finding it all a bit daunting. I am finding that I am prbaly trying to do to many things and in the wrong order. I am shooting mainly raw files but also some JPEG's. My work is mostly landscapes. I just looking for a few tweaks here and there to end up with a good looking final image which I would probably wish to print off to A4 size of just store for the future. I usually like to crop a bit of images and sharpen ( when I find the best way to sharpen). If anyone could suggest a logical workflow that I might follow I would be very grateful. Also anything I should really get to learn or avoid?

Cheers

Johna
There are three kinds of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't
josh
Posted 07/01/2009 - 11:26 Link
I have Elements 6. The easy way for me import raw files from card into Elements catalouge. Delete non keepers. Open each raw file in full edit. Apply what tweaks and settings you are happy with close file. Save as set version which also keeps original file. After editing all new images export all as jpegs if you wish to new file folder in My Pictures. You then have choice to keep all originals in Elements catalouge or delete them if you wish to free up space and you no longer wish to work on originals in future raw files. Obviously this will take time if you have many raw images. However there is a batch process option that lets you batch process all newly imported files, although this only allows you to apply the same tweaks and settings to all new images at once. Unless more experienced users could point you and I in a better direction.
Cheers
JOSH.
Gwyn
Posted 07/01/2009 - 12:32 Link
I have Elements 6.
I import my photos directly into the organiser. Then I back them up. Even the duds (you never know when they might come in handy).
I then sort through and decide which ones I want to work on. By opening a RAW file in full edit you automatically come into Camera RAW where you can do the initial tweaks to the photo. Try playing with it yourself and see what you like best. You can change the white balance here as well as lots of other adjustments. Do not touch the saturation slider, but do try the vibrance and clarity sliders. If you have a lot of photos taken at the same time you can do a batch conversion by selecting them and then opening them all in camera raw, and again selecting them all. Whatever you do to the top photo will also be done to the rest. If you find you are always using the same settings you can save these, page 224 in MM tells you how.
You can also crop in camera RAW, and do some initial sharpening if you wish.
In full edit I then do further things like levels, etc and sharpening, though I don't sharpen all my photos. I save them as jpegs since Tiffs are huge and I don't have the room for them. You can try the auto settings first if you like, but generally doing it yourself is better.
Since I have backed up the originals I don't save the converted RAW as a set version with the original.
I'd suggest starting with a photo you are happy with but which isn't a keeper and just play with it to see what everything does to it. Who knows it may turn into a keeper

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.