Which composition?

OldTaffy

Link Posted 22/10/2016 - 23:42
I'm not much of a "scene" photographer, and I can't make up my mind which of these two views are preferable. Both show the boat park at Runswick Bay, in North Yorks, with a brisk north-east wind blowing the Seaside Award flag out horizontally. The top image (IMGP 0890) has the boats overlapping slightly, which I prefer to the second. However, the second image (IMGP 0893) has the flag better located against the cliff in the background. Which of these two images do members think the better?

Thanks,

Martin
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 23/10/2016 - 07:13
The first one is better. I don't like unexplained things intruding from the edge of a picture.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

AndrewA

Link Posted 23/10/2016 - 09:17
Agree the first image works the best for me too for the same reason.
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

stub

Link Posted 23/10/2016 - 10:37
No1..... Though personally I would also take out the boat trailer in the bottom right of the image....
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

bforbes

Link Posted 23/10/2016 - 10:54
If you prefer the second, because of the flag, why not crop it to tidy up the bottom and right hand edges?
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

Carol8345

Link Posted 23/10/2016 - 14:33
I prefer the first one as well, I would also stamp the poles out of the image, they are distracting to me
My Instagram

OldTaffy

Link Posted 23/10/2016 - 18:53
Thanks to you all for your helpful comments. I agree that some cropping, and maybe clonestamping should be done: the images are more-or-less straight off the memory card except for slight adjustment of brightness.

I confess that I don't really 'understand' Art. I'm more autistic than artistic, and I seem to use my cameras primarily to record things that interest me. If I can compose a decent picture, then well and good, but as you see I'm not very skilled at it. I like the top photo because the boat hulls all overlap a bit. Then I moved because I wanted to include the Whitby fishing boat registration mark (WY366) of J T GANNET in the image. I can see that the hoops are visually distracting, but they are an integral part of these fishing boats, so I will not clone them out. I seem to be recording a scene to "Geograph" standards, rather than creating a pleasing image. Well, I guess that's just me!

All your comments, from a variety of points of opinion, have been most helpful. Thanks.

Martin

PS: I thought that I saw a man with a red K-50 around Runswick Bay a week or two ago. I did not have the chance to say 'hello' - was it one of you?

Carol8345

Link Posted 23/10/2016 - 20:39
OldTaffy wrote:

Martin

PS: I thought that I saw a man with a red K-50 around Runswick Bay a week or two ago. I did not have the chance to say 'hello' - was it one of you?

Wasn't me, I have a black one
My Instagram

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 24/10/2016 - 14:00
The opening image works better out of the two but for me I think they both don't work compositionally.

I put a rule of thirds overlay onto your image. There are other composition rules such as golden ratios, balancing elements, leading lines, symmetry etc but looking at your image the rule of thirds, arguably the most popular composition seemed to suit better

The row of boats hits the bottom third line which compositionally is good but the eye doesn't stay on them. It moves around the frame to the flag where it points left and the eye follows to an area that distracts from the main element of the image. The row of houses dominates the image and as the eye settles back to the bottom of the frame it then see's the other half house and the tractor unit. The tractor again is a large object in the frame that the eye settles on due to its size and the half house leads the eye out of the frame. The metal inverted 'hoop' that goes over the boat in the far right boat is also half missing so again leads the eye out.

On the plus side if it's local you are able to revisit and see how it looks from other angles, reviewing the images on the camera screen to see what is actually in the image, both foreground and background as well as the edges. If that tractor ever shifted and it was a foggy day then it'd be a different image all together!!
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax D FA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm ii HSM Macro - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

OldTaffy

Link Posted 25/10/2016 - 12:38
Many thanks Gareth for going to so much effort to comment. You are perfectly right - I vaguely remember reading about the principles of composition years ago: the golden ratio, thirds, etc. My photo offends all these rules and I confess that when I clicked I was mainly concerned to get a record of what the village boat park had in it, in the way of fishing boats (sadly no traditional wooden cobles any more, and two of the ones in my photo are fibreglass 'double-enders'). I was trying to frame things to look "nice", but had I been keen to get a lovely image I wouldn't have bothered with the boat park that day!

Yes, I will be back but Runswick Bay is a 6 hour car journey from home, so we only go there once a year these days.

In the meantime, I settled on the bottom option to send to Geograph, because it includes the boat registration numbers. A little cropping to tidy up but no cloning is permitted for Geograph, where the images should be faithful records of everything in view - litter and telephone wires included! That said, some of the landscapes submitted to Geograph are stunningly beautiful.

Thanks again, Gareth and the rest of you, for forcing me to think clearly about why I was taking photographs.

Martin
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.