Which Tripod Ball Head?
Posted 28/09/2009 - 21:26
Link
Any help or advice re tripod ball heads would be appreciated?
Posted 28/09/2009 - 22:21
Link
Having owned several heads and evaluating many others, I've finally settled on a Giottos MH1301-652C Series 2 ball head and have been very pleased with it. Take a look at the video at the bottom of the page. link
Another make of heads that are really very nice are the Feisol range but they are more expensive. link
Another make of heads that are really very nice are the Feisol range but they are more expensive. link
Posted 28/09/2009 - 23:12
Link
simonarthurs wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade from my manfrotto pan and tilt to a ball head
I've got a 190xprob series tripod, I use a K10D with battery grip and sigma 10-20, sigma macro 70 and tamron 70-300 lenses..... I shoot landscape and macro and use the quick release plate to shoot hand held from time to time.
Does anyone have any views on the Manfrotto 468MGRC4 Hydrostatic Ball head with RC4 or the Manfrotto 468MGRC5 Hydrostatic Ball Head or the Manfrotto 468MGRC3 Hydrostatic Ball Head
What about any other brands?
any comments would be appreciated.
You don't mention a budget, although if you're looking at the ones you linked to then it's quite big! I'm looking to upgrade from my manfrotto pan and tilt to a ball head
I've got a 190xprob series tripod, I use a K10D with battery grip and sigma 10-20, sigma macro 70 and tamron 70-300 lenses..... I shoot landscape and macro and use the quick release plate to shoot hand held from time to time.
Does anyone have any views on the Manfrotto 468MGRC4 Hydrostatic Ball head with RC4 or the Manfrotto 468MGRC5 Hydrostatic Ball Head or the Manfrotto 468MGRC3 Hydrostatic Ball Head
What about any other brands?
any comments would be appreciated.
However, I'll throw you a curve ball, I have one of these;
link
I purchased it after buying one of their excellent tripods, and I think it's superb for the cash. It will easily hold the kit you list, with spare capacity. Check out some reviews via Google/other photo sites, and see what they say...
The Manfrotto stuff is lovely though.
Posted 28/09/2009 - 23:51
Link
I use a Slik AF2100.
It was £50 when I bought it (nearly double that now, but I bet it's still worth every penny), some 20 years ago, and it's just as good as it ever was. It's never off the tripod, except when it's on the monopod.
It's fab - convenient, and strong - it'll support the tripod (collapsed) held horizontal without the ball slipping.
It also has a very convenient quick release plate:
[IMG]http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/chris5gd/Technical/IMGP9502-smsh.jpg[/IMG]
You unlock 'B', press the button 'A', unlatch and rotate - and the camera comes straight off. Reverse to lock.
You do have to make sure it's latched though. I didn't, once, but fortunately caught the camera as it fell. Never made that mistake again.
It was £50 when I bought it (nearly double that now, but I bet it's still worth every penny), some 20 years ago, and it's just as good as it ever was. It's never off the tripod, except when it's on the monopod.
It's fab - convenient, and strong - it'll support the tripod (collapsed) held horizontal without the ball slipping.
It also has a very convenient quick release plate:
[IMG]http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/chris5gd/Technical/IMGP9502-smsh.jpg[/IMG]
You unlock 'B', press the button 'A', unlatch and rotate - and the camera comes straight off. Reverse to lock.
You do have to make sure it's latched though. I didn't, once, but fortunately caught the camera as it fell. Never made that mistake again.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Posted 29/09/2009 - 09:14
Link
ChrisA wrote:
I use a Slik AF2100.
It was £50 when I bought it (nearly double that now, but I bet it's still worth every penny), some 20 years ago, and it's just as good as it ever was. It's never off the tripod, except when it's on the monopod.
It's fab - convenient, and strong - it'll support the tripod (collapsed) held horizontal without the ball slipping.
It also has a very convenient quick release plate:
You unlock 'B', press the button 'A', unlatch and rotate - and the camera comes straight off. Reverse to lock.
You do have to make sure it's latched though. I didn't, once, but fortunately caught the camera as it fell. Never made that mistake again.
I have one of these, and it is indeed a fine piece of kit! I use a Slik AF2100.
It was £50 when I bought it (nearly double that now, but I bet it's still worth every penny), some 20 years ago, and it's just as good as it ever was. It's never off the tripod, except when it's on the monopod.
It's fab - convenient, and strong - it'll support the tripod (collapsed) held horizontal without the ball slipping.
It also has a very convenient quick release plate:
You unlock 'B', press the button 'A', unlatch and rotate - and the camera comes straight off. Reverse to lock.
You do have to make sure it's latched though. I didn't, once, but fortunately caught the camera as it fell. Never made that mistake again.
It would be perfect but for one annoying oversight in my view, and that is it only fits 1/4" threaded tripods/monopods. If only it could be adapted to fit 3/8" as well...
It always amazes me how well it grips even heavy kit wherever you release the trigger though!
Posted 29/09/2009 - 23:09
Link
Thanks
Lots of research to do
I've got a budget of about £200 max
Lots of research to do
I've got a budget of about £200 max
Posted 30/09/2009 - 01:04
Link
Another alternative to a Ball Head
When I was shopping for a ball head one of our local shops suggested that I try the Manfrotto 701RC2 Fluid Head. I was sold, it is as smooth as silk and spring loaded so that there is no danger of my long lenses suddenly tilting if I do not pay attention. I have removed the handle and can pan and tilt, holding the camera body, very smoothly with my long lenses attached.
Greg
When I was shopping for a ball head one of our local shops suggested that I try the Manfrotto 701RC2 Fluid Head. I was sold, it is as smooth as silk and spring loaded so that there is no danger of my long lenses suddenly tilting if I do not pay attention. I have removed the handle and can pan and tilt, holding the camera body, very smoothly with my long lenses attached.
Greg
Posted 01/10/2009 - 16:42
Link
Tooks wrote:
It would be perfect but for one annoying oversight in my view, and that is it only fits 1/4" threaded tripods/monopods. If only it could be adapted to fit 3/8" as well...
You can buy 1/4" to 3/8" adaptors. The last one I got, about 5 years ago, cost me 99p from a local camera shop.
It would be perfect but for one annoying oversight in my view, and that is it only fits 1/4" threaded tripods/monopods. If only it could be adapted to fit 3/8" as well...
Posted 01/10/2009 - 16:56
Link
I have been using a Manfrotto 322 RC2 Heavy Duty Grip Ball Head for 5 years, never had any issues.
Regards
Regards
Too far from a shore.
Posted 01/10/2009 - 16:58
Link
yelvertoft wrote:
If any one wants a thread adaptor I have 3 spare (don't ask why), free to a good home.Tooks wrote:
It would be perfect but for one annoying oversight in my view, and that is it only fits 1/4" threaded tripods/monopods. If only it could be adapted to fit 3/8" as well...
You can buy 1/4" to 3/8" adaptors. The last one I got, about 5 years ago, cost me 99p from a local camera shop.It would be perfect but for one annoying oversight in my view, and that is it only fits 1/4" threaded tripods/monopods. If only it could be adapted to fit 3/8" as well...
I have a Manfrotto ball head - excellent for smaller setups. Can't remember the model number.
Posted 01/10/2009 - 20:00
Link
yelvertoft wrote:
They sound like the female adaptors, that reduce a 3/8" hole to 1/4"?Tooks wrote:
It would be perfect but for one annoying oversight in my view, and that is it only fits 1/4" threaded tripods/monopods. If only it could be adapted to fit 3/8" as well...
You can buy 1/4" to 3/8" adaptors. The last one I got, about 5 years ago, cost me 99p from a local camera shop.It would be perfect but for one annoying oversight in my view, and that is it only fits 1/4" threaded tripods/monopods. If only it could be adapted to fit 3/8" as well...
I would need a male adaptor to turn the 3/8" screw to a 1/4" one on the tripod, more a sort of 'bush'.
Manfrotto do one I think, the MA120, but last time I looked it was out of stock.
I do have a tripod with a 1/4" screw, so it's not a big deal, I was more making the comment that it was a shame the Slik head above couldn't be adapted for the bigger screw tripods.
Posted 02/10/2009 - 11:38
Link
Yes, I was talking about hole reducers, I thought that was what you wanted. I have seen adaptors to go the other way - as you want - advertised, but never seen one in the flesh. I suspect somewhere like Calumet may be able to help.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


135 posts
17 years
Devon
I've got a 190xprob series tripod, I use a K10D with battery grip and sigma 10-20, sigma macro 70 and tamron 70-300 lenses..... I shoot landscape and macro and use the quick release plate to shoot hand held from time to time.
Does anyone have any views on the Manfrotto 468MGRC4 Hydrostatic Ball head with RC4 or the Manfrotto 468MGRC5 Hydrostatic Ball Head or the Manfrotto 468MGRC3 Hydrostatic Ball Head
What about any other brands?
any comments would be appreciated.