Whitby Abbey
Posted 06/04/2010 - 21:43
Link
The first one has nice light on the stonework and the verticals are all vertical. I am less sure about the framing though and would be tempted to try a square crop just including the two windows. Either make the photograph very symmetrical, or very asymetrical.
The second one doesn't work for me I am afraid. The light is flat in this one (not much you could do about that I suppose) but you could fix the badly sloping horizon and the slight converging verticals caused by tilting the camera up.
With converging verticals either try to eliminate them or have very strong ones for effect. I am probably getting a reputation for moaning about converging verticals so you should probably ignore me, but I do feel they are a good way of spoiling a nice photograph!
Best wishes, Kris.
The second one doesn't work for me I am afraid. The light is flat in this one (not much you could do about that I suppose) but you could fix the badly sloping horizon and the slight converging verticals caused by tilting the camera up.
With converging verticals either try to eliminate them or have very strong ones for effect. I am probably getting a reputation for moaning about converging verticals so you should probably ignore me, but I do feel they are a good way of spoiling a nice photograph!
Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 06/04/2010 - 21:53
Link
The first one I find different and powerful. I like it. Well done in seeing something unusual in terms of composition.
The second one is leaning very heavily and needs something more to make it a great image. There's a more powerful shot from the other side of the pond, including some reflection in the water. This one is a bit drab for me.
The second one is leaning very heavily and needs something more to make it a great image. There's a more powerful shot from the other side of the pond, including some reflection in the water. This one is a bit drab for me.
Best regards, John
Posted 06/04/2010 - 22:27
Link
I like the composition of the 1st, is it me though or does it look slightly out of focus - particularly the centre column?
I agree with previous comments on the 2nd, doesn't quite work for me
Simon
I agree with previous comments on the 2nd, doesn't quite work for me
Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
Posted 07/04/2010 - 00:03
Link
Another vote for the first one,
I like the effect of the sun lighting the walls and the moody sky behind, and I quite like the composition. I do agree with simonkit the front pillar looks a bit out of focus.
The Second pic as Womble and John have already mentioned doesn't work for me.
Regards
PaulM
I like the effect of the sun lighting the walls and the moody sky behind, and I quite like the composition. I do agree with simonkit the front pillar looks a bit out of focus.
The Second pic as Womble and John have already mentioned doesn't work for me.
Regards
PaulM
All cameras are equal but.....
Some are more equal than others
Some are more equal than others
Posted 07/04/2010 - 10:28
Link
Also a vote for number 1 - altough it looks a little soft. As womble said, perhaps a Square crop would work well?
K10D, DA* 16-50, FA 50mm f1.4, Lensbaby, Tamron 70-300, Sigma 135-400, Cosina 100mm Macro. Aim: An ultra wide lens in 2010!
Posted 07/04/2010 - 19:08
Link
thanks for everyones constructive thoughts ,i wish i could have had more time (i was with the missus and a few relatives), would like to go back on my own sometime. ive just had a look at the first image (raw capture)and it looks much sharper before i uploaded to photobucket and then to the forum. does photobucket alter the image in any way or is it just me seeing things ?
regards, tim.
regards, tim.
Posted 07/04/2010 - 20:44
Link
Far better to resize before you upload than let the website do it for you.
Best regards, John
Posted 08/04/2010 - 10:20
Link
Tim,
To my eyes there is a distinct difference in sharpness between the first and second shots, so it may not all be due to the resizing that happens on upload?
To my eyes there is a distinct difference in sharpness between the first and second shots, so it may not all be due to the resizing that happens on upload?
Posted 08/04/2010 - 20:48
Link
Hmmmm, I kind of like the potential in the second one.
I gave it my 5 minute work over. Hope you don't mind, if so I'll remove it immediately.
I took care of the verticals and gave it a more brooding atmosphere by converting it to a semi-toned B&W. I was surprised about the amount of detail I could pull out of the sky, with this low res. jpeg.

I gave it my 5 minute work over. Hope you don't mind, if so I'll remove it immediately.
I took care of the verticals and gave it a more brooding atmosphere by converting it to a semi-toned B&W. I was surprised about the amount of detail I could pull out of the sky, with this low res. jpeg.

Posted 09/04/2010 - 08:20
Link
i like it , thanks malo, tim.
Posted 09/04/2010 - 20:35
Link
Martin has breathed new life into that second picture with a B&W approach, and made it work a treat. I really like what the B&W tones have done, instead of my eye being lost and distracted in the lacklustre colours my eyes are now focused more on the form of the abbey and its relationship with its counterpart on the right side.
And those birds?! Those birds have certainly been alarmed it looks like, providing great drama which also works well in B&W. Definatly one for the wall, methinks.
And those birds?! Those birds have certainly been alarmed it looks like, providing great drama which also works well in B&W. Definatly one for the wall, methinks.
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


259 posts
17 years
Blackburn Lancashire
[IMG]http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr203/timritaharry/whitbycopy-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr203/timritaharry/IMGP2682_edited-1.jpg[/IMG]