Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Which flash

mattox
Posted 03/04/2014 - 21:49 Link
After 15 years of photography, never considered flash photography. Now that we have a newborn in the house some flash photography is making sense. But which flash. Don't want to spend a great deal, as it really isn't my thing most of the time. Was contemplating the Metz 36. Any thoughts ??
stub
Posted 03/04/2014 - 22:29 Link
Manual flash with only vertical swivel. Minimal controls. Would not be my choice.. Yongnuo 560ii at around 40 is a far better choice in my opinion. Though I'm sure others will have their own opinions.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
CIBarker
Posted 03/04/2014 - 22:32 Link
I've a Metz36, which is a solid enough cheap on camera flash, but around the same sort of price particularly used I'd probably say to go for Sigma ef-500 st or super or even 530 if you can find one, principally because you'll be able to bounce of the ceiling in portrait mode with the swivel head and it's slightly more powerful. You should be able to pick up a good used sigma for 50-60. The super is perhaps worth the little bit extra as it has off camera functionality as a slave. I'm sure there'll be a lot of advice for the Pentax 36 flash but the model I had the battery door wasn't very durable and they carry a premium price even second hand, and the guide number is no more powerful than the 50 Metz.
CIBarker
Posted 03/04/2014 - 22:40 Link
Don't worry about Metz being a manual flash, it isn't. The Pentax specific model has P-TTL, hence the limited manual controls, it doesn't need them. The camera will calculate the amount of flash power required, when using bounce any additional flash required can be added through the camera flash settings.
Yongnuo flash however is fully manual albeit with a large range of manual controls. Maybe not the best though when working with young children and you've got limited opportunities for the right shot.
davidstorm
Posted 03/04/2014 - 23:36 Link
A lot depends on the camera body you are planning to use it with. If it is a K-5, forget the Metz as it will be a complete waste of time. The K-5 is unreliable in the extreme with a Metz P-TTL flash like the 36. I know because I had this combination and the exposure results were dire. If you have a K-5, get a manual flash like the Yongnuo or a Neewer 560 Speedlite.

If you have a K-3 it's a different matter, the K-3 works properly with P-TTL flash and great results can be easily obtained with such as the Metz 36.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
JonSchick
Posted 03/04/2014 - 23:38 Link
Another Yongnuo fan here, as long as you are ok with a manual flash. Very capable gun, well made and ridiculously good value for money.
Jon

Some occasional random stuff at The Photographers Block: link
mattox
Posted 04/04/2014 - 17:26 Link
That is very interesting. Well I have a k5 so the comments kind of deter me away from the metz flash. So, Yongnuo hey. I had a look on eBay and for 65 euro I can pick up a nice yn560. The manual thing doesn't seem to bother me to be honest. I find that when you do use a flash you generally have the time to set up for your shots so you can take time. I would personally only be using it for portrait shots, so that's fine. Thanks so much for the feedback guys. Think I might read into this 560 and if the reviews are good, I'll go for it
mivoligo
Posted 04/04/2014 - 19:05 Link
I'm also thinking about getting a flash. My question is: what are advantages, if any, to get Yongnuo 560II over the older Yongnuo 560? Also is it worth to add a little bit money to get 560III? For the record I do use k5.
stub
Posted 04/04/2014 - 19:34 - Helpful Comment Link
Before anyone asks. I'm not on commission...lol The Yongnuo 560 is now pretty much obsolete. The 560ii Is manual GN58. Has a digital back panel. Support for high speedcontinuous shooting. 8fps. Power Zoom facility. The 560iii Has an in built radio receiver to work alongside the Yongnuo RF-602 or RF-603 trigger. If you want to use off camera. Both are supplied with foot and case..

Readily available from Amazon...
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
Edited by stub: 04/04/2014 - 19:36
mattox
Posted 04/04/2014 - 21:06 Link
Looked up all the reviews. Very very well recommended all round. Sounds like a winner for me. Excuse my flash ignorance, but the flash is universal? Fits onto any digital slr? Oh yeh, found the flash on amazon just now. 50!!!!!!!!!!
Edited by mattox: 04/04/2014 - 21:12
mivoligo
Posted 05/04/2014 - 10:42 Link
Stuart, thanks for explanation.
Webbi
Posted 05/04/2014 - 20:33 Link
I had a YN560III and a set of RF-603II Yongnuo triggers delivered this week and have been having a play. I have to agree with what many have been saying and recommend them both. Really well made (being a Chinese brand I was wary) and work brilliantly.

Manual flash takes very little time to learn and really helps in developing your skills. Plus I have found that P-ttl is a bit rubbish on my KR & K5 and use my Af360FGZ in manual anyway.

Since the YN560III is only about 50 new, try it. If it isn't for you, stick it on eBay and you will almost certainly get at least 40 back for it.
K5, Kr, old & new lenses, flashes, bits & bobs.
Class_A
Posted 13/04/2014 - 23:12 Link
davidstorm wrote:
If it is a K-5, forget the Metz as it will be a complete waste of time.

That's not true.

The P-TTL flashes issues of the K-5 occur with other flashes as well. Not the fault of the Metz.

The YN560-III is a good flash, but I'd recommend one whose power can be remote controlled via a radio trigger. The YN560-III is rumoured to support this, but the corresponding trigger is yet to be released.

Have a look at the Cactus RF60 as well. It can work as a master flash on the hot-shoe, remote controlling other flashes (via radio), or you can use the Cactus V6 radio trigger to remote control the power of an off-camera RF60 (and many other flashes).
davidstorm
Posted 13/04/2014 - 23:15 Link
I didn't say it was the fault of the Metz, I said it was a waste of time with a K-5! I don't think I was wrong. The K-5 is poor with P-TTL flashes.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.