Winchester Cathedral

kingalew

Link Posted 20/07/2014 - 23:20
Evening.

Been generally too scared of negative feedback to ever post any of my photo's on here. Feel silly even thinking it, everyone here is always fair with their comments, both positive and negative, so what am I worried about? My four best shots from a weekend excursion to the rather lovely Winchester Cathedral. Minor Lightroom corrections made, including fixing the verticals on 2 & 3. All shot with a K20d, handheld. C&C desired, best way to improve right?

1. Stock 18-55 @ 18mm.

2. Sigma 10-20 @ 10mm

3. Sigma 10-20 @ 10mm

4. Pentax 50mm f1.8, no flash

Thanks, g'night

Lewis
www.flickr.com/photos/kingalew/
Current - K3, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 70-300mm, Pentax DA 35mm f2.4, Pentax DA 18-55mm WR, Pentax DA 50-200mm WR, Pentax Da 50mm f1.8, Sigma manual 28mm, Pentax Ltd 40mm f2.8, Sigma 70mm f2.8 Macro.

davidstorm

Link Posted 21/07/2014 - 01:14
Don't be afraid, they are great.

The best way to learn is to judge ourselves by others and take on board their comments and constructive criticism. My only comment is on 2 and 3, the shadows need some detail bringing back, you should learn how to do this and your images will improve!

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Helpful

08tiger

Link Posted 21/07/2014 - 02:08
They look good to my eye, Take on board any criticism and improve by it, this forum has been a great help to me.
C&C welcome.
Don.

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 21/07/2014 - 07:26
You should never be afraid of posting here: most of us are only amateurs trying our best to get better.
As you specifically asked, I took the liberty of correcting the converging verticals in the west front shot. Often this effect works well, adding drama, but if you're after an architectural record, it's better, in my opinion, to straighten things up a little.

Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

Helpful

fritzthedog

Link Posted 21/07/2014 - 08:51
As David and Andrew have already said - never be afraid of posting images here. You are unlikely to receive criticism in the true sense. You are much more likely to receive appreciation for sharing your images and some helpful tips and advice. One thing never to lose sight of is that often we will only be expressing personal preferences which may differ to yours - and to the opinions of others leaving comments - and even this can be useful.

As an example - Andrew has shown you how different the second shot could look with the converging verticals corrected. For me - I prefer your version of the shot with the converging verticals - it looks more dramatic to me.

I like the first shot but personally I would have taken it from in front of the drainpipe which I find a bit distracting - or I would crop it out or clone it out. Again - just personal preference.

Keep sharing, it's good for you

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Last Edited by fritzthedog on 21/07/2014 - 08:52

Helpful

kingalew

Link Posted 21/07/2014 - 09:49
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. My rambling blurb was trying to suggest that I now know, having been on this site for so long without really making any impact on it, that I shouldn't be afraid. The feedback here is always honest and fair - who can ask for more.

David -
Quote:
My only comment is on 2 and 3, the shadows need some detail bringing back, you should learn how to do this and your images will improve!

I'll have a crack at that when I get home tonight, many thanks!

Andrew - My sincere thanks for correcting the verticals, I actually thought I had (using LR5.4) but after comparing mine and yours I can now see what they should look like - back to the drawing board there.

Don - Thanks very much.

Carl - The beauty of this whole site, I actually prefer Andrew's version! I didn't even see the drainpipe until you mentioned it, and now I can't see anything else. I'll have a crack at cloning it tonight too, see if I can work that out. You are 100% right, sharing is good for me!
www.flickr.com/photos/kingalew/
Current - K3, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 70-300mm, Pentax DA 35mm f2.4, Pentax DA 18-55mm WR, Pentax DA 50-200mm WR, Pentax Da 50mm f1.8, Sigma manual 28mm, Pentax Ltd 40mm f2.8, Sigma 70mm f2.8 Macro.
Last Edited by kingalew on 21/07/2014 - 09:50

MrB

Link Posted 21/07/2014 - 12:41
kingalew wrote:

Andrew - My sincere thanks for correcting the verticals, I actually thought I had (using LR5.4) but after comparing mine and yours I can now see what they should look like - back to the drawing board there.

If a realistic view is desired, then verticals need correcting with careful judgement. Making all vertical lines vertical does not necessarily work, and it does not work here, as it is dependent on the viewpoint from which the image was captured. The corrected version has the effect of making the top look too wide.

Our perception is honed by experience to expect objects further away to appear smaller than those nearer - this is perspective. So, if we are at ground level looking up at a tall building, perception expects the top to look smaller. This effect decreases as we move away from the structure, because our distance from the top becomes more similar to our distance from the bottom.

In this view of the cathedral, the difference in top/bottom viewing distances will still have a noticeable effect on perception from the position of the photographer. Therefore, even though the perspective needs correction in the image as shot, there should still be a slight conversion of the verticals for this photo to look right.

Cheers.
Philip

Helpful

MrB

Link Posted 21/07/2014 - 14:28
Correction -

In this view of the cathedral, the difference in top/bottom viewing distances will still have a noticeable effect on perception from the position of the photographer. Therefore, even though the perspective needs correction in the image as shot, there should still be a slight convergence of the verticals for this photo to look right.

Philip

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 21/07/2014 - 18:49
Well done, Mr B, a very detailed and intelligent explanation. You're absolutely right: I've over-corrected the shot and, on closer inspection, the top does look a bit wide. Just ignore me chaps. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Every day a school day!
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Last Edited by bwlchmawr on 21/07/2014 - 18:49
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.