Will K5 price be driven down by new mirrorless?

Error
  • You need to be logged in to vote on this poll

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 02/02/2012 - 16:05
Will the price of K5 bodies go down with the release of the new 'Knock-Out-One'?

I'm kinda hoping so...

Will the price of lenses go up? (both new and on the secondhand market)

I'm hoping not...
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

timothyw

Link Posted 02/02/2012 - 16:12
To be honest, except for particularly rare lenses I'm expecting lens prices to be going down a bit over the next year (if they haven't already).

Certainly the availability of the new 40mm lens as kit will push down prices of the 40mm ltd second hand.

I do rather like the look of the K-1, but I can't see it actually bringing many new people to the brand - and those that do come over are unlikely to be the sort of people who buy a lot of lenses, IMHO.

Combined with that, the recent sale runs at Amazon and Jessops etc have seen a lot of lens going for much less than they were previously, so putting more of them into the second hand market (as people try to sell on for profit) and of course reducing demand as people looking for them have been able to buy.

apeksdiver

Link Posted 02/02/2012 - 16:12
I doubt that the new mirror less will affect k-5 prices they will almost certainly drop as time goes in until the replacement model is available. Second hand prices are still high at the mo, they will drop rapidly if a replacement model is released

cabstar

Link Posted 02/02/2012 - 17:00
The problem now is they cannot reduce the price of the k-5 as that would make it cheaper than the entry level camera, they have put themselves in a right pickle there...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 02/02/2012 - 17:20
No, but the K-01 will reduce in price when it hits the street, and the K5 will sustain it's (already low, for what it is) price, more or less, until a K5 replacement appears. These cameras have two different markets entirely.

Quote:
BJP: Can you tell us what is the target audience for this camera?
Jonathan Martin: The K-01 is aimed at, first and foremost, the fashion and design market, which we see as a new market for us. But it's also aimed at current Pentax users, who will have the ability of using their current range of Pentax lenses on a brand new product.

I believe if the K-01 falls to NEX-competitive prices, used K-mount lenses will become even more sought after. We are all finding the K-01 pretty funny, but the reviews will confirm class leading IQ, for sure, so all is not lost!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 02/02/2012 - 17:23

japers45

Link Posted 02/02/2012 - 17:26
"fashion and design market"

what the hell does that mean?

Is the camera going to be available in chuffing Top Shop?

What an enormous tool.

redbusa99

Link Posted 02/02/2012 - 23:35
it is not strictly a K5 replacement so why would the price drop, it is a lower spec and not as user friendly as the K5 with the bits that have been left off. on the other forum it says the new slim lenses to be released later will be K01 only, so don,t raise your hopes on cheap lenses either. at the end of the day Ricoh have looked at the market and decided this type of camera is where the money is and that is the bottom line
odd lens or 2

Flickr

cabstar

Link Posted 03/02/2012 - 01:50
No what I think has happened is they got the guy to design it & then realised they hadnt thought who this camera was marketed & the nsome manager says its for the fashion & design market as it has been designed by a top designer....

In order for the k-5 price to drop the k-01 will need to drop in price first & that wont be for a few months yet.

As for lens prices I am guessing until the new lens road map goes into production then lens prices on the used market will continue increasing, particularly long fast glass & SDM / HSM compatible teleconverters..
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Don

Link Posted 03/02/2012 - 02:15
the k-01 won't affect the value of the k-5... they are different animals, appeal to different shooters and in fact, the two would be complimentary in the camera bags of serious shooters that either do still and video work, or as an affordable back up to the k-5
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 03/02/2012 - 02:15

K10D

Link Posted 03/02/2012 - 05:41
The prices should not affect one another.

The K5 and K-01 are two very different cameras, having only the sensor in common. It will be interesting to see how the K-01 IQ looks with it's new M imaging engine.

It just may turn out to be the defacto platform for the Ltd's?

Best regards

johnriley

Link Posted 03/02/2012 - 08:21
I've noticed a couple of comments about the sensor, bu Pentax did say that it was a new sensor.
Best regards, John

smc

Link Posted 03/02/2012 - 13:25
Don wrote:
the k-01 won't affect the value of the k-5... they are different animals, appeal to different shooters and in fact, the two would be complimentary in the camera bags of serious shooters that either do still and video work, or as an affordable back up to the k-5

The more I think about the K-01, the more it seems to the child of the Kr multi-colour veriants, where Pentax scored a big hit, especially in Japan. That may be where the "fashion and design" category came from. I hope it sells well.

K10D

Link Posted 03/02/2012 - 13:29
johnriley wrote:
I've noticed a couple of comments about the sensor, bu Pentax did say that it was a new sensor.

If so, then even more chance that the IQ may be better?

Best regards

wvbarnes

Link Posted 03/02/2012 - 13:47
Why would anyone owning a proper DSLR be concerned about any of these cameras that use the point and shoot method of use ie the LCD screen?

As someone who finally moved to DSLR two years ago from bridge cameras with (Minolta A200)and without electronic viewfinders (Canon G9 with slly optical one)I'm very bemused by it all. I am delighted to be back with a viewfinder and a proper camera in my now to be dumped by Ricoh it seems KR!

For example how the hell do you manually focus on say wildlife with a 300mm lens on one of these screen only things without looking plain daft?

Please Pentax don't abandon proper cameras!

petrochemist

Link Posted 03/02/2012 - 17:40
wvbarnes wrote:
Why would anyone owning a proper DSLR be concerned about any of these cameras that use the point and shoot method of use ie the LCD screen?

As someone who finally moved to DSLR two years ago from bridge cameras with (Minolta A200)and without electronic viewfinders (Canon G9 with slly optical one)I'm very bemused by it all. I am delighted to be back with a viewfinder and a proper camera in my now to be dumped by Ricoh it seems KR!

For example how the hell do you manually focus on say wildlife with a 300mm lens on one of these screen only things without looking plain daft?

Please Pentax don't abandon proper cameras!

It's all a case of horses for courses. I'd certainly prefer a optical view finder for most of my photography - but in some cases liveview is better.

It seems to me that the K-01 is intended as much as a video camera as a stills one.
Not ideal for me but I suspect my wife would prefer it to the K5!
I there's not been a single DSLR pentax have produced that hasn't dropped of one or more features from it's predessesor(s) that I'd like available. The K-01 adds some features not in the K5 that might well prove useful, if they are added to the K5's replacement I don't doubt pentax will remove another useful feature to make way.

The focus peaking sounds very interesting (and may answer the question on focusing the 300) but for me the DSLR still wins.
Mike
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].Flickr WPF Panoramio
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.