Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Wide Angle Lens advice

Jetsam1
Posted 23/02/2010 - 22:18 Link
Hello!

I've been considering whether I should go for a 28mm lens for my ME Super as I seem to like landscapes and am not sure whether the 50mm f2 lens I have will be an adequate stand in? Ideally I would be looking for a reasonable quality but inexpensive lens and wonder if anyone has some ideas of what to look out for?

I'm setting this camera up as a Black and White film camera as I think this would be a nice way of using it and it will be a general purpose usage.
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!
womble
Posted 23/02/2010 - 22:28 Link
There are plenty of Pentax-M 28mm f/2.8 lenses on the market and not too expensive. I used one on my ME Super for many years. The earlier K series 28mm f/3.5 is supposedly sharper but much harder to find. As you are using an ME Super you do not need an A series lens which sell at a premium as they are easier to use on modern digital cameras.

There are also many alternatives on the market. The Vivitar 28mm "close focus" lens by Komine (there are lots of different Viv 28s) is also an excellent choice, for example.

For a little more flexibility there is a M series 28-50mm zoom which I rather like too.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
iceblinker
Posted 23/02/2010 - 22:36 Link
~Pete
Jetsam1
Posted 24/02/2010 - 17:24 Link
How are Tokina lenses thought of? Seem to be rather too reasonable in price?
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!
Dangermouse
Posted 24/02/2010 - 17:56 Link
There's one of the Pentax-M 28mm f3.5 lenses on ebay at the moment for £44. I have one and it's a much sharper lens than the f2.8 version, so I'd pick it in preference to the faster lens.

The 50mm f2 is perfectly usable for landscapes (for many people this was the standard all-rounder lens), but the 28mm will naturally give you a wider field of view.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Edited by Dangermouse: 24/02/2010 - 18:01

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.