which lens.

MarkTaylor
Posted 25/07/2011 - 13:47 Link
thoramay wrote:
...I certainly did not warrant the following irrrelevant comments...
The comments were intended to be light hearted and not intended to offend. I apologise if they did not come accross that way. In general I find people pretty friendly on these forums and a bit of banter often arises but is rarely intended in a mean-spirited way.
My Flickr • Pentax K-5 • K-5 II • Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM • Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL • SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM • SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED • SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR • Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF • Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2
Edited by MarkTaylor: 25/07/2011 - 13:48
Don
Posted 25/07/2011 - 14:08 Link
Whichever kit you do bring.... a single body and 18-250 for eg... just do yourself the following favour... get a hip pack, and keep your camera on you at all times. if the hip pack is not around your waist, then it should be in your day bag/backpack... but always be wearing it, and that will reduce the chances of it going missing..
they do make wire mesh security bags you can lock valuables up in, but I've never felt the need to go that far.

get in the habit of pulling your camera out, taking your shot and put it right back in the hip pack, and keep your zippers zipped...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Edited by Don: 25/07/2011 - 14:09
MarkTaylor
Posted 25/07/2011 - 14:17 Link
thoramay wrote:
Thanks for that asssurance. I am naturally a nervous kind of person.
I have no experience of the USA or anyone close who has, so! kinda cautious. Knowing what to expect is preliminary to being cautious, I guess.
The cruise is with Southern evangelical christians. Kinda safe territory there. It's the two days either side which is heavily tourist territory with Disney Park close by. This does attract the criminal element.
I have a number of wide angle lens. I was anticipating not changing lens so the 18-210 would fit that need.

Thanks for the advice.
I could be wrong but from what you say it sounds like this is a group tour? If so the best possible protection is to stay with other members of the group at all times. Criminals have no qualms about targeting those who look like easier targets if they are on their own, but they will think twice and generally steer well clear if you're in a group.
My Flickr • Pentax K-5 • K-5 II • Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM • Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL • SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM • SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED • SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR • Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF • Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2
thoramay
Posted 25/07/2011 - 14:17 Link
Mark. It did not affend, but, so often the banter leads the thread in a new direction negating the question posed.
I drive those around me to distraction through literally thinking my way through a situation
I AM nervous of stopping for a couple of days in the area before sailing but it is what my other half wants but does not do photography.
My equipment is covered under my house insurance for world wide, but...getting the cost refunded is no reassurance if you are left with a cruise and no camera.
Hence my question. I had hoped that there was available a more compact zoom than the 28-250. I am just hoping that the 28-270 comes out in Pentax fit before I go which is in Feb next year.
Thanks for your imput. I know you well enough not to even think you could be mean spirited.
Don
Posted 25/07/2011 - 14:24 Link
thoramay wrote:
Mark. It did not affend, but, so often the banter leads the thread in a new direction negating the question posed.
I drive those around me to distraction through literally thinking my way through a situation
I AM nervous of stopping for a couple of days in the area before sailing but it is what my other half wants but does not do photography.
My equipment is covered under my house insurance for world wide, but...getting the cost refunded is no reassurance if you are left with a cruise and no camera.
Hence my question. I had hoped that there was available a more compact zoom than the 28-250. I am just hoping that the 28-270 comes out in Pentax fit before I go which is in Feb next year.
Thanks for your imput. I know you well enough not to even think you could be mean spirited.
18-250?
anyways it almost sounds like you'd be happier grabbing the x90...link ... for this job.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
vrapan
Posted 25/07/2011 - 14:25 Link
Do you believe you will really need so much reach? You have the K-5 which provides excellent IQ so could you not say get something shorter and then if you need to make a tighter crop of your subject do exactly that in PP?

I am quite fit but small and find it a huge problem having to carry about massive zooms. As I said before a panckae for the normal stuff and a small medium telephoto or even prime and you are sorted!
thoramay
Posted 25/07/2011 - 15:56 Link
One of the islands we will be visiting has a wildlife park. The 250 plus the F1.7 converter should do the trick.
In my sleepy area of the UK I only need a neck strap so have no knowledge of a waist bag. It would fit the bill if it carried the K5 and the 280 plus the 17-28 fisheye and another wide angle, maybe the 40mm 2.8.
Not sure I want to buy another digital to add to the four I now have. Maybe the 18-270 Tamron in the pentax fit will emerge before I travel.
All comments have been helpful Thanks

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo