wireless flash?

RobL

Link Posted 01/04/2015 - 20:36
I have just bought a AF360FGZII flash to use with a K50 and it all seems to be working ok EXCEPT I can't find how to trigger the flash when disconnected from the camera without using the built-in flash. The K50 manual says I must use the built-in flash or multiple units for wireless operation. Any ideas?

McGregNi

Link Posted 01/04/2015 - 21:12
That's correct ... The wireless system uses light-based communications between the camera and flash. Put the flash on the hotshoe and follow the channel setting process in the manual. Take the flash off. Raise the pop-up, set ' wireless' flash mode, switch on ' wireless' on the flash and you're good to go.

You have a choice in the custom menu of whether the pop-up only acts s trigger, or it can also add lighting as well . You can control the amount of this with flash compensation on the camera.

Have a go and let us know how it works, and any further questions ...
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 01/04/2015 - 21:14

Gwyn

Link Posted 01/04/2015 - 21:14
Afik you have to use the built in flash. Alternatively buy a wireless trigger set, or a long flash cable.

richandfleur

Link Posted 01/04/2015 - 21:53
RobL wrote:
I have just bought a AF360FGZII flash to use with a K50 and it all seems to be working ok EXCEPT I can't find how to trigger the flash when disconnected from the camera without using the built-in flash. The K50 manual says I must use the built-in flash or multiple units for wireless operation. Any ideas?

When Pentax says wireless, they are referring to optical/flash triggered communication commands.

Wireless means no wires, which optical is, but it's not the radio wireless many interpret this to mean.
To do off camera flash, where the remote unit is triggered via radio connection, you will have to purchase a separate pair of radio triggers.

Otherwise you are limited to using the built in camera flash, or a flash mounted on the camera itself, to trigger another off camera flash via optical means.

RobL

Link Posted 01/04/2015 - 23:13
Thanks very much folks for your considered replies; I did see a feature on youtube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFchyocdQRI in which the presenter shows you can disable the built-in flash on the K5Ii in the camera menu. I tried this but it didn't work on the K50. As you rightly point out, the 'wireless' function is light-activated.

One other thing - the SRS Microsystems website says it can be used in the rain, but the manual says that it "is designed to be water-proof and dust-proof. However do not use the flash unit where it may be directly exposed to rain, water etc". In other words, it is designed to be waterproof but that doesn't mean it is. How does that stand with the Trade Descriptions Act?
Last Edited by RobL on 01/04/2015 - 23:15

SteveLedger

Link Posted 02/04/2015 - 04:52
I bought a FlashQ system recently. Works very well and is 'radio signal' wireless.

McGregNi

Link Posted 02/04/2015 - 07:01
That does look like a neat and easy to use wireless trigger ... One difference to understand about the Pentax proprietary system and third party solutions is that with the Pentax system you retain full P-TTL flash exposure metering and control. On the flash gun you can set P-TTL in wireless mode or manual depending on your situation and needs.

You lose this automatic flash control system with radio triggers .... So you will need to use full manual mode and make your own flash output settings.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Fletcher8

Link Posted 02/04/2015 - 07:20
Cactus make a wireless trigger "V6" you can control the power and zoom of TTL flashes and set them in groups and they are designed to work with Pentax. The V6 units also have a stroboscopic setting to mimic high speed sync flash, overall they are currently the most versatile piece of kit for anything to do with flash.
Fletcher8.

McGregNi

Link Posted 02/04/2015 - 08:10
Do you have to use the Cactus flashes to get TTL and the zoom and power settings, or does the trigger work with Pentax flashes?

richandfleur

Link Posted 02/04/2015 - 10:44
McGregNi wrote:
Do you have to use the Cactus flashes to get TTL and the zoom and power settings, or does the trigger work with Pentax flashes?

No. They allow you to remotely adjust remote flash power output from the camera location , but it's still you setting the value, not the camera.

So very much manual control. They are cool though, working with lots of different brands as well as their own.

No HSS option though as this requires Pentaxs ttl system to enable in camera.

McGregNi

Link Posted 02/04/2015 - 10:59
That seems to contradict what Fletcher said above ....I was really asking if the V6 will trigger a Pentax flashgun, or only their own Cactus ones? Are you saying Fletcher that the TTL works with Pentax Flashes ? This is just so confusing! I thought the Cactus flashes were manual only. Also for HSS you need P-TTL to measure the output I think ....

Fletcher8

Link Posted 02/04/2015 - 15:26
Nigel, the Cactus V6 triggers work with virtually all Pentax TTL flashes and Metz (pentax models) one of the many great features is that you can use any TTL flash be it Nikon, Canon, and you can even programme TTL flashes in learning mode if a TTL flash is not listed. HSS they can't do in a true sense as the are not P-TTL, but you can set the flash to fire burst pulses which can mimic HSS. In short, yes they are only manual flash triggers, but you have such control over the power and all from the camera, it makes flash work a breeze. I am even using the on my Sony A6000 and A7mkll. You can purchase them from the UK now even WEX have them listed. The build quality could be better, but they work flawlessly and they are so enjoyable to use and have been designed with Pentax users in mind too.

Nigel, the HSS mimic feature in relation to the maths is described in the manual that comes with the triggers. I would struggle to explain how this feature works, but I can get my flashes to do this very effectively, it just takes a little experimentation.
Fletcher8.
Last Edited by Fletcher8 on 02/04/2015 - 15:32

MattMatic

Link Posted 02/04/2015 - 16:08
Quote:
fire burst pulses which can mimic HSS

Having read the manual, I'm sorry but I can't see that it does

Section 14.3 of the manual shows three usages: HDR style shots (so different flash powers), slave group sequencing, speeding up recycle time (so you can have 2 or more slaves and alternate).

The burst mode in the Cactus allows for multiple firings, but not the HSS type. The Cactus V6 will be limited to 1/180s sync speed of the dSLR.

Just to clarify: the Cactus will allow you to use TTL (analogue) and P-TTL flash guns as slaves (and i-TTL etc of other makes) as controllable manual slaves. Effectively the trigger is manual, but the Cactus allows complete control of the slaves from the transmitter's LCD panel + dials, so you don't have to jump up and down to adjust the slave power ratios etc.

I'm seriously tempted by a set of three... would make portable studio work really easy (though it's not that difficult TBH!)

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Last Edited by MattMatic on 02/04/2015 - 16:09

McGregNi

Link Posted 02/04/2015 - 16:47
OK, thanks Fletcher and Matt so, have I got this right now ? ..... a Cactus V6 trigger mounted on the camera will use radio signals to control a Pentax (or Metz etc P-TTL equivalent-type) flashgun. There is no actual P-TTL exposure control, but you operate the flash in manual mode, and on the V6 trigger display there will be controls for manual flash output and flash head zoom ... allowing remote control of these elements without leaving the camera position.

There are some other functionalities offered such as 'HDR' ...(that sounds like flash exposure bracketing??) , but not HSS ....
.... or is the verdict still out on HSS? Does that sound like a good summary?

How are the radio signals received by the flashes ? Is there a cold-shoe attachment that goes on the flash for this? And does the flash need to be set to a channel or otherwise 'tuned' to the trigger? Sorry for so many questions, truth is there is a lot of misunderstanding and conflicting commentary out there about these sorts of devices!
Last Edited by McGregNi on 02/04/2015 - 16:48

MattMatic

Link Posted 02/04/2015 - 17:37
That's a fair summary. Flash power only (not zoom).

The Cactus also allows very short bursts 1/256 for freezing fast events - this is not HSS. You have a long-ish shutter speed and a low flash power for the shorted burst of light. It allows you to freeze drops, balloons bursting etc.

The Cactus in RX mode communicates with the flash through the hot shoe - emulating P-TTL signals tha would've come from the camera. The flash thinks it's on a camera that's doing exposure control, but it's the Cactus in RX just simulating this to provide the power control.

Cactus to Cactus is radio (2.4GHz spectrum). Their own flash gun has the radio electronics built in, and can be used as a manual master on-camera too. (It may be cheaper getting that than extra dedicated guns and Cactus RX/TX units)

Hope that helps!
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.