Which lens next?
Posted 27/10/2010 - 05:46
Link
Think about getting yourself something at a more extreme ends of the focal lengths.
For example I find my Pentax 10-17mm fish eye zoom is the most fun lens I have ever bought.
For example I find my Pentax 10-17mm fish eye zoom is the most fun lens I have ever bought.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 27/10/2010 - 10:41
Link
Or a dedicated macro as you seem to be interested in macro.
Pentax K10D + Vivitar 55/2.8 macro + Super Takumar 55/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 85/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 135/3.5 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 200/4 + Super Takumar 300/4
Pentax K100D + DA18-55ALII + DA55-300
Pentax K5 + FA31Ltd + M50/1.7 + DFA100WR + M120/2.8 (+ DA18-55WR at occasion)
Pentax K100D + DA18-55ALII + DA55-300
Pentax K5 + FA31Ltd + M50/1.7 + DFA100WR + M120/2.8 (+ DA18-55WR at occasion)
Posted 27/10/2010 - 11:54
Link
You could replace the kit lens and 28-80 with a Pentax DA 17-70 f/4, that would be a great walk around lens.
Or maybe a nice little prime lens?
DA35mm limited macro just to say something
Or maybe a nice little prime lens?
DA35mm limited macro just to say something
Posted 27/10/2010 - 12:16
Link
chattphotos wrote:
... what lenses would you recommend adding to the collection? (lenses that cost less than $300)
I like to shoot anything- landscapes, people, trees, flowers, leaves, macro, fall colors, cats, dogs, dancing, sailboats, nighttime/moon, and planes/helicopters.
Holy Fotos there, Batman! Considering that your inclinations cover just about every genre of photography imaginable, then I suggest you go out and buy one of each lens on the market, you'll need them. ... what lenses would you recommend adding to the collection? (lenses that cost less than $300)
I like to shoot anything- landscapes, people, trees, flowers, leaves, macro, fall colors, cats, dogs, dancing, sailboats, nighttime/moon, and planes/helicopters.
You might not get much change out of that 300 dollars, but inflation has tending to creep in over the years.
Would you be prepared to narrow it to say; what field your heart and desires mostly lie?
Then perhaps some constructive, practical suggestions toward the point can forthcome.
Also what '$' do you mean? Many countries use that base unit (in name only) for their tender. That can be critical to fitting target budgets with respect to inclusion of total acquisition costs.
.R.
Posted 27/10/2010 - 12:37
Link
If you're looking for a "wow" factor then the best option for you is a Sigma 10-20. It'll bring a whole new perspective to your photography, not just for "getting it all in" as Ken Rockwell puts it but for showing your subject within a greater view of its surroundings. It is, however, likely to be more than your $300 budget.
PS: If you're interested in the 10-20 get the old one (f4-5.6). It's cheaper and better than the new one (f3.5).
PS: If you're interested in the 10-20 get the old one (f4-5.6). It's cheaper and better than the new one (f3.5).
Posted 27/10/2010 - 13:46
Link
I'd buy either a used Pentax 12-24 or the Sigma 10-20(both rectilinear lenses), followed later by a Pentax 55-300 for the longer 'reach'.
I'm saving up for the 55-300 myself.
I'm saving up for the 55-300 myself.
El Dingo - K3-II and K10D
Posted 27/10/2010 - 14:09
Link
Quote:
I'd buy either a used Pentax 12-24 or the Sigma 10-20(both rectilinear lenses), followed later by a Pentax 55-300 for the longer 'reach'.
I'm saving up for the 55-300 myself. El Dingo
Just in case it is of any interest and you have not spotted it - our friends at SRS are offering the 55-300 for an amazing £219 and free delivery to forum members - took delivery of mine yesterday and desperate to try it out!
I'd buy either a used Pentax 12-24 or the Sigma 10-20(both rectilinear lenses), followed later by a Pentax 55-300 for the longer 'reach'.
I'm saving up for the 55-300 myself. El Dingo
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Posted 27/10/2010 - 14:43
Link
fritzthedog wrote:
under £200 here...Quote:
I'd buy either a used Pentax 12-24 or the Sigma 10-20(both rectilinear lenses), followed later by a Pentax 55-300 for the longer 'reach'.
I'm saving up for the 55-300 myself. El Dingo
Just in case it is of any interest and you have not spotted it - our friends at SRS are offering the 55-300 for an amazing £219 and free delivery to forum members - took delivery of mine yesterday and desperate to try it out!I'd buy either a used Pentax 12-24 or the Sigma 10-20(both rectilinear lenses), followed later by a Pentax 55-300 for the longer 'reach'.
I'm saving up for the 55-300 myself. El Dingo
http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-pentax-55-300mm-f4-5-8-smc-da-l-ed-lens.htm
Howard
Body: K7 of course !!
Lenses: DA18-55WR,DA50-200WR,FA50-1.4
Lenses: DA18-55WR,DA50-200WR,FA50-1.4
Posted 27/10/2010 - 14:48
Link
hkwiles wrote:
under £200 here...
http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-pentax-55-300mm-f4-5-8-smc-da-l-ed-lens.htm
Howard
Not the same lens under £200 here...
http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-pentax-55-300mm-f4-5-8-smc-da-l-ed-lens.htm
Howard
DA (srs) vs DAL (bristolcameras)
Posted 27/10/2010 - 15:13
Link
Quote:
under £200 here...
http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-pentax-55-300mm-f4-5-8-smc-da-l-ed-lens.htm
Howard
As Stefan says - that's the DA L (plastic mount and no lens hood included) and is also being offered by Camera World and a couple of others at £189 - they are all kit lenses unboxed. I know because I checked them all out before buying from SRS under £200 here...
http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-pentax-55-300mm-f4-5-8-smc-da-l-ed-lens.htm
Howard
Having said that - £189 for a DA (L) is a very good price - but personally I did not want the plastic mount and would have had to buy a hood - so by the time you add postage costs and the price of a hood.....
Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Posted 27/10/2010 - 15:40
Link
fritzthedog wrote:
Having said that - £189 for a DA (L) is a very good price - but personally I did not want the plastic mount and would have had to buy a hood - so by the time you add postage costs and the price of a hood.....
thanks Stefan....shows what I know
Howard
Carl
Quote:
under £200 here...
http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-pentax-55-300mm-f4-5-8-smc-da-l-ed-lens.htm
Howard
As Stefan says - that's the DA L (plastic mount and no lens hood included) and is also being offered by Camera World and a couple of others at £189 - they are all kit lenses unboxed. I know because I checked them all out before buying from SRS under £200 here...
http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-pentax-55-300mm-f4-5-8-smc-da-l-ed-lens.htm
Howard
Having said that - £189 for a DA (L) is a very good price - but personally I did not want the plastic mount and would have had to buy a hood - so by the time you add postage costs and the price of a hood.....
thanks Stefan....shows what I know
Howard
Carl
Body: K7 of course !!
Lenses: DA18-55WR,DA50-200WR,FA50-1.4
Lenses: DA18-55WR,DA50-200WR,FA50-1.4
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



9 posts
16 years
18-55mm Kit (came with the K100)
50-200mm Zoom (one really awesome lens)
28-80mm Tamron (perfect for wedding parties)
My K100D is aimed for retirement/backup camera in the very near future, however, what lenses would you recommend adding to the collection? (lenses that cost less than $300)
What would be a good replacement for the Tamron? I like it, but I don't use it unless absolutely necessary, plus, its clunky with a crappy min. focus distance of 3.4 feet.
I like to shoot anything- landscapes, people, trees, flowers, leaves, macro, fall colors, cats, dogs, dancing, sailboats, nighttime/moon, and planes/helicopters.