Why?

walkeja

Link Posted 18/04/2019 - 11:34
Do my portrait photos always come up as landscape on this website? They are stored on my computer and camera as portrait and are vivible on other websites as portrait.
An example.

Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
Last Edited by walkeja on 18/04/2019 - 11:34

Aitch53

Link Posted 18/04/2019 - 12:04
It DOES get rotated to the proper orientation if you click on it to view it full size.

As to why? No idea.
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.

johnriley

Link Posted 18/04/2019 - 12:42
We've discussed this one a few times and I think it's because some programs change the orientation for viewing without actually altering the original file. If you save it in Photoshop the right way up it will always be that.
Best regards, John

JAK

Link Posted 18/04/2019 - 12:55
Quote:
Why do my portrait photos always come up as landscape on this website?

A little investigation suggests the site isn't acting on the Rotate 90 instruction in the exif when images are incorporated into a thread. One for the site developers to investigate perhaps as they really ought to come out the right way up.

To avoid the issue, rotate the image in some other software which actually rotates the mage and resaves it with both correct orientation and exif data. But that is a workaround as technically the files are valid to show correctly as proved in the full size view which takes the orientation instruction into account.

Quote:
Make RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Model PENTAX K-1 Mark II
Orientation Rotate 90
Software PENTAX K-1 Mark II Ver. 1.02
Creator JOHN A WALKER
Copyright JOHN A WALKER
Exposure Time 0.0056s (1/180)
Aperture ƒ/5.6
Exposure aperture priority (semi-auto)
ISO equivalent 200
Exposure Bias none
Metering Mode Matrix
Flash Fired No (enforced)
Focal Length 80.0mm 80mm=35mm equivalent
Color Space sRGB
White Balance Auto
Focal Length (35mm) 80
Date 2018-09-04 16:47:54 (no TZ)

John K
Last Edited by JAK on 18/04/2019 - 13:19

johnriley

Link Posted 18/04/2019 - 13:57
I've passed the info on.
Best regards, John

rickhanson

Link Posted 18/04/2019 - 17:38
Hi,

The orientation of images primarily comes down to the device, platform, browser or software you are using based on the exif data as the Johns have rightly pointed out, for example if I view this image on Windows using Firefox the orientation is incorrect, if I use iPad & Safari it's fine, mobile devices having greater support for the exif record.

Ideally at the point of upload, our system would detect if there is an orientation record, rotate accordingly and remove the record. Unfortunately at the moment in time this isn't the case, so for the time being, it's a case of ensuring that the photo is the correctly orientated and not overridden by any exif record.

The fix is on the upgrades list, but I can't say when it will be completed.

Hope this helps,

Rick

walkeja

Link Posted 18/04/2019 - 18:35
johnriley wrote:
We've discussed this one a few times and I think it's because some programs change the orientation for viewing without actually altering the original file. If you save it in Photoshop the right way up it will always be that.

Refuse to use photoshop because in simple terms it is a cheat.
rickhanson wrote:
Hi,

The orientation of images primarily comes down to the device, platform, browser or software you are using based on the exif data as the Johns have rightly pointed out, for example if I view this image on Windows using Firefox the orientation is incorrect, if I use iPad & Safari it's fine, mobile devices having greater support for the exif record.

Ideally at the point of upload, our system would detect if there is an orientation record, rotate accordingly and remove the record. Unfortunately at the moment in time this isn't the case, so for the time being, it's a case of ensuring that the photo is the correctly orientated and not overridden by any exif record.

The fix is on the upgrades list, but I can't say when it will be completed.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Hope it comes soon.
Thanks everyone
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member

JAK

Link Posted 18/04/2019 - 19:16
Quote:
Refuse to use photoshop because in simple terms it is a cheat.

You don't have to use it that way (we've discussed that before.)

A suggestion, turn off the orientation in the camera then that rotate command won't be created. You'll also see the full image on the rear screen too. Then having got your image use windows explorer to rotate it. Also Irfanview is a handy program for manipulating an image's, size, orientation, adding borders etc.

At the end of the day, whatever is creating that rotate command, use something else. I know you don't like to manipulate your photos in software but using basic commands won't alter the colour, exposure and so on without you asking it to!
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 18/04/2019 - 19:20

womble

Link Posted 19/04/2019 - 07:48
The default image viewer in Windows 7 saves an image if you rotate it. I do this in preference to firing up Photoshop.

As to PS being a cheat, I loved staring at my negs on a light box as printing them would be cheating...
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

JAK

Link Posted 19/04/2019 - 11:27
womble wrote:
As to PS being a cheat, I loved staring at my negs on a light box as printing them would be cheating...

A light box? Far too high tech. Hold the negs up against the sky to view them!
John K
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.