Which one should I keep?

fourfivesix

Link Posted 26/02/2012 - 10:50
I am building up a nice set of MF prime lenses at the minute and have ended up with two 28mm ones. A Tamron adaptall 2 28mm 2.5 and a Pentax M 28mm 2.8. Is it worth keeping them both? I cant make my mind up
flickr
link
Last Edited by fourfivesix on 26/02/2012 - 10:51

fritzthedog

Link Posted 26/02/2012 - 11:06
Which one should you keep? Well the one you prefer would be my advice

Is it worth keeping them both? probably not but when has that ever stopped us owning lenses

Glad I helped you clear that one up

Sorry couldn't resist - to me the M is the better lens -but you don't mention your view on either of them.

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

George Lazarette

Link Posted 26/02/2012 - 11:17
There is not a strong argument for keeping both. All else being equal, I should keep the Pentax. It will be consistent in terms of appearance, handling, and (most importantly) colour, with your other Pentax lenses.

However, the M is not a notably sharp lens, and if the Tamron is discernibly sharper, you might choose to keep it instead.

Time for some testing, methinks.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

walkeja

Link Posted 26/02/2012 - 11:18
To me it is obvious, the Pentax!
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member

George Lazarette

Link Posted 26/02/2012 - 11:32
It may be obvious to you, Walkeja, but it's not obvious to the OP. If it had been obvious, he would not have asked the question.

So your answer is not very helpful.

WHY do you think the Pentax is the better lens to keep?

G

fourfivesix

Link Posted 26/02/2012 - 11:47
I think I need to do what george suggested and test them both first
flickr
link

johnha

Link Posted 26/02/2012 - 12:47
For me it depends how important using the Tamron on another system would be, or which mount(s) you have for it. For a DSLR a 'KA' mount is preferable but I also have the 'KM' mount which repeats the aperture scale in the right place to show up in the finder of an MX/LX.

The Pentax will focus the same way as the other Pentax's (the Tamron probably goes the other way).

Depends also on the value you can get for them, I've sold a lot of gear in the past and often paid substaintially more to buy another one back.

I'd prefer the Pentax on Pentax camera, but then my M 28/2.8 focus ring jammed yesterday...
PPG Flickr

womble

Link Posted 26/02/2012 - 17:33
Do you need the money? Or the space? I have half a dozen different 28mm lenses and I don't intend to get rid of any of them.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

George Lazarette

Link Posted 26/02/2012 - 20:15
womble wrote:
Do you need the money? Or the space? I have half a dozen different 28mm lenses and I don't intend to get rid of any of them.

K.

Some people have wives.

G

Opethian

Link Posted 26/02/2012 - 21:56
How about I keep it then? The Pentax I mean.

Twitter | Someone said time-lapse?
Pentax K5 | Samsung N9005 | DA 18-55 WR | DA 35 2.4 | DA 50 1.8
Tamron 10-24 SP | Tamron 90 2.8 Macro | Tamron 70-300 Macro
Samyang 85 1.4 ...and a few other manual lenses older than me.

rparmar

Link Posted 27/02/2012 - 00:40
Sell them both and get one of the Vivitar Close Focus varieties.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.

womble

Link Posted 27/02/2012 - 12:52
rparmar wrote:

I have one of those but prefer my K28/3.5.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

George Lazarette

Link Posted 27/02/2012 - 13:39
womble wrote:
rparmar wrote:

K.

Who wouldn't? It's probably Pentax's best 35mm. But almost as rare as hen's teeth.

G

greynolds999

Link Posted 27/02/2012 - 13:58
George Lazarette wrote:
womble wrote:
Quote:

K.

Who wouldn't? It's probably Pentax's best 35mm. But almost as rare as hen's teeth.

G

I think you will find that it is hens' teeth.
My Photobucket

womble

Link Posted 27/02/2012 - 19:47
I thought some of the f/2 versions were supposed to be better still? Still, they are even rarer and more expensive. I paid enough for the f/3.5 version!

K.
Kris Lockyear

My website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.