Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Which image editing program works the best

gartmore
Posted 03/12/2009 - 07:56 Link
If cropping, sharpening, adjusting contrast and so on is what you want the Elements 8 will do all that and a great deal more. Currently £49 at Costco. Far better for mono conversions than previous versions too.

I've only had it a few days so haven't fully explored it yet.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Dr. Mhuni
Posted 03/12/2009 - 08:12 Link
Can you do full Curves adjustments in the new Elements?

In mine you can't select your own points - there are three set points around which adjustments are made.
Mhuni

500px
gartmore
Posted 03/12/2009 - 08:58 Link
You work from pre-sets and adjust from there, how close that comes to 'full' I dont know. Have a look here: link
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
johnriley
Posted 03/12/2009 - 09:02 Link
The one thing that used to be missing from Photoshop Elements that I used to use routinely was Channel Mixer. Is that is version 8?

When I referred to 99% of what you need I was only making the point that it isn't a full version of photoshop. Some professionals will need the full thing, as will businesses involved in publishing, but amateur photographers don't use many of the features as they have no purpose in general photography.
Best regards, John
Unlocker
Posted 03/12/2009 - 09:38 Link
Dr. Mhuni wrote:
I did use Corel Paint Shop Pro X2, and was very happy with it (you get a lot for your money - mine only cost about £20 from Amazon) until it stopped working on both the laptops I have access to. Have yet to work out what happened, but I have an inkling it had something to do with my introduction of a Kaspersky antivirus software, which I think perhaps removed what it considered were some suspicious files that were essential for PSP to work. Have tried reinstalling since but - if this is the problem - Kaspersky rejects the files all over and I don't know how to stop this.

Since then I've been working with an older version of PSE (6) which came free with a Wacom tablet. I quite like it (certainly quicker than PSP X2) though I do miss some stuff in PSP - notably the Curves adjustment. I'm thinking, however, that perhaps the latest PSE would cover all my needs.

The joys of anti-virus software eh?!

Try this:-

- Disconnect the internet from your laptop
- Uninstall or disable antivirus completely
- Re-install PSP
- Check it works
- Re-install antivirus and set the whole PSP folder as an 'exception'
- Should be fine then.

Have had similar problems in the past with Windows machines and is one of the main reasons why I try to avoid them like the plague!

Even after doing this on a couple of my work laptops, I was finding that the anti-virus software would still ignore what I told it to do, so I tried another, and another, and another......

Eventually after trying over 10x Antivirus programs I came to the conclusion that even when told that the essential programs I use for work are safe, it would STILL delete them. The only solution was no antivirus at all, then all my work stuff works!

This is one of the reasons that instead of only having one machine to do what I do, which normally would be perfectly fine, I have 3 running all the time, that way if one goes down, I just move to the next so I can still earn money.

Of course, YMMV, but I hope this helps!

PS, back to the original post, Aperture on the Mac is the only program I use at the moment, we have CS3, but I have never got round to using it yet!
jchis1
Posted 03/12/2009 - 09:46 Link
Dr. Mhuni wrote:
I have an inkling it had something to do with my introduction of a Kaspersky antivirus software, which I think perhaps removed what it considered were some suspicious files that were essential for PSP to work. Have tried reinstalling since but - if this is the problem - Kaspersky rejects the files all over and I don't know how to stop this.

Hi Dr Mhuni - I got PSP X2 as a birthday present with my K20d - worked a treat and then I loaded Norton and it failed to boot up. After lots of hair-tearing a friend suggested THE FREE antivirus software AVG Free - loaded it, no conflict with PSP X2, excellent antivirus in my opinion.

At least this means you can still use PSP!

Jon
gartmore
Posted 03/12/2009 - 10:13 Link
johnriley wrote:
The one thing that used to be missing from Photoshop Elements that I used to use routinely was Channel Mixer. Is that is version 8?

When I referred to 99% of what you need I was only making the point that it isn't a full version of photoshop. Some professionals will need the full thing, as will businesses involved in publishing, but amateur photographers don't use many of the features as they have no purpose in general photography.

No channel mixer but I believe you can get a 3rd party plug-in.
Ken
mattox
Posted 03/12/2009 - 18:03 Link
I appreciate all the very very useful feedback. God the forum is good. Any problems, us pentaxian's can resolve it. I think I might try dowloading this raw converter to my current CS version and see how I go, otherwise elements sounds like it could be a great choice for my needs (especially my budget). Only thing is, elements, does it accept raw files?
johnriley
Posted 03/12/2009 - 18:06 Link
Yes, Elements accepts RAW files.
Best regards, John
mattox
Posted 03/12/2009 - 18:11 Link
Thanks John, you are always of great help. I really appreciate it
pink
Posted 03/12/2009 - 18:58 Link
Raw converter why not try Bibble pro 5 here is the link and it free for 14 day and has video Tutorial, I think it great and it has noise ninja latest version

link

James
My Fluidr

"To see in colour is a delight for the eye, But to see in black and white is a delight for the soul" ANDRI HERY
Edited by pink: 03/12/2009 - 18:59
Posted 04/12/2009 - 00:15 Link
mattox wrote:
Hi guys, not entirely pentax related, i am sorry, however, I wish to update my old photoshop CS 2003 version that I have, that doesn't accept raw files. Are the opinions out there quite strong to go for CS4 or are there others like lightroom, etc, that'll do the job just as good.

just to add my 2d worth....

I use silkypix DS Pro for RAW conversions, cropping, CA removal, curves, cloning out dust spots etc, capture sharpening and noise reduction, the usual exposure and contrast adjustments, USM available for output sharpening, it's batch processing capable and able to add watermarks, copyright or frames with a little effort.

for quick and dirty work faststone is very usable (free / donation)

I have used irfanview for slideshows so far (free / donation)

I use photools imatch as a DAM tool

and if I need layers, which I try to avoid like the plague then I have a copy of photoshop elements v6 available, but I think my old copy of elements v2 would do the job too.

oh, nearly forgot, there's always the copy of pentax photo lab which came with the pentax camera for converting raw files (free)
Edited by bladerunneruk: 04/12/2009 - 00:17
Dr. Mhuni
Posted 04/12/2009 - 01:39 Link
Unlocker wrote:

The joys of anti-virus software eh?!

Try this:-

- Disconnect the internet from your laptop
- Uninstall or disable antivirus completely
- Re-install PSP
- Check it works
- Re-install antivirus and set the whole PSP folder as an 'exception'
- Should be fine then.

Have had similar problems in the past with Windows machines and is one of the main reasons why I try to avoid them like the plague!

Even after doing this on a couple of my work laptops, I was finding that the anti-virus software would still ignore what I told it to do, so I tried another, and another, and another......

Eventually after trying over 10x Antivirus programs I came to the conclusion that even when told that the essential programs I use for work are safe, it would STILL delete them. The only solution was no antivirus at all, then all my work stuff works!

This is one of the reasons that instead of only having one machine to do what I do, which normally would be perfectly fine, I have 3 running all the time, that way if one goes down, I just move to the next so I can still earn money.

Of course, YMMV, but I hope this helps!

Thanks Unlocker, will try this. And if it doesn't work I've got the AVG option recommended by jchis1.

I almost got a Macbook in the summer. Ironically, one reason why I didn't was because PSP X2 (as there's no Apple version) wouldn't work unless I installed Windows on part of it.

What's YMMV?!
Mhuni

500px
techno-terminator
Posted 04/12/2009 - 13:19 Link
Your Mileage My Vary

Otherwise known as your view of things may not be the same as mine

In preparation for playing with editing stuff from my K-x I have already downloaded the stuff from Adobe.

And the K-x is now in my hands and I"m getting the feel of it
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Photomonk
Posted 04/12/2009 - 14:55 Link
technoidiot wrote:
In preparation for playing with editing stuff from my K-x I have already downloaded the stuff from Adobe.

And the K-x is now in my hands and I"m getting the feel of it

I think I see a copy of Photoshop Elements in your very near future.
Edited by Photomonk: 04/12/2009 - 14:55

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.