Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

which battery

old lens
Posted 17/10/2008 - 17:05 Link
I have a winder ME II and would like to use rechargeable Ni-MH batteries.
Will these cause a problem with the winder or should I stick with alkalines?

Regards
Rick
ttk
Posted 17/10/2008 - 17:20 Link
Rechargeables are ok before Ni-MH I used Ni-Cads in all my winders in my film days. Both types are 1.2 volts which is lower than alkalines which are 1.5 volts..
Tel,
Mannesty
Posted 17/10/2008 - 17:20 Link
I can't imagine that the performance of the Winder ME II will be affected very much by using NiMh batteries.

If you don't use it often, I'd suggest using Sanyo's Eneloop batteries as they have a very low self discharge rate and are said to maintain up to 80% capacity even when not used for a year. The same cannot be said for most NiMh batteries.

I find that after only a few weeks, Uniross batteries can lose their charge.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Edited by Mannesty: 17/10/2008 - 17:21
old lens
Posted 19/10/2008 - 16:39 Link
Thanks for you`re help.
I was just concerned about damaging the winder as it was not designed for rechargeable batteries.

Regards
Rick
Mannesty
Posted 19/10/2008 - 17:51 Link
Don't worry, you won't damage it. Not electrically anyway. Rechargeable batteries have a lower operating voltage (1.2'ish) than alkaline or lead acid batteries (1.5v).

I prefer Eneloop batteries for their charge life, and physical size. They are closer to the size of alkalines whereas I find other rechargeables to be very slightly longer. This will not affect you, but it can reduce the life of some flash gun battery door catches.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
old lens
Posted 19/10/2008 - 18:02 Link
Thats an interesting point about the size of rechargeables.
I have used uniross batteries in a Metz flashgun, and the battery door is a bit akward to close, did`nt realise there is a physical size difference.

Regards
Rick
womble
Posted 19/10/2008 - 20:23 Link
Actually, the MEII winder catch is notoriously weak and can break easily (I was like a pig in smelly stuff when I managed to buy a brand new replacement catch on ebay!) so using the Eneloops might be a good choice for winders as well as flashes.

Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
grumpyguts
Posted 02/04/2011 - 04:01 Link
I found rechargeable (NiMH 1.2V) batteries simply - most likely due to the voltage difference - would not operate the winder motor strongly enough to advance it at all, and were quite useless. I popped in nearly-new alkaline 1.5V cells, and it worked perfectly (and is still doing so, on the same batteries).
Now, maybe my winder needs a service, and a good old lubricate; but that was my experience. Bit of a 8ugger, as I've LOADS of reachargable AA batteries from my learning days with a (still lovely - esp for IR shots - you can SEE the image on the screen, as there must be almost no IR filter over the sensor) Fujifilm S7000 hybrid
If I sound condescending, it's just my style Much more equipment than know-how, so seeking to catch-up.
[K10, ME-super, lenses, flashes old and new (old - Pentax AF160 AF400FTZ; new Metz 58 AF-1, 48 AF-1, 15 AF ring), tripods, filters, connectors, converters, eye-pieces, rings, SPLENDID old Sekonic meter, bellows, 2-way rack, slide copier and lots of bits and bobs for mysterious things I don't have a clue about ...

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.