Will AdobeRGB (1998) influence other software?

niklas

Link Posted 06/07/2009 - 14:00
I am new to Pentax, new to dSLR.
Purchased my K20D a month ago.
Learning curve is not steep but endless.

I want to see if I get a better working habbit with better results out of running AdobeRGB in the settings of the camera.

I suppose, when printing, the printer is meant to use the same colour profile?
In my Canon printer it's called AdobeRGB (199.

1st Question: Is AdobeRGB(199 the same profile as the K20D AdobeRGB?

In properties of desktop on my Samsung Syncmaster 957 CRT screen, I have an option of finding a AdobeRGB(199 colour profile as well.
However, in my ATI graphic card Catalyst Control Center there is no such option as to choose colour profile.

2nd Question: Will it be enough to go through properties of the desktop in WinXP for choosing AdobeRGB(199 colour profile?

When choosing AdobeRGB(199 colour profile, I see no change on the screen.

3rd Question: Will it be without troublemaking visible effect on other software appearance and printing, constantly running both screen and printer in AdobeRGB (199 colour profile?

I appreciate any response enlightening me on this subject.

Niklas
15mm - 450mm equivalent, and still can't reach...

niklas

Link Posted 06/07/2009 - 14:11
And may I please add:

4th Question: Will photos made with AdobeRGB colour profile on K20D, in any way, be unpleasant to view on other PC's running sRGB or WinXP automatic colour profile choise?

Niklas

johnriley

Link Posted 06/07/2009 - 14:32
Whatever colour space you use, stick to the same one all the way through.

Bear in mind that images for the web will need to be sRGB.

I use sRGB for all my applications, from the camera through to print and web. This gives brighter prints, admittedly with a reduced colour gamut compared to Adobe RGB, but it's never proved to be a problem.

Adobe RGB has a wider colour gamut and may look desaturated on your computer screen. The printer will not be able to reproduce all the colours available.
Best regards, John

Anvh

Link Posted 06/07/2009 - 14:39
1) yes they are the same so far as I know
Don't know about the graphics card though, I believe they will just handle it and aren't bound to profiles to be honest but I can be wrong.

3) yes aRGB has a broader colour range so when comparing side to side you see a better graduation in colours.

4) Not if XP converts the colour it can't display to sRGB colours, I believe XP does but many browsers don't so for the web use sRGB only.

just a side note, RAW isn't effected by the colour profile you set the camera on, the jpg preview image pf the raw and jpg photos are.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 06/07/2009 - 14:39

ttk

Link Posted 06/07/2009 - 15:33
johnriley wrote:

Adobe RGB has a wider colour gamut and may look desaturated on your computer screen. The printer will not be able to reproduce all the colours available.

Some printer's can reproduce all the colours from Adobe 1998 now, Canon's, Epson's
Tel,
Last Edited by ttk on 06/07/2009 - 15:34

ttk

Link Posted 06/07/2009 - 15:46
Niklas read this topic>>https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/color-managment-enabling-within-software-5930/p-0#comm_49494 might help.
Tel,

MattMatic

Link Posted 06/07/2009 - 16:01
Ok, here are a few pointers that relate to your questions (and that goes against most of what has been said above ):

1) AdobeRGB is just that (don't worry about differences)

2) For your MONITOR you should NOT select AdobeRGB. You should have profiled your monitor using a hardware calibration device (like a Huey/Spyder etc). THIS should be the monitor's profile. (A very common mistake is to try and assign your working profile to the display, or worse still, calibrate and try and convert and save your images in the monitor's colour space - both big "no nos!")

3) If you are using AdobeRGB you MUST use a colour managed application. Windows has very inconsistent implementations of colour management. Some applications are totally CM'd (Photoshop, Silkypix, Capture One, Lightroom etc), some are partially CM'd (e.g. Firefox when enabled), and some are not CM'd at all (e.g. Windows viewers, Irfanview etc)

4) sRGB is a very narrow colour gamut - but copes with most "consumer" work. AdobeRGB is more suited to CMYK printing. (There are other colour spaces you can work in)

To explain further:
* You capture an image in a colour space (or convert from RAW into a particular colour space).

* You then edit in that colour space, and save the image within that space

* If you need to save a web-version you MUST convert from the working colour space to the sRGB colour space before saving as a JPG

* When printing you can
(a) let the printer driver handle the colour space mapping from whatever space you are using
(b) convert to sRGB or AdobeRGB before you print
(c) let Photoshop handle the mapping from the working colour space to the print colour space (and tell the driver to lay-off colour mapping!). This approach absolutely requires you to have a good ICC/ICM profile for the printer/paper/ink combination.

* While you are editing the image in a CM'd application it will dynamically remap from the working space to the display space - so you can see a "correct" view. Some high-end tools (like full Photoshop) have facilities for gamut-warnings that will display where you have colour clipping issues which could not possibly be shown on the display (since the display usually has a much lower gamut compared to the output)

To answer your questions:
Quote:

1st Question: Is AdobeRGB( 1998 ) the same profile as the K20D AdobeRGB?

Yes
Quote:

In properties of desktop on my Samsung Syncmaster 957 CRT screen, I have an option of finding a AdobeRGB(199 colour profile as well.
However, in my ATI graphic card Catalyst Control Center there is no such option as to choose colour profile.

Don't do that! You must use the profile for your display.

Quote:

2nd Question: Will it be enough to go through properties of the desktop in WinXP for choosing AdobeRGB( 1998 ) colour profile?

No. Don't do it.
Quote:

When choosing AdobeRGB(199 colour profile, I see no change on the screen.

You won't - it's not what the display profile is for (at least not like that)
Windows NEEDS a tool to actually make the profile work on the display (Mac OS X is so much more colour-friendly in this regard )
Quote:

3rd Question: Will it be without troublemaking visible effect on other software appearance and printing, constantly running both screen and printer in AdobeRGB (199 colour profile?

Big trouble if you tried to assign AdobeRGB to your screen profile. Photoshop would get VERY confused and you'll never get anything right

Hopefully my initial comments will shed enough light to explain my brief answers to your questions!

(To be honest, it's easier to explain face-to-face than write on a forum )
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Last Edited by MattMatic on 06/07/2009 - 16:05

niklas

Link Posted 06/07/2009 - 19:44
I thank every contributor in this thread.

Since using several PC's, using photos mostly for the web and not having ambitions on going professional, I will consider continue using sRGB instead.

Niklas

shim

Link Posted 06/07/2009 - 20:01
Well explained Matt.

shim
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.