Wide angle zoom (full frame) recommendations/comments please

DaveR
Posted 03/02/2008 - 11:01 Link
I’ve recently upgraded most of my lenses except for my wide angle zoom.
I currently have;
Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f2.8,
Sigma EX 70-200 f2.8 (and EX 1.4 & 2x teleconverters),
Pentax FA 50mm f1.4 and
Pentax FA 100mm 2.8 Macro.

All constant aperture lenses and they all seem pretty good so far and I’m happy with them.

My current wide angle zoom is a Tokina 19-35mm f3.5-4.5 which isn’t great.

I’m using an MZ-S (film body) that I’m happy with and do all my shooting with, usually in aperture priority or manual mode. I also have an ist D which I’ll use in the future which I got hold of after having it recommended to me on this forum (I do read/listen sometimes!) – I’m in no hurry to jump into digital.

I was after some thoughts on which full frame wide angle zoom I could replace the Tokina with.

I haven’t used any other wide angle zooms.
A constant aperture would nice but seems to be limited to the Sigma EX 20-40mm f2.8 which doesn’t seem real wide and doesn’t rate well in the comments/reviews that I’ve come across (there’s a new one listed on Ebay here in Australia at the moment).

The Tamron Di 17-35mm f2.8-4 seems to attract good comments but the ones I’ve read pertain to it’s use on non-full frame sensors. Any thoughts/comments on these or other lenses would be appreciated.

P.S. I mainly shoot landscape, nature and macro stuff with the odd wedding thrown in. I'm not in a hurry to get a wide angle zoom but I'd like to be able to keep my eyes out for one (it might also help to settle my LBA!)

Thanks,

Dave.
niblue
Posted 03/02/2008 - 12:21 Link
The Tokina ATX-Pro 20-35mm F2.8 is a very good lens if you can locate one new or used.
johnriley
Posted 03/02/2008 - 12:23 Link
SMC Pentax-FA 20-35mm f4 AL
Best regards, John
MattMatic
Posted 04/02/2008 - 09:43 Link
There was also the original Sigma 12-24mm full frame.
But it's big and heavy and cannot take filters (which may be a big downside).
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
DaveR
Posted 05/02/2008 - 06:37 Link
Thanks for the input. I wasn’t in a hurry for a lens but a new Tamron SP 17-35 2.8-4 came up on ebay last night at what I thought was a good price - $170 Canadian (Buy it now) from ‘prodigital2000’ in Stratford, Ontario, Canada. So I bought it. I’d had a bit of a look for the other ones recommended but not a lot around and much, much more expensive so I didn’t think I’d go wrong at that price.

Thanks again,

Dave.
Mac
Posted 05/02/2008 - 10:35 Link
Dave,

PRODIGITAL are good folks.

Good choice of seller.
Mac from Montreal

SP, SPII, SPF, PZ-10, P30, SFX, K110D, istDS, Optio 60, Z-10, H90, RZ10, I-10, f3.5 28mm, f1.8 55mm, f1.4 50mm, f3.5 135mm, f2.5 135mm, f4 50mm Macro, f4.5 80-200 F, f4 35-70, f3.5 28-80, f3.5 35-135, f3.5 18-55, f1.8 31mm Ltd., two Auto 110's, Auto 110 lenses and filters, tubes, bellows, Manfrottos and a sore back.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo