Wobbly LX viewfinder

BrixtonNick

Link Posted 21/11/2013 - 17:59
My LX arrived today. It has the FB-1 system finder and FC-1 action finder combo, like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolf-t/5503073285/ (not my picture). I was expecting the viewfinder to be rock solid when mounted, just like a lens. But there's a little bit of slack between the FB-1 and the body. It rattles a lot when I shake the body. Is this normal?

womble

Link Posted 21/11/2013 - 18:09
Assuming it won't slide off then a little slack is fairly normal. I only have experience of my LX but there is a little movement in the prisms (whichever one is fitted), possibly the result of a little wear in a 30 year old camera. I've had no problems with them though (apart from my FA-1W where the glass came loose and had to be stuck back in place).

Enjoy the LX, it is a lovely camera. K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

BrixtonNick

Link Posted 21/11/2013 - 18:18
I'm fascinated by it! Bought on ebay and arrived today. Got any tips on checking its condition?

womble

Link Posted 21/11/2013 - 20:40
The main thing is the light seals. Try running your finger around the edge of the open film door. If you get black goo on your finger the seals need replacing. Also check the mirror bumper foam, it should be undamaged and not crumbly or gooey. Try firing the shutter a few times with no lens fitted and make sure the mirror isn't sticking. Lastly, put it on automatic, shut the aperture to about f/11, sit the camera somewhere in low light and fire the shutter. The low light metering of the LX is amazing. The shutter may stay open for several minutes and then close again. In the right circumstances the shutter could stay open for hours...!

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Helpful

BrixtonNick

Link Posted 21/11/2013 - 23:53
Oh dear. I fired the shutter with no lens and the mirror has stuck. What do I do now?

Edit: I tweaked the shutter dial and the mirror flipped back and is operating fine. I think I just need to learn what the dial does.
Last Edited by BrixtonNick on 22/11/2013 - 00:03

womble

Link Posted 21/11/2013 - 23:57
It has probably stuck to the mirror bumper. Very, very gently see if you can free it with the tip of your finger. Do not touch the surface of the mirror. If that works you need to replace the foam bumper.

K.
Kris Lockyear

My website

BrixtonNick

Link Posted 22/11/2013 - 00:15
OK, all tests passed with flying colours! Many thanks for your help.

doingthebobs

Link Posted 22/11/2013 - 00:17
Sounds like you need a foam seal kit for your LX, if the mirror bumper is sticky. Try contacting Jon Goodman JGood21967@aol.com

He produces pre-cut kits of foam seals and will send them to you for a few pounds. A mirror bumper is usually provided with all the other seals, along with instructions. Not difficult to do if you have a reasonably steady hand.
Bob

BrixtonNick

Link Posted 22/11/2013 - 00:53
Actually I don't think it's the least bit sticky - it was my fault for doing something wrong with the shutter dial.

johnha

Link Posted 24/02/2014 - 00:01
My FA-1 fits tightly, my FB-1/FC-1 has a bit of for/aft movement (maybe 1mm).

The LX meters off the shutter blind before the exposure and off the film during long exposures in 'automatic'. If you shoot it in automatic with the lens cap on, the shutter will remain open for a long long time, the solution is to remove the lens cap and point it at light, the shutter will close when it reads enough light has hit the film. The manual states that moving the shutter speed dial to a manual speed will have the same effect.

With no lens, the camera probably thinks the aperture is set to f/22 and may hold the shutter open for a long time as a result (as above - moving the shutter dial to a manual speed will close the shutter and drop the mirror).

John.
PPG Flickr

george_in_georgia

Link Posted 17/02/2016 - 22:07
doingthebobs wrote:
Sounds like you need a foam seal kit for your LX, if the mirror bumper is sticky. Try contacting Jon Goodman JGood21967@aol.com

He produces pre-cut kits of foam seals and will send them to you for a few pounds. A mirror bumper is usually provided with all the other seals, along with instructions. Not difficult to do if you have a reasonably steady hand.

Jon Goodman is indeed worthy of his name! But I'm not at all sure that the LX uses foam for the back cover. Jon will know.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.