which is a good polarising filter?

Lancer3397
Posted 22/09/2013 - 11:46 Link
Needing to get a circular polarising filter. Note I didn't say 'which is the best' in scratchy whiny voice. I'll have to work my way up to the premium stuff later. I'm after a reasonable filter that does the job, isn't cheap rubbish that breaks or scratches but also, I'm not paying a premium over the top.

I'm staggered at the range available and the range of prices. everything from £10 to £130.

makes range from

hoya
vivitar
heliopan
sigma
xit
fujiyama
green
kood
inov8
kenko

etc

I can't spring £100+ for a filter, but then I suppose the age old adage, you get what you pay for. are there any makes of filter I should just not consider? and conversely, which ones are worth the dollars?
Pentax K3, DA 18-55 WR, Sigma 50-500 EX DG HSM, Pentax M-50, a bucket load of SD cards, some lights and a lightbox
Edited by Lancer3397: 22/09/2013 - 11:48
JonSchick
Posted 22/09/2013 - 12:26 Link
Marumi make excellent polarisers at a decent price - there is a comparative text at Lenstip worth reading.
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link
redbusa99
Posted 22/09/2013 - 14:08 Link
+1 Marumi
odd lens or 2

Flickr
hebridean
Posted 22/09/2013 - 19:34 Link
Another vote for Marumi. Try fotosense or amazon for the best prices.
davidstorm
Posted 22/09/2013 - 19:47 Link
Hoya Pro1 are excellent polarisers. They can be a little more pricey, but I paid £25 for a 67mm and £45 for a 77mm from ebay; you have to hunt around a bit to get the best prices. Both were new sealed box units and well worth the money. Another bonus with the Pro1 series is that they are extremely thin so they reduce the risk of vignetting.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
fritzthedog
Posted 22/09/2013 - 21:26 Link
Kenko pro 1 are made by hoya and are the exact same filter as hoya pro 1 and usually cheaper

More than with any other filter due to their complexity - you largely get what you pay for

You list several I have not heard of but I would recommend you avoid Vivitar which are useless

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Gamka
Posted 22/09/2013 - 22:25 Link
Be careful on ebay - there are fake filters there at cheap prices.
gartmore
Posted 23/09/2013 - 06:58 Link
Another vote for Hoya Pro 1
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
LongTimeLurker
Posted 23/09/2013 - 22:46 Link
I have a Hoya HD CPL and it does live up to the claim of being easy to clean without scratching.

The HD series of CPL filters cost just a few pounds more than the Pro 1 series. For example, a 62mm Pro 1 is around £40 and the HD equivalent is £49.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.
Posted 24/09/2013 - 11:48 Link
Another vote for Marumi
You will only prise my 43Ltd from my cold, dead hands...

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo